Q&A on Calibre - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q&A on Calibre

Default Re: Q&A on Calibre

To get a series to show up in order on Nook I have had to put something at the beginning of the title of the Ebook. For example:

[LotR 1] The Fellowship of the Ring
    [LotR 2] The Two Towers
    [LotR 3] The Return of the King

Since Nook OS still does not support a wide range of metadata tags beyond author name and book title it doesn't read tags like "series" so this is the only way I've found to get a series of books to show up in the correct order.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Thing 2

oh okay, well mine was to just sort in the correct order via calibre

i believe michaels is gonna be for it to show up that way on your nook

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Puck

Thanks guys!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe
    Oh! I have one! I'm pretty sure this might have been answered somewhere else on the board, but it would be very convenient to have the answer here in this thread...So!

How do I get the books in a series to show up in numerical order on the Nook?
    If you have Calibre download the metadata automatically it should fill in the series and the number for you.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    To get a series to show up in order on Nook I have had to put something at the beginning of the title of the Ebook. For example:

[LotR 1] The Fellowship of the Ring
    [LotR 2] The Two Towers
    [LotR 3] The Return of the King

Since Nook OS still does not support a wide range of metadata tags beyond author name and book title it doesn't read tags like "series" so this is the only way I've found to get a series of books to show up in the correct order.

Regards,
    Michael
    If you are currently doing this manually (editing the title and putting "[LotR X]" in by hand), there is a feature to help you out. It is called "metadata plugboards" in the import/export section, and allows you to change the metadata that calibre uses to update a book when saving to disk or sending to a device. It makes it a LOT easier to group your books together.

You define the series and series index in the metadata section for the books. Then, you define a template and tell calibre to use it for a specific metadata field. I use the following template for the title:

{series} {series_index:0>2s| - | - } {title}

If there is a series and series index, it will put them in before the title when it sends it to the device. That way (as you said) all of the items in a series are put together when you view by title. The template I have above means that titles come out as "LotR - 01 - The Fellowship of the Ring". It uses fairly simple formatting information (from Python), so you could get it to look pretty much how you want.

I just checked this out in Calibre 0.7.40. This is a pretty rockin' feature that I had not explored yet.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by fizzicist
    If you are currently doing this manually (editing the title and putting "[LotR X]" in by hand), there is a feature to help you out. It is called "metadata plugboards" in the import/export section, and allows you to change the metadata that calibre uses to update a book when saving to disk or sending to a device. It makes it a LOT easier to group your books together.

You define the series and series index in the metadata section for the books. Then, you define a template and tell calibre to use it for a specific metadata field. I use the following template for the title:

{series} {series_index:0>2s| - | - } {title}

If there is a series and series index, it will put them in before the title when it sends it to the device. That way (as you said) all of the items in a series are put together when you view by title. The template I have above means that titles come out as "LotR - 01 - The Fellowship of the Ring". It uses fairly simple formatting information (from Python), so you could get it to look pretty much how you want.
    That does sound like it would make things much simpler. Would someone mind breaking this down in a "Dummified Version" for me. I'm sure its cake once you know were to go. But I don't.

Super Moderator

I know this has to be somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Q: How do I remove double-spacing in between sentences from my books?
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Oliver

Hi, I'm new to the Nookboard.
    I download books from different places and love Calibre. However I have downloaded a book series and tried to put it in Calibre but it only seems to recognize the first book. Any ideas on how to get it to register the other books. Also I've downloaded a really big file of books and only want some of them but again Calibre only seems to recognize the first book. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Tigerfire

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    Q: How do I remove double-spacing in between sentences from my books?
    I'm not sure how this missed getting answered but the solution to this pretty simple. The way I do it is to convert the DRM-free eBook to PMLZ, then convert it back to .epub. Here are the steps:

1. Open Calibre;
    2. Open Preferences > Common Options > Heuristic Processing;
    3. Enable Heuristic Processing and click Apply. Now click Close;
    4. Highlight the DRM-free eBook you want to convert and click "Convert Book;"
    5. In the menu on the far upper-right select PMLZ and click OK. This will convert the eBook.
    6. Once that completes click "Convert Book" again and make sure the far, upper-left menu says PMLZ and the far, upper-right menu says EPUB. Click OK.

Once that process completes open the eBook in Calibre's reader and make sure the conversion worked, then load it to your Nook and make sure it looks OK. If the conversion is badly messed up, go back to the original file, uncheck Heuristic Processing and try the conversion again.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast