Huckleberry Finn to be reissued with offensive words removed... - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thing 2

Default Re: Huckleberry Finn to be reissued with offensive words removed...

i agree missus snookie!
    i'm a bit uhm. outraged... if i could find a place to do it i'd just go black out all the offensive words in books at BN or something haha

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by STH
    I am against censorship in just about any from I can think of. Bureaucratizing art is as dangerous as it is absurd. So, in my opinion, the idea of removing the "n" word from Huck Finn and changing it to something else is a foolish one. It's also misguided. Because, presumably it is being done out of respect, but altering the context and santizing the history is disrespectful to everybody.

That said, there is a practical matter in play here too.

I used to teach high school English, and personally, I don't think Huck Finn should be taught in high school at all. I definitely think it should be taught in college however, probably in English 101, so every freshman gets exposed to it.

Why not high school? At this moment in history, that language is just too much, too strong. Expecting kids that age to understand "context" with something that explosive is asking too much of them. I never taught Huck Finn, but I have to say, I think it would be a disaster in a high school classroom. For one thing, you do a lot of reading out loud in a high school class room. Who's going to read Huck's dialogue? Me? Do I ask Sally to read it out loud to her classmates? It's asking an awful lot for kids that age to deal with. I'm not saying they wouldn't understand the context when it's explained... but live? in the moment? You might as well read "Lolita" in high school and see how much of the artist nature of that piece gets appreciated.

I used to teach a class that had only one African American kid in it. I wouldn't want to be the teacher trying to explain "context" while forcing that kid to deal with all the crap he'd have to take from his classmates everyday while we did that book. It would be so unfair to him. And you can switch the scenario around any number of ways and see how badly it would go over with the kids.

Huck Finn is a great book. Twain is a national treasure for the United States. But everything isn't for kids. Censorship is a poor solution to anything. Especially when common sense works so much better. Save Huck Finn for college, where students are signing up to learn of their own free will.

Just my two cents worth.
    Sadly you might be right by saving this social commentary for College. I find it sad that we are constantly santizing things all the time for our children and half the books I grew up reading in class would never make the read list now.

Just leave original works alone, as an author myself the thought of having to write PC would drive me crazy. I feel like we are heading one more step towards newspeak, and that is a very bad thing
    Arigato,
    Nick Davis
    The Tether Saga - Dark Fantasy on the Streets Of Baltimore (Learn More Here)
    The Wonder Tales - All Ages Fantasy Adventure (Learn More Here)
    A Teddy Bear Tale - Tristan the Teddy Bear protecting his child from the Monsters under the bed (Learn More Here)
    Learn more about Nick Davis at alt-world.com

Puck

i went and ordered the paperback last night and also one in ebook. what's next on the list "To Kill a Mockingbird"? this really has me ticked off.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by akfloyd
    i went and ordered the paperback last night and also one in ebook. what's next on the list "To Kill a Mockingbird"? this really has me ticked off.
    I've not even thought about that one, how about Catcher in the Rye as well?

Firm believer in this... 'If we forget where we come from, we lose sight of where we are going'

Arigato,
    Nick Davis
    The Tether Saga - Dark Fantasy on the Streets Of Baltimore (Learn More Here)
    The Wonder Tales - All Ages Fantasy Adventure (Learn More Here)
    A Teddy Bear Tale - Tristan the Teddy Bear protecting his child from the Monsters under the bed (Learn More Here)
    Learn more about Nick Davis at alt-world.com

d'Artagnan

Dear Censors,

peace out...

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Knack
    Dear Censors,

gonna have to totally agree with this one. lol.
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.

Thing 2

oh man Knick Knack you always add a little smile to the threads while still getting your point across

i have to kill a mockingbird via nook. i'm so happy i got it.. i just need the cash flow to get huck finn wanna see if i can't find some uber duber nice copy of it before those get burned :P

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Anyone ever seen Field Of Dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Kinsella of Field of Dreams
    At least he is not a book burner, you Nazi cow!
    But seriously, censoring BOOKS? That feels like such a crime to me. Especially when it's a classic, but I'd be mad no matter what. The "upside" of this is that it's a public domain book, so I think it's only school editions that are being edited. I'm not sure we'll have to worry about losing the original altogether. But it's the principle of it.

Puck

I think it's awful. Books should be left as their authors wrote them. Cleaning up books so that they can be PC is just wrong. Instead, why not educate children about what they are reading, and where its place in history is and WHY the offending words are not now polite to use? Get some discussion going. Let the kids *think* about it, don't just present them with some laundered version.

Or save reading these classics for college discussion as mentioned. They don't *have* to be taught in high school or middle school, there are plenty of other classics that could be read instead. If I were a parent, I'd be really pissed, because I'd want my children reading the originals as I did when I was young. And learning from them.

Mr. Darcy

a friend of mine tweeted: "when they finished taking the n-word out of mark twain's books, they started on faulkner's. but they didn't understand them so they gave up." i thought that was pretty funny.

few people know that poe was one of the worst racists of all time - even by the standards of his day. but he kept it out of his writing. dostoyevsky, on the other hand, happily expressed his antisemitism in 'the idiot.' is it unimportant because it isn't read in schools? i think this whole issue raises some very interesting questions.
    Author of THE CEMETERY VOTE, FORBIDDEN STORIES, THE TELESCOPE BUILDER and TOO LUCKY: http://bit.ly/e1BDaV on Nook

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast