Free versus 99 cents - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tiny Tim

Default Re: Free versus 99 cents

I was chatting with a reader over on Goodreads who said she refused to buy 99 cent books because if the writer didn't believe their book was worth more then it was probably awful and a waste of time. As someone with a couple of 99 cent books out there, I just left that one alone

In a bid to raise my profile on B&N, I'd love to giveaway 10 copies of my ebook HONOR BOUND to the first 10 people who PM me, in an exchange for a fair review on B&N. I can offer Smashwords coupons only. This book is a historical paranormal romance and is going very well over at Amazon if that helps sway anyone.
    Historical romances from C.J. Archer:
    The Witchblade Chronicles: Honor Bound | Kiss Of Ash
    Lord Hawkesbury's Players: A Secret Life
    Steampunk romance: The Adventures of Miss Upton and the Sky Pirate
    $0.99 novella: The Mercenary's Price

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Archer
    I was chatting with a reader over on Goodreads who said she refused to buy 99 cent books because if the writer didn't believe their book was worth more then it was probably awful and a waste of time. As someone with a couple of 99 cent books out there, I just left that one alone
    I can actually understand that thinking. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

I sympathize that a writer wants people to read their stuff and if they think pricing it at $.99 or free is going to accomplish that then more power to ya. But, guys, is that really fair? Is it a fair and reasonable price for your hard work, or have you just priced it that way to get people to read you? I submit that those of you who are pricing your novel-length works at $.99 are doing yourself a disservice and your setting a bad precedent. If you want to raise prices in the future then your readers might rebel since they have come to expect your work to cost $.99.

So I suggest you price the labors of your hard work at what you think is a reasonable price then promote the **** out of it. I'll bet Guido might have some sage words to say about this as well.

For myself an eBook priced at $.99 is not a barrier or indicator of quality. My only real barrier is anything higher than ?$.9.99.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    I sympathize that a writer wants people to read their stuff and if they think pricing it at $.99 or free is going to accomplish that then more power to ya. But, guys, is that really fair? Is it a fair and reasonable price for your hard work, or have you just priced it that way to get people to read you? I submit that those of you who are pricing your novel-length works at $.99 are doing yourself a disservice and your setting a bad precedent. If you want to raise prices in the future then your readers might rebel since they have come to expect your work to cost $.99.
    Interesting vantage points. I think the counter argument regarding the perception of quality is the enormous success that writers like John Locke and JA Konrath have had at the 99 cent price point.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to note the word count so the reader knows they are truly getting a novel-length work, but I would also hope the reviews give a good indication of what to expect. My two cents...

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

I actually had a conversation with a Kindle owner where she actually said that anything free wasn't worth reading. I really don't get that POV, especially considering how many truly amazing books I have gotten for free...

I don't think it's selling yourself short, I think it's a great way to get your name out there. If I stumble on your book as free or 99 cents (which I'm more likely to do than with a more expensive book) and I love your work, I WILL remember you and I WILL buy higher priced stuff from you in the future (and in fact, I have read the free or 99 cent first book in a series and then went and bought everything else the author has out).

I will admit, I'm a cheap ass. I know you guys work hard, but from a consumer perspective I want to feel like I'm getting a deal. I have over 2000 books on my nook (thank goodness a huge chunk of that is free stuff, but there is still a large chunk that's not, and it adds up to a bit of money). When I was a kid and my parents got on me about buying books, I always told them it was my drug money. Instead of smoking pot, I buy books (perspective is a wonderful thing). I still am that way. Buying books makes me happy, but I have to be smart with my money, so getting a great deal on buying books makes me more happy. And in payment to you awesome authors for dropping the prices, I will write you a review. And tell all of my friends about the super awesome book I read. Usually by the time I get around to it, they've gone back up to a higher price, and my friends will still buy it because I have wonderful taste in books (happens all the time, apparently I'm super persuasive)

As a person who spends a lot of time looking for deals on books, I feel great when I get something free/way reduced and the price goes back up a little while later. I feel like I got a great deal (which I did) and it really does get people to download it, and love it, and tell others. When it comes down to spending the money on actually purchasing a book, reviews really do make/break for me if I don't know the author.

Oh, and I really wish they would put word counts (or better yet page counts) on all their stuff, because those shorties really do hurt you guys when people don't advertise it. Btw, does anyone (maybe one of you author types) know the about standard words/page? Just so I have some idea when the do bother to put the word count
    Just finished: Kiss in Time - Alex Flinn
    Currently reading: By Royal Decree
    Next up: To your scattered bodies go ?

Tom Sawyer

I can actually understand that thinking. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.
    I can understand, and I kind of agree with it. What makes me hesistant to buy indie authors isn't the story or ideas, it's the lack of editing. So far I've bought 2 indie books, and both times it's been the lack of editing that either made me not want to purchase the next book from them or I didn't finish the book. I'm at the 9.99 sticking point too, but I'd pay $9 a book for an editor.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    What makes me hesistant to buy indie authors isn't the story or ideas, it's the lack of editing. So far I've bought 2 indie books, and both times it's been the lack of editing that either made me not want to purchase the next book from them or I didn't finish the book. I'm at the 9.99 sticking point too, but I'd pay $9 a book for an editor.
    Thanks everyone for illuminating the issues here. It sounds like a big problem is the "one bad apple" syndrome.

Now I need to figure out a way on bn.com to say that:
    a) my book is a full-length novel (paperback version is 286 pages), and
    b) it has been professionally edited

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123