Libraries with e-books - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tiny Tim

Default Re: Libraries with e-books

I live in Ohio and I got a library card from the Columbus library online. I can use it for downloaded content, and do not have to even got to a physical library to activate it. Maybe that could be an option for some of you guys (not necessarily Ohio) but a larger library in your home state.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

OMG, OMG, OMG!

I live in the Poconos, in PA, and I was just able to apply for a library card on-line from the Free Library of Philadelphia, using the ACCESS PENNSYLVANIA program, which allows all Pennsylvania residents who belong to a library who participates in that program to get library cards for other participating libraries FOR FREE! And FLP uses Overdrive! SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

You western PAers should check this out...your home library card should have a blue sticker on it that says ACCESS PENNSYLVANIA if they participate in the program.

Mr. Darcy

That's awesome! I'm with the Carnegie Library and they use Access Pennsylvania! I will definitely have to check the Free Library of Philadelphia out.

Thanks for the info!

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

gadgetdude

Quote Originally Posted by mmc29
    OMG, OMG, OMG!

I live in the Poconos, in PA, and I was just able to apply for a library card on-line from the Free Library of Philadelphia, using the ACCESS PENNSYLVANIA program, which allows all Pennsylvania residents who belong to a library who participates in that program to get library cards for other participating libraries FOR FREE! And FLP uses Overdrive! SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

You western PAers should check this out...your home library card should have a blue sticker on it that says ACCESS PENNSYLVANIA if they participate in the program.
    In Michigan we have something similar called the Michigan Library Consortium that I've used for years with audio books. Originally my city library wasn't a member but our county system was so I got a card there. They are up to 25 libraries now so there are a lots of options to get access if you live in Michigan. They currently carry 346 ePub books and 1697 PDF ebooks where the majority of them are fiction (and newer - not the long list of classics you can get elsewhere). It appear that there are a lot of authors/publishers that get it because they will offer 1 or 2 books from the beginning of a series with the intent that you can buy more from an ebook retailer of you like something. I have built up quite the long wishlist waiting for my nook to arrive.

Tom Sawyer

I have been rather surprised to see how many people's libraries do not have ebooks. We are small town and ours has over 5500 titles in epub/pdf. I saw a lot of the current best sellers when I was browsing. The downside was the waiting list on all of them, but I just loaded up on holds. So thrilled to know I will have access to lots of good free books!!

Mr. Darcy

I went to my library yesterday and asked about ebooks, and they said they're looking into it but it's still in the beginning stages. So I probably won't be seeing ebooks there anytime soon... :/ I have high hopes for the future, though. After all, just a few years ago their system wasn't computerized at all; my library card was a flimsy piece of card stock that had a number written on it, and to check out a book you would write the number on the card at the front of the book. Now not only is everything on the computer, they have downloadable audiobooks, a nice website, a Facebook page, and so on.

Mowgli

I absolutely love Overdrive (and thanks Nookboards...someone mentioned it and I just followed the arrows! ) to get to my library. The only thing that I don't really like is having to wait for these ebooks. I would think in this format, there shouldn't be a wait to borrow but there is. Took almost three weeks to borrow The Man Who Loved Books Too Much (great read!) and it was so easy to download and then push into my Nook. This morning I downloaded Perfection and will start enjoying it soon. I've also starting to maintain an ewishlist with the NYPL so as I return books, I can request new ones that I know is available in the proper format.
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jen_NY10021/
    Current Read: Drinking by Caroline Knapp

wdblevin

Quote Originally Posted by inkonvelvet
    I just got off the phone with my local library. They said they will not be carrying regular ebooks because they can't afford to circulate ebook readers. *sigh* I tried to explain about being able to read ebooks on your computer or that some of us actually own ebook readers, but the woman to whom I spoke wasn't even slightly interested in hearing what I had to say. Oh well.
    Don't feel left out... See the following nookboards posting for what kind of feedback I got from our County library about ebooks - Do a search for 'So many people still don't *get* e-readers' (« Reply #28 on: Today (01/25/2010) at 09:11:53 PM »)

Puck

I'm in Maryland. The Maryland digital library consortium has 1578 e-book titles for people with a Maryland county library card (any county). All you need is Adobe Digital Editions. I downloaded a book and sideloaded it to my nook, no problem. I can open and read it. However, many of these e-books are in pdf which can have some formatting issues if you choose to try reflowing.

wdblevin

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    Don't feel left out... See the following nookboards posting for what kind of feedback I got from our County library about ebooks - Do a search for 'So many people still don't *get* e-readers' (« Reply #28 on: Today (01/25/2010) at 09:11:53 PM »)
    I used Overdrive to locate which libraries in our area had eBooks. It pointed me to the Wisconsin Public Library Consortium (WPLC).

Since I had already gotten a local library card, I will able to create an account with the WPLC. Since absolutely none of the books I was interested were immediately available, I put those I wanted on hold.

After 2 weeks, I got notified that two of the six (which was the maximum I could put on hold at one time) were available for download.

I was given 3 days to download those two otherwise they would be given to the next person who had requested them.

Now I have 7 days to read the two I downloaded before they are returned to the system. They show up in ADE like that as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123