Free versus 99 cents - Page 2



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Tiny Tim
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    A mix of free/paid works well for independent authors. You could even give part of the book away for free and sell the full version.
    Check out the latest from FastPop Books:

    Andrew Carnegie's Career Advice (FastPop Books Core Classics)

    Twitter @FastPop

  2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Mr. Darcy
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by FastPop
    A mix of free/paid works well for independent authors. You could even give part of the book away for free and sell the full version.
    The free sample takes care of that...
    Just finished: Kiss in Time - Alex Flinn
    Currently reading: By Royal Decree
    Next up: To your scattered bodies go ?

  4. #13
    Thing 2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,436

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    after reading the responses previously i don't see anyone that put it how i would so i shall speak

    *climbs on soap box* Trust me it's just for show

    99cent books do not speak to me, Free books do not speak to me. People who are ready and willing to promote their work but their name and their face out there, those are the people that speak to me, you notice you don't see any authors on here advertising their 99c 2pg books on here, simply because they don't care. Authors with passion are why i download new books, honestly anyone that has written an amazing book and actively participates in the reading community (i.e NOOKBOARDS or even the BN forum) Makes me want to read it more. I personally havea few downloads from various authors that aren't on here, but i like the you want us (your readers) to get to know you personally, there are some authors on here that only get on here to promote their book, i do not purchase those authors books because they are not personal enough for me. if they offer them free, i WILL occasionally pick it up just because i'm sure # of DL helps you guys out a lot, but i won't pay for an Indie authors stuff if they haven't really participated in the community. I know it's weird but in my head you guys are like celebritys and very strong people who get out there and live a dream that i'd love to live so, when it feels like your talking to a "celebrity" and this celebrity actually takes intrest in your intrests you wanna help that person moreso than you want to help the guy who is spamming his book somewhere in the forum for 99c I don't know if a lot of that is even helpful but i feel like it's an answer



    [quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

  5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #14
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by nookreader654
    I think you should offer your first book to us at nookboards for free and make everyone else pay 99 cents

    If there was a way to do that I would be more than happy to.
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

  7. #15
    Thing 2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,436

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertY

    If there was a way to do that I would be more than happy to.
    i'm pretty sure all you have to do is make a coupon type thing and e-mail it to ppl who are interested xD



    [quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

  8. #16
    Tom Sawyer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by RagdollvX
    i'm pretty sure all you have to do is make a coupon type thing and e-mail it to ppl who are interested xD
    Ahhh... yes, using Smashwords I can do that. Forgot about that. I am still a newbie when it comes to publishing. Okay, I will tell you what. When Krae is finished being written and it is ready o go out to proof readers I will be publishing Rashnar.

    Rashnar is completed and ready for publishing. It is Book 1 of the Kantura World series and as I have pointed out it is a doosie of a cliff hanger. When I publish it to Smashwords I will put it on this board and offer a free coupon by PM or email to those who show an interest. It is Novella in size at about 33,000+ words.

    Krae is Book 2 in the Kantura World series. That is the one that I am working on now. I am in the finishing chapters. It is the end of the series. It will be running around 25,000'ish in word count so it is also Novella sized. It will be priced at .99.

    Thank You for that suggestion and reminding me about coupons. So Rashnar will be a NookBoards special.
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

  9. #17
    Mr. Darcy
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lafayette Hill, PA
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by RagdollvX
    I know it's weird but in my head you guys are like celebritys and very strong people who get out there and live a dream that i'd love to live so, when it feels like your talking to a "celebrity" and this celebrity actually takes intrest in your intrests you wanna help that person moreso than you want to help the guy who is spamming his book somewhere in the forum for 99c I don't know if a lot of that is even helpful but i feel like it's an answer
    RagdollvX, this is a very helpful perspective. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and hope to see you around the community.

  10. #18
    Thing 2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,436

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertY
    Ahhh... yes, using Smashwords I can do that. Forgot about that. I am still a newbie when it comes to publishing. Okay, I will tell you what. When Krae is finished being written and it is ready o go out to proof readers I will be publishing Rashnar.

    Rashnar is completed and ready for publishing. It is Book 1 of the Kantura World series and as I have pointed out it is a doosie of a cliff hanger. When I publish it to Smashwords I will put it on this board and offer a free coupon by PM or email to those who show an interest. It is Novella in size at about 33,000+ words.

    Krae is Book 2 in the Kantura World series. That is the one that I am working on now. I am in the finishing chapters. It is the end of the series. It will be running around 25,000'ish in word count so it is also Novella sized. It will be priced at .99.

    Thank You for that suggestion and reminding me about coupons. So Rashnar will be a NookBoards special.
    Woo Hoo! Okay, so that makes a difference to i suppose, making it specific to one forum or another (i have payed for books that were available on another forum free xD just cause the author was so kind) Also one of my favorite authors here i read one book and bought ever other book she had out, even though i will never read them.



    [quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

  11. #19
    Tom Sawyer JanStrnad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    94

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    I'm happy with my current sales at $2.99, and they're growing. I don't feel any need to go the $.99 route. If I had a series to sell, I might offer the first book for 99 cents or even free, but this is my only book so far. Once I give it away, I've got nothing. But generally, for those who don't buy it, I don't think the problem is the price. I'd break down the reasons people don't buy it more like this:

    1. Have never heard of it.
    2. Hate the horror genre.
    3. Don't know me from Adam.
    4. Just don't feel like it.

    Right now I'm just trying not to obsess about it all.
    Jan Strnad
    Author of Risen, a supernatural thriller. Available DRM-free!

  12. #20
    Oliver
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

    I recently raised the price of my novel from $2.99 to $4.99. Sales have slowed but not disastrously, and I'm on track to make about the same royalty-wise this month at $4.99 as I did at $2.99 last month. This is for a full-length book--420 pages--and if the reviews are to be believed, it's worth it. I've yet to get a really bad one. (It's out there somewhere lurking, I'm sure.) I have a few shorts for 99 cents--not extreme shorts, they're between 6,500-30,000 words--and they don't sell a third as well.

    I offer a $1 off coupon at Smashwords for you guys, though! See my sig.

    ETA: Oops! I didn't put it in my sig here! The code is IMP and you can redeem it at my site, not Smashwords. <-- I'm braindead today

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jack The Ripper versus Sherlock Holmes
    By Phillip Duke in forum Author nook
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
  2. Jack The Ripper versus Sherlock Holmes is now available.
    By Phillip Duke in forum Author nook
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM
  3. Nook color apps and update...versus tablet
    By cosmo in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 01:21 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 07:46 AM
  5. FLP versus Fairfax County Library
    By beachmom in forum Reading nook
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0