nook sold out until January! - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Check This Out

Quote Originally Posted by Saylorgirl
    I think a special gift certificate is a brilliant idea!

It is a Good idea. But I rather have the Nook.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Anne

It is a Good idea. But I rather have the Nook.
    Amen to that!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Here is a link to the Nook certificate

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/o...&cds2Pid=30195

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

I pre-ordered today, unfortunately all I'll have on Christmas morning is the Certificate! I did order through ebates and will receive a $21.00 rebate on my purchase, they offer an 8% cash back rebate for all orders placed with B&N!

He's a link if it will help others: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?id=27113892

I tried to post this link in the Promotions area, but it won't let me start a new thread...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    This is either Awesome or bad. LOL I'm glad it has been so popular actually, but I am surprised they didn't have more units made ahead. Seems like with all the electronics selling out quickly in the last few years, they would learn. But I guess they don't want to be the one company that doesn't sell and is stuck with a ton of extra inventory.

Rachel
    More units than what? Remember that B&N had an ebook reader previously. It did not sell. Prediction of demand is tough for the developer of the device.

If you developed the device wouldn't you think its great? The tough part is predicting what other people think of it. Judging by the contents of this and the ebook help forms on bn.com it is not surprising to me that they underestimated the total actual demand. :'(

Running out of units and not having them in stores is ALWAYS a bad idea!

Sure it shows great demand, but not being able to supply that demand can hurt them going into a already weak holiday season.

People want to OPEN and HOLD something tangilbe on X-mass!

Tracking will most certainly show that those wanting an eReader and Nook not available until Jan of 2010, will most likely purchase a Kindle, Sony, or other.

Lot of this happens do to cost cutting and managing inventory. By under estimating consumer purchasing power, B&N dropped the ball.
    This is B&N not being able to correctly project demand and ramp-up production into the Holiday season.

My projection is that while they meet their own lower expected demand, they are giving up massive upside opportunity but trying to manage inventory costs.

And right now it is ALL about cashing in on opportunity.

Someone in logistics will most likely get the Axe as their holiday gift!

While my wife did order a Nook for me (pre-November), I have never been impressed with B&N's business acumen.

Administrator

While I agree that B&N should have had more supply to meet the demand, it does seem that every company is running into this when they release the newest gadget. When K2 was released it sold out right away almost, when DX came out it also sold out quick (though neither of these were near the Christmas season). When the xbox, wii or playstation comes out with a new model, it always sells out .....

As someone mentioned this is not B&N first go round with an eReader, and plus they were taking on the Kindle, which is a daunting thing, so perhaps they went conservative or maybe they didn't go conservative at all and the nook truly just surpassed any expectations, I have no idea how many units they had ready to sell at announcement, thousands? hundreds of thousands? a million? But you're right, even if they have already sold a million units, they are obviously missing out on more customers as many have not ordered yet and are quite upset that they will not be getting theirs till after Christmas. I think they will be just fine in the long run though. Consumers are resilient and will forget this whole thing in 6 months or so (just as they have already forgotten how many times the Kindle has sold out on them).

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

Default Nook sold out until 2010

It's official. Not bad when you consider they sold out of everything ready for this year in about 30 days or so. Santa ordered mine in the first wave of preorders.

http://www.dailytech.com/Barnes+and+...ticle16918.htm
    Site http://www.nook-look.com/
    Blog http://www.ossramblings.com/
    Twitter http://www.twitter.com/tonymaro
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tonymaro
    Linked-In http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonymaro

I always figured the best way to defend an online persona is to make it ubiquitous

Administrator

Default Re: Nook sold out until 2010

You are lucky to have gotten in on this early!! I am going to combine this with another thread we have about this so we can keep it all together!

Cheers!!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Mowgli

Default Re: nook sold out until January!

Quote Originally Posted by LaManchaDQ
    If you developed the device wouldn't you think its great? The tough part is predicting what other people think of it. Judging by the contents of this and the ebook help forms on bn.com it is not surprising to me that they underestimated the total actual demand. :'(
    Lost sales that a company may never realize is never a good thing. There is probably a small upside to having some inventory limitations as far as news coverage is concernced, but I can't imagine that losing sales during the holiday season is a good thing. B&N won't see revenue no matter how much chatter is out there, and people that might have been willing to purchase for the holidays may spend their money elsewhere and post-holidays have no extra money to cover a Nook. And the hype will have died down somewhat by then so any benefit from the stories about being out of stock will be gone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast