I got a cookie!!!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default I got a cookie!!!

So with the kids gift cards burning holes in their pockets we headed out to our local capitalism mecca in order to do our part in stimulating the economy. As I am not all that interested in shoes I took my Nook and headed into the local B&N. I had heard that the stores would not have their exclusive Nook content stuff set up till mid January but I thought I would ask just in case. The kid behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about and called the owner/manager who assured me they were up and running. I wandered over to the Cafe section, ordered a coffee and settled in to play. Sure enough my little nookie (As it is named) connected right away and it even had a welcome screen pop up telling me where to navigate to for the in store content. I went into the shop area and noticed that at the bottom of the reading screen it had an area set up for special offers. I started to scroll through them and the second one in declared "Take your nook up to the cafe counter and show it to the clerk with this code to get a free cookie!" Needless to say I did and in the words of Homer Simpson....

MMmmmmmm! Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookie!!

And they even warmed it up for me! It's the little things that impress and amuse me!

On the down side though they did not have it set up where you could read books for an hour yet. Just samples. I guess that is still in the works. It was kind of neat seeing the little B&N icon appear at the top of my screen. And I did get a lot of interest with my nook. I was evidently one of a very few that had actually been in the store with one.
    'Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Default Re: I got a cookie!!!

Woot!! Free cookie!!! Our favorite .... yum yum

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

d'Artagnan

Yes!!!!! I love free cookies!

(Although, I don't need any more sweets. I have three pretty much untouched holiday pies in the refrigerator at the moment.)
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

When I took mine to Barnes and Noble, it recognized the store and the special offers showed up, but no free cookie offer
    I could have probably gone to the cafe and gotten one (but not so sure, they can be kinda clueless there sometimes), but since we have had our share of sweets this week, decided to see if the offer came up on another visit. I did get a free Dean Koontz book while there!
    I told my husband this morning that I wanted to go back to B&N today just to see if they were offering a free book today. He laughed and said "Honey, that's the point. They offer you free things and they get you in the store!" I know they do that, but it was funny to see myself fall into their trap so fast!
    If I were given the opportunity to present a gift to the next generation, it would be the ability for each individual to learn to laugh at himself.-Peanuts

Tom Sawyer

Yep, I totally agree. Lets see..... While I was in the store I got a Peppermint Mocha...... Then the wife and kids came in and they all wanted something to drink too...... Then while I was enjoying my "free" cookie, sipping on my mocha, and surfing with my nook the wife found some Christmas puzzles she couldn't live without. "They are on sale!!!" Then my daughter found a Nightmare Before Christmas trivia game she wanted........ My son found a board game he wanted since everyone else was getting something....... Then while I was waiting to check out I picked up the new Buzz Aldrin book and got interested in it....... Downloaded it before I left the store.......

So all in all I guess the "free" cookie wound up costing about seventy bucks!!

To quote Admiral Akbar.... "It's a trap!"

Really good book so far though. It has supplanted Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" as my current read.

'Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.'

I would love a free cookie.

I went to one of our local B&Ns today and it connected immediately to the wifi there and recognized I was in the store. There were several free offers and one was a Dean Koontz but when I downloaded it it was only 5 pages. So, it was not a full book. No free cookie offer either. We left the store without buying a thing. In fact I actually returned the case I had bought online. I thought it was too feminine for my taste. I'm probably going to buy an Overon one.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    I went to one of our local B&Ns today and it connected immediately to the wifi there and recognized I was in the store. There were several free offers and one was a Dean Koontz but when I downloaded it it was only 5 pages. So, it was not a full book. No free cookie offer either. We left the store without buying a thing. In fact I actually returned the case I had bought online. I thought it was too feminine for my taste. I'm probably going to buy an Overon one.

Kevin

Now we know the Dean Koontz book is only 5 pages not a full book.

Tom Sawyer

I brought my nook to the mothership today. I pulled up and picked up the B&N signal in the parking lot and when we went in we sat at the cafe and looked through the in store offers. FREE COOKIE!!! needless to say, my son was very excited. They said my nook was the first "real" one to come into the store. The bookseller working the nook display was really excited to see mine, as he has only worked with the display ones-which do run a bit slower than a real nook, because of being handled so frequently.

Now I'm going to have to drop by one of my local stores when I get home next week.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast