I just don't understand How.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default I just don't understand How.......

Ok I love to read.... Wish I had more time to read... I have a friend who works a full time job, has 2 kids, a husband, pets... and I think even a partridge in a pear tree but she still manages to read very thick books at a quick pace.. she will read atleast 2 sometimes 3 books in a week.

I thought maybe she had a photographic memory and was a "skimmer" if you will... but then I get on this forum and am hearing that some of you....(no names being mentioned... you know who you are) do the same thing... How do you do it??? Just curious... I love to read but don't know how you manage to read a book in a day from cover to cover. (I am talking 250-500 pages) not a tiny book like Dr. Seuss Green eggs and Ham...

anyway just curious.
    getting a little 'NOOKIE'

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: I just don't understand How.......

I think some of us just have the ability to read faster. I did take speed reading in high school way back in the dark ages, but so have other people & they can't read that fast. I read anywhere form 2-3 (books of 400+pages) a week or 5-6 ones of around 300 pages. I also work full time, make & sell jewelry on the side, have 6 dogs, & one husband So I do think it is a talent some people have just like any other talent. But it can be improved on.

Puck

I read anywhere from 3 books a day to 3 books a week, depending on the type of book (non-fiction and classics are much slower than modern genre fiction; romance is by far the fastest thing to read but YA books are pretty fast too). I have 3 hours of reading time in my typical work day (morning commute, lunch, evening commute--I take the bus and it's 17 miles of rush hour traffic). Plus I read after my kids are in bed most nights. Also I read much faster than I speak. I'm not talking about skimming here, I don't count a book as read if I only skim it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Wow I really thought I was a fast reader but have never read one in A day. So when u speed read are u actually retaining what u read? It just amazes me how people do this...
    getting a little 'NOOKIE'

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by skottiesgerl
    Wow I really thought I was a fast reader but have never read one in A day. So when u speed read are u actually retaining what u read? It just amazes me how people do this...
    I retain what I read. If I need to slow down to retain it, I slow down.

Even when I skim, I retain what I read--I just don't read every word.

I also speed read. Not intentionally, it's just how I've always read. I read quickly out loud as well, which caused frustration with my teachers during my school years.

I read pretty fast as well - but there are certain books that are just easier to get through than others...probably has to do with the "quality" of the book as well. I can rip through most young adult (yes - I still have a love for those) in a day - 250-300 pages....but the George R. R. Martin epics - the largest being 1000 pages- I can say that one took at LEAST a week and a few days! LOL

I have 3 kids, small business, running youngest to speech therapy appts, preschool, carpool for other 2....so during those carpool times I have my nook with me, waiting rooms at dr. offices, therapy sessions, and I'm watching a lot less TV these days!
    Joy Hamilton
    Joy Hamilton Photography
    www.joyhamiltonphotography.com

d'Artagnan

My secret is simply not sleeping. I guess I "speed read" a bit every once in awhile, where I take in a whole paragraph at once but I feel uneasy doing that so I often go back and read the whole thing over.
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

Tom Sawyer

I always, always was a fast reader. I actually had teachers in elem. school constantly tell me to SLOW down. I think when I was younger and I out grew all the easy chapter books (Sweet Valley, Baby-Sitters Club, Boxcar Children, etc) I was about 8 or 9. I would read one of those books in 30-45 minutes.

At that time I started on children's classics (Peter Pan, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Heidi, Secret Garden, etc) and what I taught myself was skim read through the descriptive parts. Because when I was 9, I didn't really care how many ways they described a tree in the book. I think I got so used to speed reading books, that it just carried on until adult hood.

However, because of this, I do re-read my books a lot, because I always seem to find something I missed the first hundred times. I also read a lot of mysteries/suspense books, which are great for me to speed through, because I get so anxious and I want to find out how it ends So the first time I'll read it really fast, and then after I know the ending, I'll re-read it to get the "other stuff"

I also have the annoying habit of not going to bed with a new book unfinished. So, I usually block out a section of time to read it. Typically most of the 250-500 pages books I read (depending on the depth and how "fluff" the reading is takes me anywhere from 2.5-4 hours to read. I was able to read the last Harry Potter book in about 5.5 hours.

I don't like to read really "heavy" because I tend to cry a lot at books, and well, I have to be in the mood for it. I also retain pretty much what I read

d'Artagnan

I flew through the Harry Potter books as well, before marriage/kids/busy stuff I could read the first five in the series in a day.
    [quote author=horse_girl link=topic=2435.msg32487#msg32487 date=1280350006]
    Good thing with the crotch grabbing and gummi butt crack.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Fireflywishes link=topic=2831.msg37328#msg37328 date=1282252903]
    yummy, yummy, in my tummy!
    [/quote]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast