USB connection causes reset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mowgli

Default USB connection causes reset

Well, got the nook yesterday, succefully side loaded using Calibre via USB. Today, when I connect to USB it either reboots or goes to the screen saying to dismount to use the nook while charging but it doesnt show up as a drive on my computer like it did yesterday so I can't dismount/eject.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: USB connection causes reset

ok, rebooted the computer (windows xp) pulled the nook battery for about 15 minutes or so and it's fine now. I did notice that ejecting via calibre didnt work. Windows explorer no longer showed the nook connected but the nook stayed at the usb screen. Ejecting via windows explorer worked fine though.

If this problem keeps popping up I'll get an exchange. I noticed a couple of dead pixels in the upper left corner that are not a huge problem but if this usb glitch continues that will be enough for a new one IMO.

Mowgli

Dang it! Back to the same problem. Sometimes it will start to recognize the nook and then lose the connection and the nook reboots. I'm taking this back on the weekend if not sooner for an exchange. Sucks that have to remove the decalgirl skin. Hopefully I can reapply to a new nook.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

A little more data in case someone has an answer other than exchange this one.

Sometimes the computer will go as far as to recognize it as an F: drive but not name it as nook. I go to that drive and it is completely empty. I try to eject it and I get an error message. I'll try rebooting everything again and see how long it works this time.

Mad Hatter

I'd return it just because of the pixel issue... But, have you tried a factory reset (after backing up everything you've bought outside of B&N) and then putting back on Nook V.1.4?

I don't remember if you soft rooted or not.

Donna

Mowgli

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    I'd return it just because of the pixel issue... But, have you tried a factory reset (after backing up everything you've bought outside of B&N) and then putting back on Nook V.1.4?

I don't remember if you soft rooted or not.
    Haven't softrooted. Everything outside of B&N came from my computer so no problem there. I'll try the factory reset before I take it back.

What operating system are you using? I have Windows 7 and have not had any problems on the eject. In fact most of the time I just unplug and never use the eject feature. The pixel issue could be a battery issue that will resolve itself with more charges. Usually if there is a real screen problem it shows up as streaks not isolated pixels.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mad Hatter

Kevin, he has windows xp... I do, too, and have had no problems with it.

I hadn't heard about the pixel issue before. I just know that when I had that with my digicam, it went back immediately.

Donna

Puck

I noticed on my work computer that sometimes the Nook shows as a drive letter only and other times it gets the (Nook) tag, I always just assumed it was a windows thing and not the Nook. I never opened the drive to see if I could see content when it was just a drive letter though. This is with XP.

Never experienced the restart issue.
    Reading Now: Hostile Intent
    Recently Finished: The Pawn

Mowgli

ok, so I tried a different USB port last night and it worked fine. Today, it freezes up Windows explorer and pretty much crashes my computer when I plug the nook in. I'm downloading some updates from Dell and see if that changes things. If not, unregister and reset to factory settings and try again. If that doesnt work I go for an exchange on the weekend :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast