Indie Authors???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tiny Tim

Default Indie Authors???

Hi! I am looking for indie authors who write GOOD books. I have bought a few clunkers but the good ones have convinced me that I need to keep trying. If you've read a good one please post it here!
    I have read and loved the following-
    Young Adult-
    Amanda Hocking-Trylle Trilogy, Hollowland, My Blood Approves (4 in this series),
    Mysteries-
    Terri Reid-Loose ends, Good tidings

I have purchased books by Autumn Dawn, and Sarra Cannon but have not yet read them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Indie Authors???

We've got a lot of indie authors who hang out on Nookboards who write "good books." You might want to poke your head into the Author Nook and see what they have to offer and join in the conversation.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mr. Darcy

Wouldn't it be a bit rude for us indie authors to poke our head in saying, "Me. Me."?

Really it depends on what genre you like, too. Checking the Author's Nook sounds like a good idea.

Freedom's Sword Scottish historical novel - $2.99
    A Kingdom's Cost Scottish historical novel - $2.99

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Here's a list of Nookboards authors, which shows the genres they (we ) write in: https://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=3534.0

And here's the Indie Hall of Fame: http://sites.google.com/site/indiehof/home
    It lists books that have been positively reviewed by at least three review sites/book bloggers.
    Author of historical novels set in New Zealand.

Sentence of Marriage Free NOOKbook.

My blog: http://shayneparkinson.blogspot.com/

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson
    And here's the Indie Hall of Fame: http://sites.google.com/site/indiehof/home
    It lists books that have been positively reviewed by at least three review sites/book bloggers.
    Shayne, I didn't even know about this site... That is why I love NB's - I learn new stuff all the time.

Thanks!

Donna

Puck

You're most welcome! It's still fairly new, but it's such a good idea.
    Author of historical novels set in New Zealand.

Sentence of Marriage Free NOOKbook.

My blog: http://shayneparkinson.blogspot.com/

Tiny Tim

I actually posted here rather than on the author board because I wanted recommendations from people who have read and liked a particular indie author. Getting a recommendation from the author dosen't help since it is hard to be impartial about your own work!
    I enjoy Young Adult (paranormal, futuristic, dystopian etc a la Kitteredge, Marr,Houck, Clare, Derting, Showalter, Bachorz, Tiernan, Barnes, Kagawa...many more)
    I enjoy romance, romantic suspense , futuristic/scifi romance (Linnea Sinclair is my fave in this category)
    Mystery, Cozy mysteries, Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Urban Fantasy. I like most of my books to have a bit of romance although it does not have to be a large part of the story, (it can be though). I do read erotica but only if there is a great story as well (A LA Lora Leigh, or Sarah Mccarty)

Puck

Ermm...

Trying to think of what to say here.

I've read good Indie Author books, and I've read bad Indie Author books. You can also turn that on the head and say I've read good Traditional published books and some real stinkers as well.

I think its a matter of taste, and if the book tells a story that you find interesting. Since good is relative to that person, one good could be anothers bad. For example people think Twilight is good, I think its bad. I love the discworld series, my wife thinks there bad. Its just one of those things. I suggest because your looking at Indie Authors to look around your genre and read samples, most Indies are very low cost so your risk is so much lower if you run into a bad book.

Thank you though for looking at our novels, I think you will find we are just regular Authors and just like mainstream we are just trying to tell a story.
    Arigato,
    Nick Davis
    The Tether Saga - Dark Fantasy on the Streets Of Baltimore (Learn More Here)
    The Wonder Tales - All Ages Fantasy Adventure (Learn More Here)
    A Teddy Bear Tale - Tristan the Teddy Bear protecting his child from the Monsters under the bed (Learn More Here)
    Learn more about Nick Davis at alt-world.com

Mr. Darcy

I think reading samples is a good idea.
    If you have found some good Indie authors have a look at their reviews. If you find a reviewer who felt the same about the book as you did, then have a look to see if that reviewer has reviewed other Indie books. It's always good to find a reviewer who seems to share the same taste in books.
    Leon Chameleon PI (ages 7 - 12 yrs)
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?ean=2940012606440
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Leon-Chameleon-PI-and-the-case-of-the-missing-canary-eggs/Jan-Hurst-Nicholson/e/2940012332936

Tiny Tim

I guess what I was trying to say is: I'd like people who have read indie authors to post if they found a book they love. Word or mouth is the best way to spread the joy! Just like I would for a print book. I don't buy a book based on the author's promotion. I look at reviews, blogs, and so on to determine the best books to spend my book budget on. There are few places that are centralized that review indie authors, it is difficult to find reviews so I came here hoping people on this board may have read some indie authors they would like to rave about. I was not attempting to be insulting to indie authors, in fact I am attempting to make an effort to purchase MORE indie author books, but I won't do so unless I can get an unbiased review, or recommendation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast