Totally confused!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Totally confused!

It should be a shame to be this confused and not even have a nook yet! I was reading some of the other posts and now I am confused about downloading books from B&N. I was under the impression that I could buy books directly from the Nook while I'm anywhere....in the car, outside, in line at the grocery store....then I read another post and it says you have to have wireless internet at your house? That can't be so! I was under the impression that wireless internet was built into the nook for the purchase of ordering books directly from B&N anytime, anywhere. All this confusion has me second guessing my birthday nook purchase.....if I have to download strictly from my computer then that would be a disaster because I have dinosaur dial-up and it wouldn't be worth it. Can someone please clear up the confusion for me? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Totally confused!

A wireless network is not required to purchase books from B&N on your nook. You just need an AT&T wireless signal. I've heard that a wireless network can speed up download times but I've only used AT&T signal and it has been fine. I find it much easier to buy books at B&N website and then 'check for B&N content' from nook to download them but with a dial-up connection your mileage may vary
    Although the nook is my first ereader device, I don't think you will be disappointed. It is a stylish, functional device you will enjoy reading books on for years.

Tom Sawyer

The Nook uses both 3G (AT&T) as well as wifi which means you can connect at home to your home wireless router. I don't have A&T coverage in my area so I rely on the wi-fi connection, however if you're in an A&T coverage area you will be fine.

If you have neither, you can still download books via your computer and sideload them on the Nook but it's not as convenient. Do you have a B&N nearby? You will pick up their wi-fi in stores and have a connection there.

Linda

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

No wireless internet at home.....how do I know if AT&T is in my area? The closest B&N is about 45 minutes away so that's not convenient either. My library has wireless internet...I am sorry for all the questions....I feel like the dumb kid in class!

Mowgli

check the coverage map in att website - http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by chrystal
    No wireless internet at home.....how do I know if AT&T is in my area? The closest B&N is about 45 minutes away so that's not convenient either. My library has wireless internet...I am sorry for all the questions....I feel like the dumb kid in class!
    Yeah, I live just a little further than that away from a B&N, out in a rural area. I'm used to having to travel once a week though if I want to do some shopping. You can use the wireless at your library as long as it doesn't require you to go to a certain webpage first to log in, since the Nook doesn't have a browser.

Good luck - I hope you've got coverage in your area!

Linda
    ps - If you start to consider other eReaders, don't let the Kindle fool you, they use AT&T too now. I purchased a Kindle based on their coverage map telling me I had coverage but when it came I didn't have any kind of signal at all. I have a co-worker who has a Kindle and hers gets a signal, when I called customer support they said that the newer 'global' version have switched to a different provider.

Administrator

Hopefully you have coverage in your home!! But even if you don't, you may as you are out and about town. Remember too that while it's not as convenient, you can move the books over the computer, so it's not like you'd have to be bookless at home if you did not have AT&T coverage there. But, yes, as someone mentioned Amazon has switched their new Kindles to AT&T. I think only their older Kindles use the other network (was it Sprint), so if that is better for you, you'd have to buy the Kindle off eBay. I believe the switch was made late 2009, so you'd need a pre-late 2009 Kindle.

And don't worry about being confused!!!! We have 2 nooks at home, I own this board and the blog, and I still get confused and have to ask our wonderful members here questions!!!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by mykoffee
    Yeah, I live just a little further than that away from a B&N, out in a rural area. I'm used to having to travel once a week though if I want to do some shopping. You can use the wireless at your library as long as it doesn't require you to go to a certain webpage first to log in, since the Nook doesn't have a browser.
    This isn't a problem if you root your nook. I've gone on a few wireless networks that I had to agree to the TOS and used the browser.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Mr. Darcy

Thanks for all of your kind replies! I did go to the AT&T web and there is a wi-fi hot spot at our local McDonald's. Even if there weren't I will still be purchasing the Nook. If it takes too long to download books to my nook from my computer, then I'll just make sure to stock up on plenty of reading material each time I go to my B&N. I'm one of those stay-at-home moms that never do anything for themselves, and this is the ONE thing that I want for myself. Everyone I talk to asks "why do you want that when the library is free?" I can't explain it other than because I want one. LOL! I am sure that I will still be a library user because I won't be able to afford books for it all the time, but my family already knows that from here on out for every holiday just give me B&N gift cards. Thanks again for all of your kindness!

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by chrystal
    Thanks for all of your kind replies! I did go to the AT&T web and there is a wi-fi hot spot at our local McDonald's. Even if there weren't I will still be purchasing the Nook. If it takes too long to download books to my nook from my computer, then I'll just make sure to stock up on plenty of reading material each time I go to my B&N. I'm one of those stay-at-home moms that never do anything for themselves, and this is the ONE thing that I want for myself. Everyone I talk to asks "why do you want that when the library is free?" I can't explain it other than because I want one. LOL! I am sure that I will still be a library user because I won't be able to afford books for it all the time, but my family already knows that from here on out for every holiday just give me B&N gift cards. Thanks again for all of your kindness!
    Be sure to check your library system for ebook availability....

Cheryl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast