Conde Nast decision exemplifies why publishers need to rethink iPad magazines

Default Conde Nast decision exemplifies why publishers need to rethink iPad magazines

I realize this article is aimed at digital magazines on the iPad (and eventually other tablets), but the points are just like many of the same things we've been saying about digital books for our eReaders.
    I'll just finish by saying this: magazine publishers, your iPad distribution model sucks. It's backwards and it's costing you not only a lot of sales but -- more importantly to your ad revenues -- a lot of potential new readership and circulation numbers. Go to Apple and beg them for an iNewstand store, and then sell your digital issues for 99 cents and yearly subscriptions for around $10. Do this and it's a win-win not only for you and Apple, but your advertisers and readers as well.
    With just a couple of changes, the above paragraph is exactly the same advice the book publishers need to heed. When it comes to digital I think the traditional publishing houses are going to get a very rude awaking within the next couple of years unless they learn to adapt and lower their **** prices. And get rid of the stupid DRM.

Regards,
    Michael

'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Conde Nast decision exemplifies why publishers need to rethink iPad magazines

I believe a catalysis needs to be some big name leaving the publishing house and self publishing. We need something such as that to spark the move.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Conde Nast decision exemplifies why publishers need to rethink iPad magazines

I am hoping that over the next few years it does happen. There is no need for higher priced or same priced ematerial as there is almost no print and publishing costs. Right now the traditional publishing companies are fighting to try and quell ematerial with higher prices. But I think that as Indie authors/ebooks become a more established driving force the publishers will be forced to revamp how they think and price ematerial.
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I think you might have meant to say the traditional publishers are "fighting to quell ematerial with lower prices."

At any rate, I think you're correct. I don't see any big name magazines breaking away and trying to "self-publish" as independent authors are able to do. The paradigms and money involved are very different.

I do worry that as consumers refuse to buy the high priced digital publications the publishers will point to that as evidence that digital is not as big as deal as we think it is and back off from it. But only time will tell.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

Puck

The problem with magazine and book publishers is that there's too many people on staff that need paychecks. Not to mention they keep using an old model in a new world.

Following up on my original post, looks like Conde Nast has done a rethink on their digital magazines.
    Single issues will drop from their current iPad prices of US$3.99 to $4.99 and issue down to a reasonable US$1.99 an issue. Better yet, yearly subscriptions will ring in at US$19.99. Know what that means? The New Yorker is gonna have me (and probably many others) as a subscriber next week. As for current print subscribers, they'll be able to access the iPad editions of the magazines for free.

Other magazine publishers: pay attention. This is how the magazine industry saves itself.
    One of the first things I did when I got my iPad was buy a yearly subscription to National Geographic, which was only $15, although the single issue prices are still a little high at $4.99. I thought the yearly subscription price was quite reasonable and the magazines are great on the iPad.

Regards,
    Michael
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien