Sci-Fi Fans, click here ...

Tiny Tim

Default Sci-Fi Fans, click here ...

I found a book I have to share. It's called "Lost at the Con" by Bryan Young. It's up on both BN and Amazon for $3.99 as an eBook, and there are paperback versions available too (but who wants that? We have Nooks!) ...

If you're a science fiction fan - and especially if you've ever attended a science fiction convention like Dragon*Con - you're going to love this book.

Linkified ... I hope that works.

Below is the review I posted on the Nook website ...

I don't remember where I heard about this book. It could have been something I overheard at a con, or on Facebook, or any number of places. Regardless, I'm glad I heard about it.

I've been going to Dragon*Con for years now, and this book is written by someone who obviously has spent some time at this convention. The way he captures the feel of the Marriott, the Hyatt, and the other hotels in the area, as well as the feel and even the smells surrounding the hotels, is spot-on.

When he describes the hallways, the lobbies, rooms and bars, if you've been to Dragon*Con, you know exactly where the character is. It makes the story more real.

The narrator of this story is Cobb, a cynical political writer stuck in a dead-end job for a second-rate wanna-be news website. He hates his life and his job has sucked the joy out of his life (and who here hasn't experienced that at least once?).

His boss, a disgusting jerk of a man at the best of times, sends Cobb to cover Griffin*Con, a thinly-veiled fictionalized Dragon*Con, in Atlanta. Cobb was a fan of comic books in his youth, but hasn't even thought about comics or science fiction since high school. Why him?

And why does his boss decide to tell him this only one day before his flight is to leave ... when the tickets were bought months ago?

Fans of sci-fi in general, and those who go to sci-fi conventions in particular, will get a thrill out of this book. It's a quick read - even though I tried my best to only read a chapter per day, in an attempt to savor it, I failed ... the story just drew me in.

The characters, including Cobb, Sylvester, and a certain steampunk former President, are well thought out and three-dimensional. And one of them in particular is just about the funniest character I've read this year.

This is an easy five stars for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Are you the author of this book or what? Lol.

Con fad?

I follow a web series called The Guild (it's about mmo gamers). It's just finishing up it's 5th season. This season has all taken place at The 'Con' that the guild gets invited to.
    Currently reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

I have the book ready to go. MileHiCon is this weekend and I tend to spend a lot of it sitting around waiting for my kids to get out of panels. This will go perfectly with a glass of wine and a handful of cheetos (it's a CON, people!!!).

d'Artagnan

Here is my review of 'lost at the con'. It was a quick read. The main character was developed well and the details of the environment were well written. I found the plot to be a bit offensive and stereotypical. I read it while at a con and tried to compare it to the experience I was having in the present as well as comparing it to past cons I have attended. I felt the closest event it compared to was 'starfest' which is a for profit convention that travels around the country and is not very representative of what I consider to be a 'true' convention. The main experience Cobb had (when the mundane grabbed the girl) is something I saw happen at a con many years ago. When it happened the reaction of the people around the girl was quite different from what this author portrayed. That alone made me think that the author might not have ever truly attended a con as a legitimate participant. I felt the author was putting fen down and insulting us for the most part. Yes, the main character did eventually 'get it', but only superficially. I rated 'lost at the con' as two stars and probably won't read it again. I will not be recommending it to other con goers.