Would you recommend a Nook?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plano

Default Would you recommend a Nook?

I have been lurking here now and then since the start of all the Nook talk and am now getting ready to buy 2 or maybe 3 E-Readers. One for mothersday and one for my daughters birthday then maybe a 3rd for myself. I have really narrowed it down to 2 brands... The Nook and the Kindle. My main question is after owning the Nook for a while do you still like it and would you recommend it to others? Has it been for the most part durable?

Thanks in advance.
    Plano

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Would you recommend a Nook?

The nook is one of the best gifts I've ever received and I personally think its a slight step up from the Kindle. I'd happily recommend it to anyone.
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/codefox/
    shout.net/identi.ca: http://ninetail.me/shout/codefox (Join the federated social revolution!)
    blog: http://ninetail.me

Oliver

I've had mine for about 3 months and am very happy with it. I've only had a couple of the infamous freezes in that time and only had to turn it off and back on to fix it. I'm able to get books from a variety of places including free ones from the library and Gutenberg.org. I confess that I've also done some impulse buying when B&N tells me a certain book is on sales.

I like the touch screen and swiping to change pages. The two software updates have both improved the nook - particularly the page turning and book opening speeds. So I'm pretty happy with it. I've even used the web browser to look up words when I'm reading some of the older books I got from Gutenberg. Who knew that a "huswife" was what my mom called a sewing kit (from Jane Austen's Emma).

I definitely recommend it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I have had my Nook for a month now. I LOVE it! I have only had a few freezes that were easily fixed by turning it off and back on again and most of the time it was because I was trying to move too fast (I have the same problem on the computer at times too ) I chose the Nook over the Kindle because of the ability to check out library books and the removable memory card just in case 1500 books isn't enough some day.

Puck

I highly recommend the nook! I received mine for Christmas and have not had a single problem with it. I've never even had a freezing episode. And each software update has only improved it!
    Currently reading:
    Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices Series #1) - Cassandra Clare

Puck

I got my nook in Dec. I LOVE IT!! I am able to read more than before. It's really hard to hold a book and turn the pages when you have kids crawling all over you. With the nook, I can hold it & turn pages with just one hand. My kids also like to take the bookmark out of books.

Personally, I have issues with the way Amazon does business so I try not to give them my money. I like that the nook can support so many different files types & the Android OS was another feature that I liked. I'm about to get a library card from the Philadelphia library (I'm not in PA) so that I can check out ebooks. My local library only does audio books.
    Bethany

d'Artagnan

You will not regret choosing the nook! I enjoy getting library ebooks and love the 3G access to B&N.
    The only problem I have had is sharing it with my wife
    peace out...

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Flip

The only problem I have had is sharing it with my wife
    Well then, you'll just need to get her one too.
    Bethany

Tom Sawyer

I sure would. I tried both the Kindle and the Nook side by side and decided to keep the Nook. It was a hard decision but there were several reasons I chose the Nook over the Kindle -

The reading screen is a little more crisp, the background a little lighter. When reading the same book, same page side by side the Nook utilizes more of it's screen space and will show and extra sentence or two. Not a big deal but I liked that.

The color touchscreen on the Nook is a wonderful touch, I love scrolling through and seeing all the color covers, it makes me feel more like I'm reading an actual book. You don't have the cover flow on books you've sideload (as opposed to purchased at B&N) but it will show a picture of the cover in color at the bottom.

The Nook can utilize wifi, we don't get an AT&T signal here so this way I can connect to our home wireless.

On the Nook you can customize the wallpaper and screensavers, I'm a visual person so this personalization is a nice touch!

On the Nook you can 'lend' books between you, though I haven't tried it myself. You can also read ebooks from your library.

The Kindle is a little lighter but the way the buttons are positioned I kept hitting one by accident when I'd go to pick it up. Annoying.

The Nook reads epub so you have more of a selection of places to purchase your books than on the Kindle.

With the newest Nook update now you can also read for an hour free in store each day, pretty nice!

One thing to be wary of with Amazon/Kindle, they still haven't gotten a Penguin contract worked out so Amazon cannot sell any books published by Penguin from April 1st or later. I'd be very disappointed if I were a Kindle owner right now since Penguin has several of my favorite series.

Linda

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by ashfern
    Well then, you'll just need to get her one too.
    hee hee, that's exactly what she suggested!
    peace out...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast