Hello fellow readers, from an author from South Florida

Tom Sawyer

Default Hello fellow readers, from an author from South Florida

I just wanted to stop in here and introduce myself, to say "hello" and hopefully start to get to know some people here. I'm an avid reader who was recently surprised (shocked is really the word) by a good friend last month when he bought me a Kindle for my birthday. Now, I realize these are the Nook boards ... and I am a fan of eBooks and eBook readers in general. I welcome the surge in eBook popularity and am glad to see people reading on any device they enjoy. New, innovative products that bring more people into the e-reader fold can only help us all in the long run, no matter which e-reader we use.

As an author, I am more than happy for people to enjoy my work in paper, on a Nook, a Kindle, their computer, hieroglyphics, or any other format they may desire. The only thing I WOULD like to see is more standardization on formats so that people can enjoy their eBooks on any device they own. (Of course, it's looking more and more like Amazon is the odd man out here by not supporting ePub.)

Anyway, a little about me ... I grew up in South Florida, but spent several years living in Gainesville, FL, as well as Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA. I went to college at the University of Florida, and on Saturdays you can find me watching Gator football. I went to law school and practiced law for several years (please don't hold it against me -- I hated it!), but recently "retired" and have been writing. I have written two novels, which I talk about in the thread here. And I'm a huge fan of Apple computers, but I don't really see the iPad as an e-reader at all.

Thanks for listening, and I hope to chat with you all soon!
    David Derrico, author of Right Ascension, Declination, & The Twiller
    Available at B&N & Smashwords
    http://www.davidderrico.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hello fellow readers, from an author from South Florida

Welcome David! I'll check out the thread about your books. I enjoy sci-fi but I'm kind of particular.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tom Sawyer

Hello David, Welcome. I just ordered your book. We LOVE the GATORS! Also spend our Sat afternoons watching GATOR football.
    Avista

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Thanks so much for your support!

I am definitely a Gator fanatic ... if you follow the Gators as well, you might find the color scheme of my website a bit familiar.

Tom Sawyer

Great Web Site! Love the colors Ordered your book, but Nook won't arrive until Tuesday. Look forward to reading it.
    Avista

Administrator

Welcome to the boards!! Many of our members own a Kindle as well (myself included), so there is nothing wrong with that!! I agree that healthy competition in the field of eReaders can only benefit the market, so I am glad that there are a few good players out there now. I look forward to checking out your book!!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

Thanks, Avista and Rachel!

I definitely wanted to make clear that, even though I have a Kindle, I certainly don't see Nook-users as the enemy and I'm not here to say one is better than the other. (Some boards can get contentious on the Nook vs. Kindle thing.) In fact, I went into a B&N a few weeks ago to check out the Nook, and I mentioned I had a Kindle and people started asking me a bunch of questions. (The B&N workers kinda sat back with an amused expression as I did their jobs for them and described e-readers. ) What I basically said is that the two devices are much more alike than different (same e-ink screens), and if you're a reader, you will very probably like an e-reader. Which one you get is really personal preference (and where you prefer shopping), but you'd be happy with either one.

I'm just excited to see e-readers and eBooks finally taking off (I've been avidly watching and pursuing the eBook market since 2000). One day, we'll all be reading on holographic projectors and color, full-motion 12" e-Ink screens that fold up to the size of a phone. I don't care what we read on, so long as we're reading ... and competition will only make the devices better and better.