Whats everyone reading now and/or read lately - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I am taking a break from A Song of Fire and Ice and am reading The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind. It is set in The Sword of Truth universe and is a self published effort on the part of Goodkind.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Book 4 is kind of tough, it covers a lot of new characters, so (if I remember correctly) you may not even see Arya. Maybe some at the end. It's the slowest read of them all so far. I was much happier with Dance with Dragons (Book 5).

I just finished Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman. It's kind of a mind**** so....I'm not sure I enjoyed it. I have to think about it for a bit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I recently read Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. A wonderful, true story of one man's heroic efforts during Hurricane Katrina. Abuldraham Zeitoun worked tirelessly to save neighbours' properties, feed trapped dogs and rescue survivors until he came to the attention of those 'guarding' the drowned city. He was imprisoned for being a suspected terrorist. Moving and utterly unbelievable.

I'm currently reading The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris. I've never read any of Gordon Ferris's work, and are really enjoying it. It's a hard-boiled crime drama about a man wrongfully convicted and due to be hung for a murder he didn't commit. Authentic, gritty and compelling.

Am on my Bentley Little binge...started with The Store, read The Association last month and am immersed in The Town. This guy writes some scary stuff!
    http://www.LisaMaliga.com
    Author of books for discerning readers

I read a few books since I last posted on this thread. Most recently I've read The Princess Bride. I loved the movie forever, but the book just didn't have the humor the movie did (I never thought I would prefer a movie over a book). The movie is almost a direct adaptation of the book, however, the story's humor works better on screen than on the page.

I read the final Artemis Fowl book and finished the other day.

Now I'm reading Peace Warrior. It is has been on my nook for a while. It must have been a freebie at one time. I don't remember getting it but the premise seemed intriguing. It is a soldier caught in suspended animation (much like Captain America), then being awakened 600 years later. The earth is enslaved by aliens but humans are all pacifists now. The awakened warrior must defeat the aliens and save the Earth.

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Puck

I recently finished Without Warning by James Birmingham. On the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the populations of the US, Canada, and most of Mexico are obliterated by an energy field of unknown origin. The story chronicles the international consequences of the disappearance of the world's last superpower. While the premise is a bit absurd, the characters and the story that follows were quite good.
    This is the 1st book in a trilogy I intend to continue, I felt a bit deflated at the end so I had to switch gears before reading After America (book 2).
    The follow-up was One Good Dog by Susan Wilson. It's a story about a pitbull bred for fighting and a man who has lost nearly everything and how they find redemption in each other. A nice feel-good story. If you enjoyed The Art of Racing In the Rain, this book is for you.

I'm currently reading Rain Gods by James Lee Burke. I've heard so much about his writing that I had to give him a try. This is a Hackberry Holland book and while I'm not the biggest fan of crime novels, James Lee Burke is an exceptional writer. I intend to explore more of his stuff in the future.

My next read will be After America. I will be ready to go back to a world where all that is left of America is Hawaii, the west coast of Washington state, Alaska, and Guantanamo Bay. The characters from Without Warning compel me to find out their ends. I'm also interested to see what form of government will be chosen by what is left of the US in this alternative universe.

I'm almost done with A Dance with Dragons. I've finally almost made it through the first five books. Now I have to wait the years until the next books come out.

Mowgli

Just finished The Fear Artist by Tim Hallinan. Great thriller set in Bangkok and the latest in a series. Highly recommended.
    Have characters, must write.

The Mark of Athena.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567