What is your favorite genre?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What is your favorite genre?

I don't think this has been discussed here before but what is your favorite genre or category of books to read and why?

As for me I would have to say that by far my favorite is science fiction. Ever since I was a small child I have enjoyed sci-fi on TV (Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Time Tunnel etc.) and that naturally progressed to me wanting to read sci-fi as a teenager. By the time I was 18 I had a collection of over 1500 sci-fi books and magazines (wish I still had them). This has translated into a lifelong love of sci-fi.

The reason I enjoy reading sci-fi is because it is quite often mentally stimulating. I enjoy deep thinking and dwelling on possibilities of man's future. Not all sci-fi is techy though and there is a sub-genre that is called space opera that I enjoy a lot. Space opera deals more with characters in a sci-fi setting and can be a lot of fun to read because they are usually adventurous, fast paced and exciting reads.

So what genre do you like and why?

Kevin

NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: What is your favorite genre?

I grew up in a family which, on both sides, were big readers and helped to run the local sci-fi convention. So I started off reading sci-fi and fantasy. I also didn't have the easiest of times as a kid, so I loved to read a book which involved a strange new land that didn't exist.

Now I've branched out a little, but I still read almost exclusively in those genres.
    Currently reading the entire Animorphs series

Benjamin Button

No surprise that I grew up reading almost exclusively horse fiction Walter Farley was THE author whose work I sought without question, along with Marguerite Henry.

But I also grew up liking science fiction and fantasy...fantasy often had horses and exotic settings... I fell in love with Star Trek and Star Wars like so many others. Quantum Leap was great too. I didn't start reading the genre much until college, though. By then I'd read all the horsey books and was fully transitioned into SFF, especially as Star Wars expanded universe books came out. I wanted more after reading Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy and gobbled up all those books. Then I wanted more like those but when there weren't more, I started looking at other books and expanded out and tried others. Some hit and some missed for me.

To this day, I only read SFF, and it doesn't matter what sub-genre it might fit in as long as the story is good and the characters are likable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I love Stephen King's books, but I can't say horror because I don't read much of it outside of King.

Probably Sci-Fi, with an emphasis on time-travel. Love that stuff.
    Link to my free books: S.Wolf's Books (Adults only please)

Interesting. I would not have thought we had so many Sci-Fi fans on the board. That's my favorite genre as well. The earliest memory I have of reading a novel on my own was Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama. I think I must have been about 9 or 10 when I read it. Dad actually had a trio of Clarke's novels that I just devoured that included 2001 and Childhood's End. The latter is my favorite. From there I branched out to Robert Heinlein and not long after discovered Edgar Rice Burroughs. Since those days I've really branched out into most forms of fiction but I keep coming back to Sci-Fi because it helps maintain my sense of wonder, and my hope for a better future.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Puck

I'd have to say I'm a Mystery/Suspense/Horror kind of girl...although I will read just about anything that grabs my attention.
    Currently Reading: Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
    Just finished: House of Night series

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    The earliest memory I have of reading a novel on my own was Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama. I think I must have been about 9 or 10 when I read it.
    Loved that book. The scene where the lights come on has stuck with me for years.
    Link to my free books: S.Wolf's Books (Adults only please)

For me it's a toss-up between sci-fi and horror. I also started out with horse books, Black Beauty and all the "Billy and Blaze" stories that were in our elementary school library. Somewhere along the line, I found a copy of Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes", and was totally hooked! I ventured off into Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes on occasion, good mysteries are enjoyable too.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Benjamin Button

• Sci-Fi
    • Action-Adventure

Why? Because.

Mr. Darcy

Fantasy
    Mystery
    Western
    Action/Adventure

More or less covers the bulk of my pleasure reading...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast