A Corner for Authors to Chat?

Default A Corner for Authors to Chat?

Could we have a sub-board where the Authors & Readers can chat? Kindle boards has a child board under the Book's thread.

We authors are a chatty bunch.
    K. A. Jordan - Author of Swallow the Moon, Impressive Bravado, and one opinionated blog Jordan's Croft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: A Corner for Authors to Chat?

Isn't that what the "reading nook" sub-board is for?
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Administrator

we do have the reading nook and the author nook, what is your idea in addition to those? I am always up for trying new stuff!!

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I was thinking more of a place where the authors can chat amongst themselves - without knocking the Book Promotion threads around. We stress when the book threads get bumped down.

Readers would be welcome, but it would be a bit more technical - writing, marketing, what worked, what didn't. New Author support - sales chatter. Kind of a water cooler for writers - where Readers can join, but don't have to see it unless they want to.

We get really chatty - a lot of it is on the Kindleboard, as there is spot for that kind of thing. I was thinking a child board under Author nook - Author's Water Cooler.
    K. A. Jordan - Author of Swallow the Moon, Impressive Bravado, and one opinionated blog Jordan's Croft.

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    Isn't that what the "reading nook" sub-board is for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    we do have the reading nook and the author nook, what is your idea in addition to those? I am always up for trying new stuff!!

Rachel
    Quote Originally Posted by K.A. Jordan
    I was thinking more of a place where the authors can chat amongst themselves - without knocking the Book Promotion threads around. We stress when the book threads get bumped down.

Readers would be welcome, but it would be a bit more technical - writing, marketing, what worked, what didn't. New Author support - sales chatter. Kind of a water cooler for writers - where Readers can join, but don't have to see it unless they want to.

We get really chatty - a lot of it is on the Kindleboard, as there is spot for that kind of thing. I was thinking a child board under Author nook - Author's Water Cooler.
    If I may chime in.

When Kindleboards did that, I was all for it. Before the switch, the authors talking about marketing and everything else were piled in with the book promotion threads. Let me say that as an author who saw his book promotion threads take an immediate nose dive because of authors' jibber-jabbering amongst themselves, well, the Writer's Cafe looked like a good idea.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the idea of an author's only nest... I've made some great friends/peers over in the Cafe. But there have been some threads that have not only bristled me, but other authors. I think K.A. knows what I mean.

Simply put, the Writer's Cafe has become filled with drama. There are some good threads -- I enjoy the author's support thread, and the thread with The Davids is always worth a laugh -- but for the most part, it's a place I'm thinking about avoiding. A small group of us have also broken away and started a group on Facebook that is devoid of the drama.

I don't think Nookboards should have everything KB has... of course, I don't exactly have to visit there if I don't want to, I understand that. I'm also trying to be a good doobie while I'm here; I don't want to cause dissension. I'm just saying that a good portion of the authors here on Nookboards are also members on Kindleboards. Why duplicate that type of information (i.e. Is my cover okay? threads, 1,000 books in a month threads, self-published books are swill threads) and possible antagonistic behavior here when it's there?

Just my two pennies.
    Model Agent, Rogue Agent, Double Agent, Royal Switch, etc. (as Sean Sweeney), Turning Back The Clock, The Obloeron Trilogy, One Hero A Savior, A Galaxy At War, among others.

B&N link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/sean-sweeney?store=book (The Body is not mine)

John, I value your opinion and I agree you have a good point. I am seriously considering giving up that board for this one.

I'd like to see a Water Cooler because a) we don't have the drama here. b) writers do stress when chatting overpowers the book threads. c) this is a different board - with it's own quirks. d) it is an alternative place to chat, for all the reasons you stated.

Either way, I'm here to stay, I like the pace, I can make silly jokes without them getting lost.