Reading Technical PDF books on Nook - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mad Hatter

Default Re: Reading Technical PDF books on Nook

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat67
    ur one away from 4000 posts!!
    I'm over... It's a sickness, I tell ya'!

Donna

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

My good friends..

Let´s face it. The reason of moving the thread was in a good intention BUT.. nobody is helping to solve or at least, to propose a workaround to the question.
    I think that reading PDF on Nook has some issues that people on the the same situation can pose or propose alternative ways.
    Why don´t you return the Thread to the original place...???

Thanks and sorry for all the situation...javascript:void(0);

Tiny Tim

Agreed - PDF support on the nook isn't very good on most tech style books w/ lots of graphics. I started a similar thread maybe 8 months ago. The iPads/iPhones and Sony devices do appear to handle it better - not sure on the other brands. I was very disappointed myself since some of the primary things I wanted on my nook were manuals (motorcycle, camera, etc) and technical books. I have contacted nook support asking them to review their software - please do the same hopefully they will listen if more and more people start reporting the issue.

Converting to ePub doesn't seem to help me but I must admit I haven't invested much effort. You may consider investing a bit of time into using Calibre's conversion. There are a lot of options in their conversion and maybe you will come across some settings that may help - if you do please share. You could also maybe load the resulting epub into a tool like Sigil and trying to clean it up.

Good luck and please share any positive results!

Quote Originally Posted by smafra
    Hello,

I´m trying to read a technical book on my nook that is in PDF format. This books has a lot of figures and tables. When I try to read it on my nook, all the figures and tables became a mesh.
    I looked on some other foruns and they say that this can be fix using tools. I´ve tried to use one called soPDF but was no lucky.
    What do you recommend?
    Some of other said.. If you wanna read PDF correctly ->Go with an iPad..

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Yep, PDF support on the NOOK is iffy at best. Precisely the reason I'd like to see someone come out with an A4-sized reader or tablet. As far as iPad, I refuse to buy a tablet that has no USB or SD support without buying a stupid dongle...

Tom Sawyer

The only thing that's worked for me in the tech PDF area (but when it did work, it worked fantastically) is cutting the A4 page in half lengthwise (using "soPDF" - can be found on Mobilereads) and turning it at right angles (so it shows up sideways on the nook). Then, with the font set at small, the PDF will render at 100% zoom and look just like a printed version. Also, equations, tables, graphs look totally fine. What's more, soPDF does not convert text to images so the PDF retains all its text as text and graphics as vector graphics. Give it a try sometime

Mad Hatter

@ thrawn_aj: Thanks for the info on the PDF editor.

Donna

Tom Sawyer

You're welcome Donna .
    Here's the Mobilereads thread in question - http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=soPDF. I believe the program is only available there (as an attachment to the first post).

Frabjous (a very helpful Mobilereads user) wrote a point-n-click interface for it (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=63).

It's a little tricky to use and the best way to get started (IMHO) is to get a (test) 2 page pdf and try different settings with it to see if you can get exactly what you want. When you get the right settings for you, make a note of it. As a bonus, you can even add PDF metadata while doing the processing.

Oliver

I'd like to recommend you a new PDF reader.i have used it for a long time.Maybe it will help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12