I need book suggestions

Oliver

Default I need book suggestions

Hi everyone, first off let me say if I post this in the wrong place I apologize... didnt know where to post it and this looked like the best place. I just bought the nook and Im looking for a book that is fictional.... Maybe a thriller or mystery or drama which happens to have some parts that is found enjoyable enough where you would laugh at a certain character maybe in a way they act? Or just has some comedic insight or even what the characters are trying to acheive might be funny. Basically I would like to be recommended a book which isn't fully serious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I'm not sure they fit the bill, it's DARK humor, but if you can find that sort of thing funny ... the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay is sort of a thriller/drama series that can be somewhat funny at times. If you find a Serial Killer who works for the Miami-Dade Crime Lab and uses their resources to help him find his "victims" funny ... it might be right up your alley.

Oliver

I actually love Dexter, I love the show and I know it comes from a book series however are the books completely different from the series... basically will the first books copy what I've already seen on tv and will the future books give away what happens in the future?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Yes and No.

The first book, "Darkly Dreaming Dexter", is DEFINITELY reminiscent of the first season of the show. There are some differences between the two, probably enough to keep you interested, but you'll see enough similarities between the "Tamiami Slasher" and the "Ice Truck Killer" that you'll see where it's going easily.

However, the second book, "Dearly Devoted Dexter", is a plot line I don't think they have pursued at all on the show (I haven't seen this most recent season, so I can't be 100% positive), but basically, from this point on, the two character versions of Dexter diverge greatly. The TV Show Dexter has different issues, mores, etc.

The third book, "Dexter in the Dark" is again quite different from any of the TV show plot lines, and again, the characters are similar, but they take different paths so that the show's characters end up being these oddly skewed reflections of the characters from the books.

By the time the end of the fourth book, "Dexter by Design" rolls around ... you're going to start to wonder how the characters in the show were EVER based on the characters from the books, seeing as some of them are similar in name only.

---

I haven't read the 5th ("Dexter is Delicious") or 6th ("Double Dexter") books yet ... but I plan to

Mr. Darcy

Whoa! this just made me realize that I can't think of a humorous book off the top of my head! I read a lot of fantasy that has fairly serious stories... perplexing... I;ll have to work on this! But maybe the Divine Comedy (lol).
    The Chosen, a YA fantasy that's been compared to Harry Potter and of mythical proportions.

d'Artagnan

Try 'Stupidest Angel' a very very funny book that is kind of offensive (in a mild way) and sort of like horror (in a mild way). And of course, I always recommend 'Spinward Fringe' to anyone who might come even close to liking science fiction. This is a series of books by lalonde. He is an amazing writer and I'm trying to get a lot of people to try his first book (which is free). I think his books are as good as Heinlein's.

d'Artagnan

Joe Lansdale's series of Hap & Leonard books are sort of mysteries/crime fiction with some good humor in them. Some of the titles are 'Mucho Mojo' 'Two-Bear Mambo' and 'Bad Chili'. I love his work!

I enjoy reading Carl Hiaasen, especially Nature Girl and Sick Puppy. They're definitely funny, but they also have a bit of a mystery in them.
    Straight to **** (Book one in the Lilith Straight series) The moment Lilith Straight dies, the Devil appears to claim her soul and cash in on a longtime family curse. Now, Lilith has no choice but to work for him. The job is bad, the boss is worse, and she can’t imagine how she’ll explain her new reincarnation to her eight-year-old daughter. But then an arrogant, yet oh so yummy, incubus shows up…and **** heats up just a little more.

Mowgli

Tim Dorsey's books are also darkly humorous. And I'm fond of Christopher Moore's humor in his vampire-spoof series - Bloodsucking Fiends, etc.
    Have characters, must write.