Which Book for the May Book Club, Nookers? Please Weigh In!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mowgli

Default Which Book for the May Book Club, Nookers? Please Weigh In!

Hi Nookers,

A fun spoof on Disney World and the people who love it. Dave and Vinnie just know Morrison is faking his injury and they have a week at Snodgrass World to save the restaurant by proving it. They'll have to dodge fleets of wheelchairs and scooters long enough to expose him while enjoying attractions like 'Brutal yet Fun and Lovable Buccaneers' and 'Showcase of Random Allied Countries.'

Snodgrass Vacation

Principal Lukather is desperate. An internet bully is terrorizing his students at Lakeland Middle School. He makes a deal with street smart Scott Halifax: go undercover as a student and nail the bully in return for a ticket out of the County Detention Center. It takes some sly computer sleuthing and a little dumb luck before they expose the bully, and itís the last person they ever suspected.

eBully

When Joe Jonas is sent to cover a press conference he figures itís just another crackpot JFK assassination conspiracy until he stumbles across something that makes him realize this one is for real. Abby Reno, a saucy reporter from Austin, insists on working the story with him. As Jonas and Reno circle closer they learn that the secret's protectors are still around and they don't take prisoners.

Man of Steel

Zach Bowie has been wrestling for years. It was something to do when he wasn't singing lead in his rock band. That all changes when the 171-pounder is injured and Zach is thrust into the starting lineup. He's surprised that the exhilaration of walking onto the mat feels as good as the rush he gets on stage. Maybe even better. How far could he go if he wasn't smoking three packs of Marlboros a day?

FireHouse

It wasn't long before the kid from North Carolina had made friends at his new high school in Jersey. Ben is the kind of guy that everybody likes. He's the star of the wrestling team and he's spending a lot of time with Judy Voorst. So what's the problem? Ben Petrovic has a secret. Heís not who everybody thinks he is.

Throwback

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: Dave Conifer Nook Books -- Free FOR JUST A FEW MORE HOURS

Can't believe how fast time went, but the coupons will expire in a few hours. Just giving some warning... Thanks!

Puck

Thanks Dave! I previously had downloaded Snodgrass Family Vacation and am in the middle of it right now, it's great, I'm really enjoying it! I did take advantage of this offer and downloaded the rest of your titles and look forward to enjoying them as well! Thanks again for the awesome opportunity to enjoy the work of a new author!
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Thanks Paul, I hope you can find something you like from among my stuff.

I went ahead and extended the coupons (set up new ones, actually). It wasn't as painful as I remembered. The new codes are on my sig, or will be in a few minutes...

Mowgli

Default Re: Dave Conifer Nook Books

I've now created Facebook page for Snodgrass Vacation. Drop on by if you have a chance. I'm trying to expose myself (ha ha) to the Disney nuts that might like my Disney Spoof.

Oh yeah, not that you high tech readers care, but I signed up for premium whatchamacallit and was able to drop the price of the hardcopy version from $16.00 to $10.99.

Mowgli

[Forgot to add that all my books are free on Smashwords -- UNTIL TOMORROW, FEBRUARY 15!]

Greetings,

I've been getting quite a few questions about Man of Steel. Mostly, people want to know how much of it is true and why I believe in wacky conspiracy theories. The truth is that I don't believe in any conspiracy theories at all -- I think Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman. There are holes in the *official* explanation of the assassination that are a mile wide, though, which is what led me to write the story.

Anyways, I added a short epilogue to denote the real stuff, which is the core of the story. It looks like this:

Epilogue

Although this story is a work of fiction, there is plenty of real history woven into the plot. The Warren Commission report really does include the testimony of a man who could be the fictitious R.J. Pomeroy (in chapter 5, page 221). This obscure police officer claimed to have watched Jack Ruby walk past a police guard post and into the basement of the Dallas police station where he subsequently murdered JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald. The Warren Commission has been criticized over the past five decades for innumerable shortcomings. None are more glaring than the failure to effectively interrogate Ruby and a refusal to investigate how it was that neither Oswald nor Ruby lived long enough to explain their actions.

ERC is a fictitious steel maker modeled on a very real one. Although the companyís involvement in the assassination is merely a plot device in the story, enmity between its chairman and Kennedy was very palpable and very public. As detailed in the story, the chairman of ERC really did visit the Oval Office personally to inform Kennedy that steel prices would be increased and Kennedy didnít hide his anger at the perceived double-cross. The banner headlines in the story really were splashed across the front page of The New York Times over a ten-day period in the spring of 1962. All the dialogue by the chairman, the president and his staff in the aftermath of the Oval Office confrontation is real and can be found exactly where Jonas and Reno found it.

PT 109, commanded by Lieutenant Kennedy, was sunk in the dark of night in August 1943 by a Japanese warship. Almost seventy years later many people share the opinion of the fictitious Clyde Gerson that Kennedyís negligence contributed to the incident which led to the death of two crew members. Lieutenant Kennedy was awarded a Purple Heart and subsequently the the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his unquestionably heroic leadership after the boat sank.

Puck

And just in case Dave is too modest to mention it himself, Snodgrass Vacation is now the top selling humor title at Smashwords.

I know this because it bounced Boomerang out of the top spot!

Congrats and keep reeling in those readers, Dave.

Alan
    Best,
    Alan Hutcheson
    author of Boomerang, a comic novel of international intrigue played out by characters operating way outside their comfort zones.

Boomerang at Barnes and Noble

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by Plumboz
    And just in case Dave is too modest to mention it himself, Snodgrass Vacation is now the top selling humor title at Smashwords.

I know this because it bounced Boomerang out of the top spot!

Congrats and keep reeling in those readers, Dave.

Alan
    LOL, Alan, I hadn't noticed that. It was #2 behind Boomerang for a long time and I'm sure it'll be back there soon. I'm happy with anything in the top ten. Heck, twelve even...

Tom Sawyer

Love snodgrass vacation!! I am about halfway through it and (because I love going to disney so much) I am able to put myself right into the story and 1. know every road, restaurant, ride, and show reference being made and 2. identify with each of the types of guests that annoy the characters in the story!! It makes my day to read it lol

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by GinaS627
    Love snodgrass vacation!! I am about halfway through it and (because I love going to disney so much) I am able to put myself right into the story and 1. know every road, restaurant, ride, and show reference being made and 2. identify with each of the types of guests that annoy the characters in the story!! It makes my day to read it lol
    Glad you like it, Gina. I knew I couldn't get away with not renaming everything but I was pretty sure people like you would recognize things.

I love Disney too but the things people do there are too entertaining (and shocking! and aggravating! and...) not to write about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast