feeling really dumb - can't figure out how to transfer ADE books to the nook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default feeling really dumb - can't figure out how to transfer ADE books to the nook!

I feel SO dumb! I know there is something simple I must be missing. A few weeks ago I downloaded about 40 ebooks from Project Gutenberg. They are currently stored in ADE. So I went to ADE and I had my nook plugged into my computer, so it showed up as a device, but when I tried to 'drag and drop' the books onto the nook it wouldn't let me.

For the future, is there an easier way to get books onto my nook? (I haven't bought any e-books from B&N yet, I am pretty sure I can figure that out easily enough) it's just I have all those other books already on my computer waiting to be read..lol

I also saw mention of Calibre, should I download that program as well?

Thanks for the help in advance!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: feeling really dumb - can't figure out how to transfer ADE books to the nook!

You can store and move books to the nook from ADE but the books you download must be epub for ADE to recognize them.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Super Moderator

Default Re: feeling really dumb - can't figure out how to transfer ADE books to the nook!

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    You can store and move books to the nook from ADE but the books you download must be epub for ADE to recognize them.
    The books I downloaded from Project Gutenberg are all EPUB files, I just double-checked to be sure. Maybe I am not transferring them correctly? The only way I knew how to do it was to hook the nook up to the computer, it showed up as a device on ADE, and then I tried to drag and drop the books I wanted into the Nook (it showed up like a shelf on the side) but it said the content couldn't be copied or something. (Not sure if that is the exact error I received but something close.)

Should I just avoid using the ADE route and go with Calibre, and if so, is it easy to transfer the 40-some books I have on ADE into Calibre?

I can't believe I am not getting this..lol
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Do not drag and drop to the nook. You need to drag and drop to the icon at the bottom left corner in ADE

Puck

Default Re: feeling really dumb - can't figure out how to transfer ADE books to the nook

I think you would be happier using Calibre. Be sure to watch the demo video on the front page of the website.

Tiny Tim

Technically you don't even need a program to side load books from project gutenberg. All I did was download them to a folder on my computer and then when I connected my nook to my laptop using the USB cable I just copied them from that folder to the My Documents folder on the nook drive.

As for ADE I think there is some step to authorize your computer before you can start using it-did you do that yet?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rdfry
    Do not drag and drop to the nook. You need to drag and drop to the icon at the bottom left corner in ADE
    I'm confused, I think maybe I confused you in what i was saying too. What I meant was I opened up ADE, i dragged and dropped a book from the right side of ADE and placed it over the spot that said Nook on the left side of ADE. I didn't have another window opened.

What icon are you referring to? The + sign for a new bookshelf, or the icon labeled Options?

What is weird is that all of my Project Gutenberg files are in EPUB format. I also downloaded an ebook from the public library system and it showed up in ADE and I tried the same method as I had with my other ebooks - except this time it was a complete success. I had no problems at all.

I am mystified.

I know this question is off-topic but I also downloaded the new ALice in Wonderland wallpaper from B&N and it's not showing up on my nook either. It's in my nook folder, in the right place for wallpapers, but it's zipped, do i have to manually unzip it and transfer the unzipped images into my nook? because right now they aren't coming up...

yes, i made the authorization.
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Puck

I use ADE a few times for books I purchased from Kobo. So far it sounds like you have done everything right. Once you see the books in ADE and have dragged them onto nook icon on left side, disconnect your nook (eject in Windows), go into my documents on your nook and select 'check for new content' and the books should appear in your list there.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phlieger
    I use ADE a few times for books I purchased from Kobo. So far it sounds like you have done everything right. Once you see the books in ADE and have dragged them onto nook icon on left side, disconnect your nook (eject in Windows), go into my documents on your nook and select 'check for new content' and the books should appear in your list there.
    That's exactly what I tried to do but when the book i'm dragging gets to the nook icon in ADE it says it's not allowed to copy. Even though the books are EPUB from Project Gutenberg.

I'm thinking of just deleting them all and figuring out a new way to get them - seems like it'd be easier! lol
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Oliver

This is kind of on-off topic:

How is the quality of the EPUB books from Project Gutenberg. I just downloaded Jane Eyre and Anne of Avonlea last night but have not yet moved them to the Nook. Do they look "right" when read on the Nook?

Thanks in advance for your answer(s)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast