for books i REALLY like, i have this weird compulsion to get them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default for books i REALLY like, i have this weird compulsion to get them...

in actual book form.

is anyone else this way?

i love my reader when it come to reading library books or discovering free books (which is a lot!), but i almost think of it as a backup for the books that i end up liking enough to buy and read over and over. I guess I'm paranoid that maybe something will happen to my digital library.

yesterday I finished Mockingjay and now that I've finished the series, I really want to get the series, but I'm hesitant about which format to get. I got my nook at the end of july so this is the first time i feel compelled to add books to my "permanant" collection.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: for books i REALLY like, i have this weird compulsion to get them...

Not I... Once and done (generally) is my motto.

Donna

Default Re: for books i REALLY like, i have this weird compulsion to get them...

I will re-read books but I have no problem with digital copies.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

lol.... guess it's just me.

Mr. Darcy

I can understand this. Having lost numerous important computer files over the years or parts of files, I like to have physical back-ups of important things, including books I really like. The rise of the e-book is like any other technology--I kept my cassette tapes for awhile even after I started buying CDs for both practical and sentimental reasons. I imagine it will take me a long while to completely break the physical book habit for certain books, especially some of my beloved books from childhood (like the Borrowers series) that have such wonderful illustrations.
    Imagine being psychic in a skewed Renaissance world that burns witches at the stake . . . The Witch Awakening (Book 1 of the Landers Saga) Tapestry Lion (Book 2 of the Landers Saga) Phoenix Ashes (Book 3 of the Landers Saga) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/karen-nilsen

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by mae1979
    lol.... guess it's just me.
    I bet you'll be surprised that you won't be the only one (by a long shot).

Donna

Puck

I'm the opposite, I find a lot of books that are not available in electronic format and wish they were. But I like the portability, not to mention the privacy of having it on my reader rather than in the open. I often read at work during down-times, I sometimes read books on human relations, e.g. imagine if I had a book like "How to Work for an Idiot..." lying on my desk and the boss walks by

I like that my collection is tucked away, out of sight; I guess my reasons differ from yours though.

Tom Sawyer

For the ones with truly gorgeous covers, I do, too. But I've resisted that compulsion so far.
    K.C. May
    Newly released... The Wayfarer King book 2 of The Kinshield Saga (heroic fantasy)

Puck

As much as I still love seeing my book collection all lined up, I seem to have the opposite problem - for books I really love but already have in DTB form, I have a compulsion to buy them in digital form. I will read books over and over, and I'd love to have them available at the touch of a button. So far, I've been discovering lots of new stuff (largely in part to suggestions from you guys!), but eventually, I know I'll give in...
    Currently Reading: Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
    Just finished: House of Night series

Mr. Darcy

I'm actually the opposite: I'm afraid a house fire or condensation or a kid with crayon with ruin one of my hard copies. As long as I have an off-site backup of my digital books and there's no sort of apocalypse, I know they'll always be accessible and readable.
    Daniel Pyle | Website
    author of Dismember, Freeze, and Down the Drain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast