FREE SCI-FI HUMOR NOVEL: Call Me Ishmael

red egg.jpg

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/26869

After Ishmael's boat sinks, he is thrust into a struggle to preserve the universe from an implosion caused by Eisenhower's retro-active admission of the state of Ohio! Surrounded by a bizarre fellowship, does Ishmael have the right stuff to save trillions of worlds, solve the mystery of his missing father, find love, and discover the perfect boat, all in 48 hours? What's the worst that can happen?

Yes, Call Me Ishmael has been set free!

Review from Barnes and Noble (4.5 stars):
I don't know how to review books. I don't write well. That's why I read books. If I could write, I would do that. That out of the way, this book reminds me of a boat. A well made boat, or is that a shoulder? A shining shoulder of beauty with a dress strap hanging off it? I'm not sure. I can't explain it. Right now, I'm just padding this review with some extra words, because I just don't feel like writing "This is a good book". I feel this book needs just a little longer review than that. If only I could write such a review. Alas, I can not, so I will leave it at that. It's a fun little romp with the kind of humor that I like. Great book Mr. Flaig.

Review from Smashwords (4 stars):
Ishmael is rescued from his sinking boat by a goddess of a woman–and Niles–and he promptly falls in love with her as this fantasy adventure begins. Thinking he is still in his normal universe, he heads for home. It was when the truck came out of nowhere and slammed into his, and then the other driver got out and held a gun to his head where he supposed his brains were that we see Ishmael has this weird sense of humor and things are going from strange to very strange quite quickly.

Think of this as a story full of one- and two-line quips from a stand up comedian, and you are enjoying it. Every disaster that befalls him is met with a joke, and somehow he survives traveling to other dimensions, fighting off the assassins who are trying to kill him for who knows why and, of course, saving this universe. Take an enjoyable break from reality with this entertaining story.

Review from Amazon (3.5 stars):
Call me Ishmael is a fun, engaging story, if you don't think about it too much.If you are looking for a serious discourse in multi-dimensional theory, then this is not the book for you. And really, why are you in the fiction section, anyway.

Now, if you are looking for a fast-past ride with an engaging main character, then you are in the right place.

Call me Ishmael is a first person narrative of our main character, who goes by Ishmael. I say goes by, because that's not really his name. Regardless, our main character is literally plucked out of his day off, attacked by a hit man and abducted by the most beautiful woman he has ever met. He goes through all this, to ... you guessed it - save the world from a rift caused by the Ohio statehood incident in 1803. (Here's the part where you should just shake your head and go `OK' and move on, because you are not going to get an good explanation on why.)

His natural reaction to this is, of course, to immediately fall head over heels in love with the blond,Finnie, even when she recognizes it and immediately shoots it down. Which is what really makes the humor work for this book. Male readers will immediately recognize Ishmael's response to Finnie, and female readers will get a glimpse into the desperate male mind.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/26869 Click for your free copy.