3 cups of tea book and lies?

Default 3 cups of tea book and lies?

interesting 60 minutes investigation into the book
    http://youtu.be/XhAb37yZ0o0

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: 3 cups of tea book and lies?

I saw that today, too. I didn't read the book, but I'd heard so many good things about it. In fact, it was a book club book at the college where I teach. This reminds me of the James Frey (A Million Little Pieces) controversy from a few years ago. It's really sad that someone would do that.
    Straight to **** (Book one in the Lilith Straight series) The moment Lilith Straight dies, the Devil appears to claim her soul and cash in on a longtime family curse. Now, Lilith has no choice but to work for him. The job is bad, the boss is worse, and she can’t imagine how she’ll explain her new reincarnation to her eight-year-old daughter. But then an arrogant, yet oh so yummy, incubus shows up…and **** heats up just a little more.

I read Three Cups of Tea a little over a year ago and found it to be a very interesting and at times moving book. I'm a little disappointed that much of it may be a lie. I'm certainly glad I have not supported his charity. I still think the concept of educating children out of poverty is sound and I hope that as a result of this exposure someone else will take up and champion the cause because it's the only sure way to peace and understanding.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

It seems like he was doing some good work over there in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but it is sad that the truth about that wasn't good enough for him. Now it looks like all of the lies are likely to undo the whole organization that he built. I can't see many people giving his charity money after this, but like Kevin said, maybe the exposure will prompt others to take up the cause. One thing he did prove is that there is a lot of goodwill out there among people who want to make the world a better place.
    No Cure for the Broken Hearted
    Katherine Spencer hasn't seen billionaire playboy Nick Bancroft in 12 years.
    Now he wants her to design his new lake house.
    Is he looking for an architect, or something more?

Puck

I read the book last winter. Though it wasn't my favorite, I was still impressed by what he was trying to do. I agree that his charities may not be funded much longer, but think about how many book sales he's probably getting because of all this hype. Has anyone read Stones For Schools?? I have it on my DTB bookshelf, but haven't touched it yet.
    Maria

Currently Reading:
    The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

Just Finished:
    If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White
    Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli

That's very sad.
    Jan Strnad
    Author of Risen, a supernatural thriller. Available DRM-free!

Tiny Tim

Considering that nothing in the book has any direct effect on me whether it's fact or fiction, I really do find it strange anyone should care if it is or isn't, but then I felt that way about the books of Asa E. Carter and James Freys as well. After all, as little as 90 years ago the absolute hight of fashion in fiction was to publish stories of your own life with only the most minor alterations buried in the popular magazines under the guise of fiction.
    It was one tedious round of scrawling and jargon ; a tissue made up of the shreds and remnants of barbarous antiquity polluted with the rust of ages, and patched by the stupidity of modern workmen into new deformity. -C. B. Brown

Tiny Tim

Default Re: 3 cups of tea book and lies?/Where does a memoir end and fiction begin?

I haven't read the book, and I don't know how much of it is made up, but this thread brings up a larger question. I write memoirs, and sometimes, to tell my stories in a more interesting way, I take liberties, such as compressing time, using composite characters, etc..

When I do this I feel the gist of what I write is still a memoir, as it reflects the core truth of my experience, but is my story no longer a memoir even though it's a lot closer to being one than to being a short story?

(Perhaps I should use the phrase autobiographical story, though I'm afraid people will think that a good part - not a small - is made up.)

Randy
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Bad-The-Good-and-Two-Fly-Fishing-Women/Randy-Kadish/e/2940011152498/?itm=1&USRI=randy+kadish
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Fly-Caster-Who-Tried-To-Make-Peace-With-the-World/Randy-Kadish/e/2940000724903/?itm=2&USRI=randy+kadish

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by jeffthree
    Considering that nothing in the book has any direct effect on me whether it's fact or fiction, I really do find it strange anyone should care if it is or isn't, but then I felt that way about the books of Asa E. Carter and James Freys as well.
    The problem being that, while you may not have donated money to his charity, a LOT of people did. And from what I've read of this issue, a LOT of that money was horribly misspent. It's not just about the fact that he lied and sold a book (like Frey did), it's that he also ran a charity off of it. If Frey had been asking for donations on top of his lies I think Oprah would have eaten him. Literally.

All I can say is thank god SOMEONE out there is still doing real reporter work. Thanks Jon Krakaur!