Confused about Wi-Fi connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Confused about Wi-Fi connection.

Hello!
    I am planning to buy Nook, but there are things that I am confused about, it would be a great help, if you answered these questions:

1. Does the Nook's Wi-Fi connection work in every Wi-Fi zone? I mean, does it connect only to some special Wi-Fi zones or can I connect to my home's Wi-Fi exactly in the same way as I would be using a laptop? Is there ANY difference at all how the Nook connects and uses Wi-Fi zones compared to laptops?

2. Since I am from Latvia (that's northern Europe), what is the 3G coverage? I know, that I have to pay monthly fee for my mobile phone, if I want to use 3G internet connection. Will I be able to use 3G at all or is there required some special connection and/or monthly fee?

3. Am I going to experience any problems with software and other issues, because there is no Barnes&Noble store in my country? Any limitations?

4. Will I be able to purchase subscription, such as a daily newspaper subscription, if I am living in Europe? I read in FAQ it states this, quoting: "Yes, when you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi® hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such as those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital library. You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions"

Why does it say that I cannot purchase subscription if im living outside USA? What's the difference - I connect via Wi-Fi to the internet and pay the money using a credit card, so why the **** can't I purchase subscriptions?

- Atomix
    Check the nooklet I created: http://nookdevs.com/Nooklet_applications
    (Hangman and currency converter).
    Hope you like it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Confused about Wi-Fi connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomix
    Hello!
    I am planning to buy Nook, but there are things that I am confused about, it would be a great help, if you answered these questions:

1. Does the Nook's Wi-Fi connection work in every Wi-Fi zone? I mean, does it connect only to some special Wi-Fi zones or can I connect to my home's Wi-Fi exactly in the same way as I would be using a laptop? Is there ANY difference at all how the Nook connects and uses Wi-Fi zones compared to laptops?
    Since Nook supports 802.11 b/g in general, yes, Nook will work with just about any Wi-Fi connection that is either WEP or WPA encrypted. It does not support shared keys, though. But very few home Wi-Fi routers have that feature.

2. Since I am from Latvia (that's northern Europe), what is the 3G coverage? I know, that I have to pay monthly fee for my mobile phone, if I want to use 3G internet connection. Will I be able to use 3G at all or is there required some special connection and/or monthly fee?
    You will not be able to use 3G in Latvia unless you softroot your Nook. Even then usage might be iffy. I suggest you forgo the model with 3G and get the Wi-Fi only model even though it will be of only limited usefulness to you.

3. Am I going to experience any problems with software and other issues, because there is no Barnes&Noble store in my country? Any limitations?
    B&N does not sell its ebooks internationally so you will not be able to purchase any eBooks from B&N's online store unless you use a VPN that makes it look like your computer's connection is in the United States. You will not be able to purchase ebooks from B&N on Nook at all without jumping through some very, very technical hoops.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Since Nook has an internet browser built-in, can I just use a proxy website when I want to purchase something? There are hundreds of proxy websites that make it look like you are currently in the United States. Is that going to work or should I just forget about buying Nook?
    I don't really see a point, why they can't sell digital content internationally, since they get the money via a credit card... that is just plain stupid
    Hope you like it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Heya from Belarus, neighbor!

I was able to use 3G here in the country (takes root and a very simple SQLite table update via shell in ADB - detailed at the nookdevs).
    No hiccups, works like a charm (basically you add MCC and other data of your op and mark this new record as default).

As for the buying I guess using http proxy and buying books on the nook's browser, then downloading them is a go while a kickass solution would be to make nook itself use a proxy - so far I've not heard anyone reporting on any settings found in corresponding db tables on the system partition and no word of an app to make it easier for the user to switch between proxy / no-proxy internet access.

IMO, this problem - with buying books outside of US - would be gone in the coming years as the market will have to adjust itself to the growing eBook share and undergo some reformation cause this train is moving being powered by Amazon, BN, Apple and alikes.

edit: quote from mobileread thread:

"mos -- we've tried to make openvpn client work directly on the rooted nook, however it requires a tun.ko driver which we can't properly build until B&N releases the kernel sources. The tun.ko we built just froze nook."
    wbr,
    Vad

Tom Sawyer

Also, I'll be in Riga around 13-15th of July (visiting my friends there and in Cesis) and I'll have the precious El Duderino with me, so we can meet up and you would be able to check it in person.
    wbr,
    Vad

Alright and how does the web browser function in Nook? Can you access absolutely any page you want on the internet or are there restrictions caused by unsupported file formats and similar?
    Hope you like it!

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Atomix
    Alright and how does the web browser function in Nook? Can you access absolutely any page you want on the internet or are there restrictions caused by unsupported file formats and similar?
    My guess that it has stock Android browser in terms of web accessability. BN just adjusted the UI to feet the nook's non-standard HW layout. Hence flashless surfing to pretty much any destination on the web. I've got no Android based phone (iPhone user here), so I'm unable to inform you how does it handle resource-hungry pages (with tons of data to be held in memory which causes an app using more than OS allows it to be forcely closed).
    wbr,
    Vad

How does the black&white thing work?
    Does nook convert all pictures and colored text to black & white, or you can only browse pages that are made specifically for black&white screens?
    Hope you like it!

Tom Sawyer

Think of it as 16 shades of gray display (eInk display) while bottom LCD provides the same experience you're getting on modern mobile phones. But let me put it straight: You don't browse on nook. While it's capable it's not meant or designed with a comfortable web experience in mind.

Let me know if you're interested in seeing the device in person (if you live in Riga), then I'll adjust my schedule for 13-15/07.
    wbr,
    Vad

Vad is right. Nook is not, nor is it intended to be, a tablet computer such as an iPad. It is an eReader. It's primary function is to read ebooks.

A very simple browser is included, but, in my opinion, it is of limited usefulness.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast