Ghosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghosting

Tiny Tim

Default Ghosting

I received my Nook in the mail 2 days ago. While trying to load books Tuesday night, the Nook became stuck while "Checking for New Content". Stuck may be the wrong word, I loaded about 120 books, and after 5 or 6 minutes, the screen still said "Checking for New Content". So I drove an hour away to visit the nearest Barnes and Noble store.

I talked with the Nook salesperson, then they referred me to the manager. The manager called tech support and they asked me a million questions and I had tried all of the procedures they attempted to try an fix my Nook. After an hour, the tech support person that the BN manager spoke with reloaded the 1.4 software via the store's wifi (I'm assuming).

I just attempted to load 40 of the same books I tried loading two nights ago, and after I finished, the Nook recognized the 40 after about 10 seconds. So far so good.

Now that I have books loading properly, I decided to name my Nook. When I get to the Settings - Device, I click "Name Your Nook/Device" and the window pops up for me to name it. It's then that I notice I can see small lines underneath the Name Your Nook window. After some looking, I can see that the lines are the B in Battery Level, which is slightly visible under the Name Your Nook window. When I look closer, I can see several other things written under the window, and it's causing my Name Nook window to discolor.

So is my Nook still messed up or is this normal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Ghosting

This phenomena happens occasionally. The best way to determine if the issue is permantent is to let the battery discharge down to 20% or less. Remove the battery and let it sit overnight. Replace the battery and charge to 100%. You should find the ghosting is gone. The ghost image is not from a burn because that cannot happen like your CRT computer monitor. It's likely an electrical charge problem that will resolve itself. Let us know if the problem continues or worsens but I think if you follow my advice it will dissapear.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

Thanks for your help! I still have several days in my 14 day purchase window to technically return it if it truly is screwed up. I say technically because I thought I would probably be exchanging it when I drove to the physical BN yesterday, but that didn't happen. LOL.

I'll give your suggestions a try. Is there a way to deplete the battery quickly w/o harming the device? Right now, the battery is at 87% so it's probably going to take a while through regular use. This coming Tuesday will be the 14th day since my purchase through the BN website.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

About the only way to run the battery down is to adjust the LCD brightness to 100% and use the nav as much as possible. Turn the sleep timer to the max setting. Surf the web with your settings maxed out and it will run power down pretty fast. That's the best advice I can give you.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

Thanks again! I figured turning on the wifi would help deplete the battery pretty quickly, but raising the screen brightness settings is another great idea. Once I try removing the battery and recharging, I'll report back my findings.

Tiny Tim

OK, yesterday I drained the battery down to about 35%, took the battery out, left it out overnight. When I woke up this morning, I put the battery back in then wall-charged the Nook to 100% without messing with it while it recharged.

It just finished recharging, charged to a full 100%, and I still see what I saw before I ran through the procedure above. Again, what I'm noticing is when I try to name the Nook under Settings, the greyish screen pops over the Settings page allowing you to fill in your own name and the name of the Nook. I am seeing small white lines here and there amongst the grey pop-up window and it's very obvious it's the letters and numbers on the Settings page underneath.

This sort of thing also happens when I've been in the Settings menu for more than a minute or two, then tap the "n" button to take me instantly back to the Nook's homepage. When I arrive back at the Nook homepage, there is a ghosting quality of some of the words and numbers from the Settings page showing through the wallpaper on my Homepage.

This is probably being overly cautious, but I don't want this scenario becoming a bigger problem if other people don't notice something like this with their own Nooks.

Is it cause enough for concern or am I being paranoid?

I think there are other members who have had ghosting problems but I believe they clear up. You have 14 days to return the item for exchange and one year for warranty issues. I would live with it a few days and see if you continue to see it. Eink should not have ghosting burn like CRT monitors do. It may not be refreshing properly. Let us know what you do. B&N has been very good about taking care of the customer. If it concerns you enough take it back to the store you purchased it from and see if the manage will exchange it. I can tell you for sure that ghosting is not a common problem but I have heard of it before.

Another thing you could try is to write over the operating software back to V1.3 or even factory settings and then drop the V1.4 onto the drive via sideload and see if it might be a bug in the OS where it didn't install properly.

Kevin

NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

Thanks for all your help Ktrek!

Your suggestion about rewriting the update/software was actually done when I visited the BN store this past Wednesday. The manager who helped me and, along w/ a phone tech, performed the software reinstall while I was there told me that if I had any more problems to call Customer Service, tell them my Serial Number upon which the phone tech should be able to pull up a log of the previous phone-tech and manager's conversation, and tell them I need to exchange my Nook via postal mail since the nearest brick'n'mortar is about an hour and a half away.

Other than the visual effects I've mentioned, my Nook works fine. BUT, it makes me a little skittish for it to exhibit this, a fear that something like it may progress. Not to mention my Nook has been in hand less than 14 days, LOL.

Again, thanks for all your help! I'm off to call Customer Service. I'll report back what happened, and hopefully have a new one in hand in a couple of days.

Tiny Tim

Just got off the phone with Customer Service, explained everything, including my trip to the brick'n'mortar which they did have a record of, and the phone-tech said he would ask his supervisor if it was alright to issue an exchange. "He may want you to try a few more things before he will OK it" said the tech. I told him: "I've already posted about this problem on a Nook forum and got some great advice from one of the mods. After trying his method, I still experienced the problem." The phone-tech was gone for about 2 minutes, came back and said the exchange had been OK.

Thanks again for all your help Ktrek!

No problemo! B&N has been very good about replacing defective product. Let's pray that the replacement works like a charm!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast