Your opinion of the nook! Rate 1-10 ... - Page 2

View Poll Results: Is the nook worth buying?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll

160 35.56%

120 26.67%

92 20.44%

35 7.78%

14 3.11%

11 2.44%

3 0.67%

5 1.11%

3 0.67%

7 1.56%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    mfaine

Default Re: Your opinion of the nook! Rate 1-10 ...

Quote Originally Posted by CyberMage
    There's a troll or two in every crowd

That, or I'd say it's probably people ticked that they won't be getting theirs before Christmas. Even if I hated the device, I don't think there's any way it deserves a '1'. Seems to me it would have to only support proprietary DRM books from B&N only, have a screen that was horribly hard to read and crash every 2 page turns to deserve a "1".
    I gave it a 6 but to be consistent in your argument you'd also have to criticize those people that gave it a 10, or even possibly a 9. I don't even give myself a 9, I'm horribly inefficient, my battery always need charging and I crash all the time For a device to be a 10 it probably needs to be the best possible device in a given category, not faults, not a single one, and that device can't possibly exist. 10 on a scale from 1 to 10 should probably never be awarded to any device.

-Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    I gave it a 6 but to be consistent in your argument you'd also have to criticize those people that gave it a 10, or even possibly a 9. I don't even give myself a 9, I'm horribly inefficient, my battery always need charging and I crash all the time For a device to be a 10 it probably needs to be the best possible device in a given category, not faults, not a single one, and that device can't possibly exist. 10 on a scale from 1 to 10 should probably never be awarded to any device.

-Mark
    Well to truly be fair to those that voted 1 or 10 … 1 was that the device was “a piece of junk, don’t buy it”, which of course is subjective and if someone had a bad experience, they may feel this way, which is a completely valid feeling. But I stated that 10 was not “perfection” but that it was “Best, eReader out there right now, buy it” So those that voted 10 weren’t saying it was perfect, but rather they felt it was the best out there considering all other options.

Though I totally agree with you on the perfection thing, I would very rarely rate an item the highest rating if the highest rating meant it was perfect. Nothing is ever perfect.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Nothing is ever perfect.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    My wife thinks that I am perfect! Of course I have her fooled but love is blind! LOL

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Dtexboston

My rating for the Nook is currently an 8 for several reasons. The Device is solid and I recommend the product but it has a few common glitches
    but I believe the updates should fix the problems. Most of the issues are minor and should not be a deal breaker. Some of the reasons is listed below.

1. I am still playing with the device.
    2. The device is not 100% perfect yet, but I assume the updates will solve the issues.
    3. The process of side loading ebooks from a Libraries website is not perfect, there are
    to may steps involved, but like I said some of these issues are minor.

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Well to truly be fair to those that voted 1 or 10 … 1 was that the device was “a piece of junk, don’t buy it”, which of course is subjective and if someone had a bad experience, they may feel this way, which is a completely valid feeling. But I stated that 10 was not “perfection” but that it was “Best, eReader out there right now, buy it” So those that voted 10 weren’t saying it was perfect, but rather they felt it was the best out there considering all other options.

Though I totally agree with you on the perfection thing, I would very rarely rate an item the highest rating if the highest rating meant it was perfect. Nothing is ever perfect.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Ok, but then you should have had a zero. If 1 is the worst rating one can give then it would be the opposite of 9, not 10. Then again, I never get these things. It seems like too difficult a question with so much gray area involved to be able to nail it down to a single number between 1 and 10, but I tried anyway. Every rating is really subjective.

-Mark

Tom Sawyer

Now that I've been using my nook for a week I feel more comfortable weighing in on this subject.

Although I like the concept of the nook, in reality I am disappointed with the number of glitches, hence, my score of a 6. Until the many issues people are encountering are addressed by B&N, this gadget cannot possibly rank higher for me. Just turning a page or getting a bookmark to work is a lengthy process. My nook often takes 10 mins to connect to anything and sometimes I just have to shut it off and go through the lengthy process of getting it to turn back on in order to make headway. Nothing works smoothly with this thing and it is making reading a real drag. Unlike some lucky nook owners, my nook did absolutely nothing different when I brought it into a B&N with the Wi-Fi turned on. No special deals showed up on it, no message, nada. In addition (although not a nook issue per se), because I have been unsuccessful in getting the B&N ereader to load on my Mac (after numerous tries of installing and uninstalling), the whole idea of being able to sideload other content onto my nook is out the window, as is being able to sideload my B&N purchases that may or may not work on my nook (therefore requiring me to delete and then sideload).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    Every rating is really subjective.
    I totally agree

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Mr. Darcy

I was finally able to try two different units yesterday at B&N. My first impression was that the e-ink screen was horrible. The first unit I tried had very light & literally blurry fonts and severe ghosting. The ghosting was so bad that you could literally almost read the previous pages text once you turned the page. I went into it expecting the e-ink screen to have an edge over the Kindle's after reading all the various reviews and reports and knowing it had an arguably better font selection but was a little disappointed in this regard. The second unit I tried was much improved but the fonts were still slightly lighter than I'm accustomed to after using my new K2i. The first Nook's screen may have been a little defective. Please note that from my experience with having had 4 different Kindles I know there can be a lot of variation in the quality of e-ink screens. I very much liked the selection of fonts and would have found this aspect superior had they been a little more contrasty. I liked the general operation better than anticipated. The latest firmware was already installed and it was generally faster than expected with one exception.. It still took a very long time to Format new books. I opened I "New" book and waited at least a couple of minutes before I had to leave and it was still formatting as I left. I found operations like shopping the eBook store to be on par with my experience with Amazon's Kindle. The color LCD was better than anticipated. I don't think that user photos and videos really do it justice. The hardware was very nice and I felt that it would probably be much more ergonomic than Kindle(it felt much heavier though). The only other thing that I would note that as someone with a slight case of ADD I found myself having difficulty switching focus between the two screens though I'm sure after awhile I would get acclimated to it. I have given it a 7 out of 10 rating and would rate it much higher with a more refined OS and maybe a better e-ink screen. I know the latest firmware has made some improvements but it's not quite there, yet. Overall I'm just as torn as I was before but for completely different reasons. I think for the time being I'm going to continue with my pre-order of the Nook but if there are any significant delays(Jan 11th ship date) I may cancel and wait to see what revisions come.

Jeremy,

I don't have my nook yet so I can't say for sure but I think it is possible that the instore units you looked at do not have the settings optimized for best viewing. The unit I looked at at my local store was very very clear. I was chacking it against the sony eink and decided to wait for my order once I saw how much better the nook screen was. I have read many reports by users who have owned the Kindle and thought the nook screen was a slight improvement. So something had to be wrong with those demos.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

Kevin,

I assume that the first one I tried was defective. It was really that bad. The second one was much better but as I said was a little lighter than my Kindle. I just received my latest Kindle less than 2 weeks ago and the screen was a huge improvement over my last K2 and very contrasty which is something I've heard from everyone that has received the International version lately. I'm not going to judge it to harshly from screen problems because I had to have my Kindle 2 replaced twice within the first week back in February (one for screen related problems.) I'm sure the screen is exactly the same model between the Nook and Kindle(possibly different display controllers though). It could just be a quality control issue. The font choices were a refreshing change from the Kindle though.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast