My nook is getting expensive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default My nook is getting expensive!

I have noticed that I am going through books a lot faster since I got my nook. I think it is a combination of faster and easier page turns (as opposed to flipping pages on a book), the size of the nook allowing me to carry it to places I normally wouldn't take a regular book to, and lack of a visual indicator of how much you have been reading (bookmark in a real book).

Some of it my be that the last few books I have read were very good and engaging. No matter what the factors are though, what it adds up to is more money going to B&N!

Anyone else noticed this?
    'Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.'

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Default Re: My nook is getting expensive!

I completely agree. I seem to always have my nook at hand. I've read three books this week and have burned through a $100 gift card shopping on the nook. Thank goodness my birthday is next month and I'll get my usual BN gift cards from family and friends.

CandyNJ66

I have a lot of free ebooks on my nook and books I already had that I also sideloaded so not really a money factor. I have read more in the last 3 days since I got my lovely Nook this past sunday than I ever have in the last year!

I'm reading left and right with my Nook! I Love it

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

I have read so much since I got my Nook too. I have made SURE to side load books so that I can intersperse the purchased books with free ones... it helps keep my book spending under control
    “Patience; n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.”

Absolutely! I can't believe how much money I have spent on books since getting my nook.

Tiny Tim

Yup, yup!
    I have bought 40 books in the month I've had it (ouch!). I haven't bought a single paper book though. I wonder how that will impact physical store sales? Am I the only one who has gone paper free or are there others here? I asked at my local bn if they get any credit at all if I buy the e-book while in their store and they said no. Too bad because all those books would have been bought in store before i bought my nook. I hope it dosen't end up eventually closing stores and becoming e-only (a la amazon) because I really still do like to take a look at the book first in the book store still, i like to sit and read my nook while enjoying a drink and cookie spending my Saturday's relaxing in the bookstore. I am sure the sales people think I am a nut picking out tons of books, buying them on the nook and then piling up the books again.

Tiny Tim

I purchased the Nook solely for the Gutenberg.org website as well as to borrow from my public library. So far so good, I haven't spent any money. But I also have a HUGE pile of unread paper books to wade through. So I am good.

I won't have to actually buy a book for a long time, although there are some authors that I must buy when they are first released

Mowgli

To keep me from going totally nuts when it comes to feeding my Nook, I've been (1) selling the DTBs on half.com and use proceeds to buy eBooks, (2) using points from my AMEX to get BN gift certs, (3) borrowing from NYPL for the ones I don't really need to buy, (4) buying via bing cashback which cuts $1 off each eBook. Any combination should save you some money to buy more eBooks and this cycle continues. . .
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jen_NY10021/
    Current Read: Drinking by Caroline Knapp

Mowgli

The first book I read on the Nook was one that I had gotten for xmas before finding out I was getting the Nook. As I read I would go in periodically and check the spot in the book and I was going through it at an amazing pace. Faster than I had ever gone through a real book. For me it has a lot to do with the fact that I can hold the Nook in one hand and still turn the page without using both hands. Its very convenient. And it is very, very easy on my eyes. I find that I do not get the headaches that I had been getting while reading real books.
    You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by TnFlightMedic
    No matter what the factors are though, what it adds up to is more money going to B&N!
    My husband would say this means that Barnes and Noble has accomplished their goal!
    If I were given the opportunity to present a gift to the next generation, it would be the ability for each individual to learn to laugh at himself.-Peanuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast