PC World - Why the Nook is Worth Waiting For...

jojo

Default PC World - Why the Nook is Worth Waiting For...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Default Re: PC World - Why the Nook is Worth Waiting For...

Great article thanks for sharing it with us!! And welcome to the boards as well!! I hope to see you around.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tiny Tim

Not really a review, but more of an editorial opinion. Lots of bias here, and not much in the way of facts.

PC Magazine is one of the stalwarts of the PC industry, and I used to consider their reviews the most objective, if not the most influential, when I was making my personal computing purchases. However, I had to blink to see that the author was not John Dvorak, the PC community's own Rush Limbaugh.

For the record, I found the in-depth reviews from Engadget, Gizmodo, and CNET to be more comprehensive, and better at providing help, not hype, for this product.

We must all be careful to see nook for what it is -- a great Version 1.0 product that will be a disruptive technology platform -- but not necessarily at first blush! Uncritical criticism and evangelism hurts us all by focusing on the product's sensational aspects, not its underlying strengths and weaknesses. Without our reaction to the latter, the product won't get the kind of user input it needs to evolve and realize its full potential, and we all suffer as a result.
    !PROUD NOOKSELLER!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

I agree njnookman, but this article came out about a week ago before anyone had their hands on the nook, when everyone was jumping ship due to the shipping issue. I think this article was a great one at the time taking all that into consideration. But I totally agree, we need to look at all the things about the nook, good, bad, and ugly as it will help all of us to encourage B&N to make improvements and give their consumers a product they really love.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

I've mostly given up on reviews altogether, I try to find out about specs myself and look at some pics and make my decision based on that. To me it seems like the reviewers are either a) paid to do the review, b) will suffer in the future if they do a bad review, or c) already had their mind made up before doing the review. I'm tired of fan-boys and haters trying to sway decisions and trends. I really long for a reviewing source that can be trusted.

I knew this was a v1.0 product from a company who has had zero success in the tech gadget market place, and as such there would be some issues; but I still ordered it (I've always been an early adopter), and can't wait for my nook to arrive.

Mowgli

Really enjoyed reading the article

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by njnookman
    Not really a review, but more of an editorial opinion. Lots of bias here, and not much in the way of facts.

PC Magazine is one of the stalwarts of the PC industry, and I used to consider their reviews the most objective, if not the most influential, when I was making my personal computing purchases. However, I had to blink to see that the author was not John Dvorak, the PC community's own Rush Limbaugh.

For the record, I found the in-depth reviews from Engadget, Gizmodo, and CNET to be more comprehensive, and better at providing help, not hype, for this product.

We must all be careful to see nook for what it is -- a great Version 1.0 product that will be a disruptive technology platform -- but not necessarily at first blush! Uncritical criticism and evangelism hurts us all by focusing on the product's sensational aspects, not its underlying strengths and weaknesses. Without our reaction to the latter, the product won't get the kind of user input it needs to evolve and realize its full potential, and we all suffer as a result.
    I agree with what you've said, but I think it's helpful to put the PC World article back into context. This article came out before nook actually came out. And from the looks of things, nobody was allowed to give actual reviews until sometime late last night. So you can't blame PC World for saying the things it did without providing much information. Chances are, B&N may have had certain rules in place that the media had to follow in terms of when it was allowed to release its actual reviews of nook.

--Roxie