nook sold out until January! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Re: nook sold out until January!

No matter how the spin-doctors want to spin it, B&N dropped the ball on this one. BIG TIME. I could see running out of inventory mid-December so that anyone who wanted it for the holidays would be S.O.L. if they waited until December 18th to order/purchase... but... running out of inventory 5 weeks prior to the biggest gift-giving day of the year and before a physical device is ever available? Bad move. It completely and 100% shows the inability of corporate to baseline a supply-chain model out of the gate. Word is that Sony is out of stock or in limited-availability mode on their new e-reader. The big winner in all of this will be Kindle.

Let's see...
    • can't touch it
    • can't order it for Christmas
    • can't get a full refund once you receive & open it

the list grows daily. Sad to say I don't think this attempt by B&N to get into this market space is going to fare better than their last since they still can't seem to define a decent business-model around what seemed to be a great value-proposition.

B&N should be hoping and praying that once people DO get their paws on nook next week that there are no technical glitches or distribution-chain glitches since any such problems will be widely reported by the media which is eager for such info! Those who have pre-ordered will have the ultimate opportunity to cancel thus leaving B&N with an unexpected product surplus.

Sure, I've pre-ordered mine but won't hesitate to cancel the order if the product is actually an unworthy Kindle-competitor once it finally arrives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Agreed..

It might be a rocking device (even the best eReader to day) - I have one on order - BUT - B&N continues to fail in execution. I am really surprised that they have not been gobbled up. They continue to play the "Catch up" game.

Love the Nook (from what I know and have read), have never been a fan of B&N's full lack of business acumen.

Mowgli

The mistake both B&N and Sony made was to try and bite into the Christmas buying season when neither were fully ready for it. They're are hoping for brand loyalty for the consumer to sit and wait until the product arrives, while at that same time playing like thay had more than enough product and were suprised by the high demand. I believe both knew all along that that didn't have enough product to meet demand for the Holiday season.
    Audible Listening: Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
    Kindle Reading: The Trophy Hunter by J.M. Zambrano
    Nook Reading: Analog SF Magazine July/August 2011

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMar

• can't get a full refund once you receive & open it

Sure, I've pre-ordered mine but won't hesitate to cancel the order if the product is actually an unworthy Kindle-competitor once it finally arrives.
    Just double checking if you know that once you open your nook, you'll be charged a 10% restocking fee. Sounds like you do, but jic...

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Just double checking if you know that once you open your nook, you'll be charged a 10% restocking fee. Sounds like you do, but jic...
    Yes, I stated you can't get a full refund if it's opened. My point was that if once it's actually available (Nov 30th-ish) I hear horror stories or dislike it based on perhaps seeing a demo unit in the store, I will cancel my order outright. I personally feel that restocking fee is the height of outrageousness given the fact you have to order a first generation product sight unseen. At least with Kindle offering a full refund it's making the statement "Hey, check it out, buy it, receive it, try it out... we know you'll fall in love and want to keep it!". What B&N is saying is essentially "Hey, trust us, it's great {wink wink}, go ahead, buy it, we're a reputable brick and mortar store, you knoooooow us, you know you can trussssssssst us, you can belieeeeeeeeeve us, so buy it... but if it's not everything we said it would be then we'll keep 10% of your money but don't worry about that, you can trusssssssst us so buyyyyyyyyyyyy it"

Sorry... something about the delivery of the message reminds me of the guy in the back alley wearing a dark trench coat goin "psssssst... hey lady... wanna buy a Rolex? Of course they're real. Trussssssssst me"

Don't get me wrong... I'm about as excited as can be about nook and hope and pray it's everything we're anticipating... and more. I'd love for this to be hugely successful!!! I'm not a pessimist... rather... I'm an experienced optimist O0

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Silntdrgn7
    The mistake both B&N and Sony made was to try and bite into the Christmas buying season when neither were fully ready for it. They're are hoping for brand loyalty for the consumer to sit and wait until the product arrives, while at that same time playing like thay had more than enough product and were suprised by the high demand. I believe both knew all along that that didn't have enough product to meet demand for the Holiday season.
    Not so much that Sony and B&N themselves weren't ready, but according to analysts with Forrester Research, yeah, they jumped the gun.

Apparently the issue is that Sony and B&N weren't able to give their manufacturers enough lead time to spool up production. So instead of having a reserve stock of 100,000 or 200,000 to sell from in the holiday season, both of them have sold in to future production leaving production lines struggling to catch up to orders.

Tom Sawyer

Another point that I don't think is being mentioned enough is that there are still a very limited number of companies able to manufacture e-ink screens, and with Amazon, Sony, and now B&N along with a number of smaller players all clamoring for cheap e-ink displays I suspect that they may have had very little choice in the maximum number of displays, and hence devices, they could have available in time for the holidays.

And, let's face it, when you have several potential customers trying to get as many displays as possible, who will those manufacturers favor? I would think Amazon, with a proven track record of moving lots of devices. And, who still has plenty of inventory available at this point? Amazon.

I suspect that B&N had little choice in how many devices they could request in time for the holidays because of this, and they may very well have ordered as many as could feasibly still be created and still make the holiday season. It was either release with a limited number, or not release at all, and they probably felt that if they didnt' release this holiday season then Amazon and Sony would have had an even bigger lead that would be that much harder to overcome.

Just speculation, but it's a reason I think is just as, if not more, likely than B&N's having deliberately limited the number of devices to make.

Regard all phenomena as dreams.

Tom Sawyer

When you venture over to the e-ink corporate website it's interesting they mention making the e-ink technology for Amazon's Kindle, Sony's e-reader and a few others as well... but they make no mention of nook :-\

Tom Sawyer

Interesting that when I made my first post about this, there was no thread yet covering the sold-out story (I looked before posting), but my post got moved into the middle of this thread.

I'm not sure everyone understands that B&N can't just pick up the phone and call the factory and say "We need an additional 500,000 units before Christmas." It's not a downloadable product they're selling, it takes real physical materials to build, which has delays in availability of parts, shipping times, manufacture times, and then more shipping times. Simply shipping them from overseas (I think we can all agree they aren't build in the USA) takes and average of 4 to 5 weeks. That's just to SHIP the finished product. I guarantee they won't be airlifting the nook from wherever it's produced - it's gonna ride the waves.

So, you can at least say that B&N did get the orders in as soon as it looked like demand was seriously going to outweigh the initial order. With the first shipment probably arriving in B&N warehouses this week, they had already ordered more within a few days of the announcement based on feedback no doubt. The second shipment probably finished it's production run by the middle of November and got loaded on a boat and is floating in the ocean still.

Sure, we're probably all ticked off about restocking fees, gift cards, etc. But the thing is - with demand outpacing supply so fast obviously most people are tolerating the inconveniences quite well. And as far as restocking fees go, you could probably sell an open Nook on eBay for 10% MORE than what you paid for it if you get it in the first shipment.

I'm thrilled, simply because it means that the digital generation is finally showing a desire to read something other than The Huffington Post.

Site http://www.nook-look.com/
    Blog http://www.ossramblings.com/
    Twitter http://www.twitter.com/tonymaro
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/tonymaro
    Linked-In http://www.linkedin.com/in/tonymaro

I always figured the best way to defend an online persona is to make it ubiquitous

Administrator

Cybermage-

Sorry for moving your thread. I truly appreciate that you tried to look first. The other thread was named something inconspicuous, which I renamed when I saw your thread and then I combined them. Just makes it easier for everyone to comment if all the info is together.

I agree with everything you said in your post, sometimes we forget all the logistics of bringing a product to shelves! Though I think most are wondering about B&N's estimates for their intial order, that maybe that was too low .... I think once time passes people will just forget about this whole thing and be happy to be reading!! I bet that's what B&N is hoping for anyway!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast