Nook compatibility with microSD card. - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Puck

Default Re: Nook compatibility with microSD card.

Quote Originally Posted by stauff30
    I have memory issues w/ my Nook, which are starting to cascade:

My Settings screen indicates:
    Internal memory: 1.21GB / 1.28GB (95%)
    Total memory: 1.21GB / 1.28GB (95%)

Um, I just bought the **** thing Friday night, and how have 6 books on it! Really? 6 books chews up the entire memory?

Ok, so I went out and bought a 4 GB class 4 microSDHC card. I put it in - NOTHING. microSD card: Not installed.

My O/S (both WinXP and Win7) recognize it and see it as a FAT32 card. But Nook doesn't see it.

Please help. Beyond the quirky "getting to know you" stuff that I find annoying - If I can only have 5-10 books on it this thing is worthless. We spent hours trying to decide if Nook or Kindle were the way to go. I read some other boards and posts - people are all worked up about MP3 players and file allocation/segregation, etc. I bought a Nook so I could use it to read books. According to the fine folks at B&N, supposedly 1,500 of them. Did they inadvertently add 2 0's? Should that have read 15? or is my Nook a lemon?

Thanks -
    It's only showing your internal memory - it is not seeing your SD card for whatever reason - is it right side up and locked down?

It is showing that out of the 1.28GB memory it knows about (internal only) you have 1.21GB still available to use...

Tom
    Nook Classic 3g and Simple Touch
    Admin: http://ScionLife.com/forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

I heard that you need to format the memory card before using it.. i'm not sure about that though.
    2 GB is the total internal memory, but as you might already know, the operating system requires some space of it's own, so after purchase you it, you get around 1.7 GB left.
    Still it's quite much, you can side-load hundreds of books and if you tend to have more space consuming books, such as comics, techinal stuff, audio books, then ofcourse you can purchase a micro sdhc card.
    They don't cost that much these days, last I checked, 16 GB microSDHC costs about $20 - $40
    Check the nooklet I created: http://nookdevs.com/Nooklet_applications
    (Hangman and currency converter).
    Hope you like it!

stauff30

Hey Tom, thanks for the post "It's only showing your internal memory - it is not seeing your SD card for whatever reason - is it right side up and locked down?" The answer is yes. There's actually little tabs and slots built into the card that have to fit into place, not to mention there are pins sticking up and metal contacts on the card that make it kind of obvious. I read another post that sometimes the locking mechanism doesn't fully engage the contacts. That user inserted a little piece of cardboard. I tried that as well - nothing.

BTW, as for pricing. I bought a Dane-Elec microSDHC card from Target yesterday (7/25/10). It was on sale and came with the MicroSD Adapter AND a USB adapter (both work on my PC's). It was 4GB for only $9.99! Wow these are getting cheap! Now if I could get the **** thing to work on my nook... I can't return it, but have other uses in other devices. It did work on my GPS, my Laptop's Cellular USB, and my kid's cell phone - just not my nook. I saw that Best Buy had the SanDisk (popular brand-name) equivalent for ~$20. I may try that as it's still a good price.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

@ stauff30, welcome to NOOKBOARDS.

I don't know if a different card manufacture will necessarily make a difference. Can you borrow somebody else's (of another brand) to see if it will work?

I am hoping other techies will respond with suggestions to your dilemma.

Donna

GalLovesReading0903

I just bought a 8GB Lexar SDHC Class 6 Card today and it works perfectly in my Nook.

Yeah, this is an old topic. Though, in the end I bought a 8gb 6th class too. Cannot complain about anything, this available space is just what I need.
    Check the nooklet I created: http://nookdevs.com/Nooklet_applications
    (Hangman and currency converter).
    Hope you like it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123