Historical Fiction

Mr. Darcy

Default Historical Fiction

I love historical fiction..right now I'm looking for anything that involves New Orleans, or the Gulf Coast. Any recommendations? I was born a Yankee, but am now a Southerner by choice. The history is wonderful, especially hearing the "other side of the story".
    Love me some good reading! Bring it on!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Historical Fiction

Aww. The Gulf Coast is my home. My hubby and I are living in TN now but both grew up along the coast in the FL panhandle. Gorgeous area. Unfortunately, I don't know of any historical fictions based on those ares. But I would imagine there are probably a lot out there. Based around New Orleans mostly I would imagine. Good luck in your search!

Puck

I'm revising my previous statement: I have heard of this one..

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Nin...RI=new+orleans

I don't think it's a fiction book, but I would imagine it's a glimpse into the history of New Orleans and the city post-Katrina. I remember finding it bc the cover looks cool. I haven't read it though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Are you looking for books about modern times or more in the civil war period. I enjoy books about plantation life or in the era.

Mr. Darcy

Don't know your feelings about mixing genres, but George R.R. Martin wrote a wonderful vampires on steamboats novel called Fevre Dream that features New Orleans and the Mississippi during the mid-nineteenth century. I was a history major in college and am pretty picky about historical details--it seems to me that Martin caught the "flavor" of Mississippi River culture during that period. Historical fiction and "flavor" is an interesting discussion in general--an author can get every detail factually right but still not catch the "flavor" of a particular period.
    Imagine being psychic in a skewed Renaissance world that burns witches at the stake . . . The Witch Awakening (Book 1 of the Landers Saga) Tapestry Lion (Book 2 of the Landers Saga) Phoenix Ashes (Book 3 of the Landers Saga) http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/karen-nilsen

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by kjlawson2003
    I was born a Yankee, but am now a Southerner by choice.
    I was born a Yankee too! And now I live in the Southeast as well. That's funny. We are a rare breed. And that means you are also bilingual; you speak Southern and Northern, and they ain't the same thing.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by purplepen79
    Historical fiction and "flavor" is an interesting discussion in general--an author can get every detail factually right but still not catch the "flavor" of a particular period.
    Excellend point! And I'll have to check out Fevre Dream.

Tom Sawyer

it's not fiction but Gangs of New Orleans is a pretty interest book about the city, how it was converted from an unliveable swamp to a liveable swamp.

Hi kjlawson2003,

I am a new author and I love New Orleans. My first book is a historical romance and does take place there. I don't know of any other historical romance america books that take place in New Orleans, but if you do, please feel free to share. I am writing book two in New Orleans as well. It will be available for nook in a few weeks. If you are interested you can check it out on allromanceebooks.com for a format that might work for you.

1800s_Historical_Romance.jpg
    Everyday in every way, it's getting better and better.
    Lilac Temptress Historical Romance (Historical America)
    http://www.lilactemptress.com