Can't use Nook while charging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Can't use Nook while charging.

When I eject the drive, the unit remains unresponsive. Screen has connect message with instructions to eject for use while charging. I thinkI have done this successfully before, but after repeated attempts, I can't get it to work now. BTW I don't have anSD card installed & the drive does not show under My Computer & status at top of Nook says "USB Drive Mode". Tried a cold start & same result. Unit may be fully charged, could this be a factor?

kev

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can't use Nook while charging.

I have never been able to read my nook while it was plugged into the USB. I don't know whether it's normal or not, but it never bothered me since I don't really care to read my nook while it's attached to my computer. The only time I use the USB is when I need to sideload books.

I don't have this issue when it's plugged into the wall and charging, I can continue reading with no problem. And it also seems to charge faster when it's plugged into the wall.

Sue
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Mad Hatter

kev, I am not sure what operating system your PC has. Have you tried the safely remove hardware function?

Another thing you might need to do is reset your battery.

I am hoping others might have additional suggestions for you.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Can't use Nook while charging. SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    kev, I am not sure what operating system your PC has. Have you tried the safely remove hardware function?

Another thing you might need to do is reset your battery.

I am hoping others might have additional suggestions for you.
    Thanks, using Vista & the "Safely Remove" function in the task bar. It dismounts as far as Vista is concerned, tone & no drive shown in "Computer". I have removed & reinstalled battery. I did notice that the battery icon at the top of screen is solid & doesn't have a +. The charge LED is on, so it is probably charging. OK, trying AC charging & I can use the unit. Apparently this thing doesn't dismount properly or the "switch" is not being toggled. The battery icon is still solid. Thought it was supposed to show a + when charging???
    I will keep notes on it's behavior. BTW I thought I had used the charge/reading feature, but that was probably on my Kobo.

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Solved: Found a year old thread on the B&N community. You must eject the device from the "Computer" screen, not the icon in task bar. Right click the Nook icon & eject device. BTW It is convenient for me to use the PC/USB to charge, because I am often closer to a USB jack than an AC/USB adapter. Anyway, it works fine as described above. [/size][/size][/size][/size]

Mad Hatter

kev, I am glad you got this resolved. I musta' misread your post as I ONLY go to My Computer, find my Nook (drive), and then eject it (via the menu when opposite mouse clicking) - I had assume that that wasn't working for you.

Donna

Puck

ahhh, so glad I found this thread! I was about to post the same thing! THANK you for figuring out how to read while charging
    Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.

Oliver

Me too - I just joined the B&N forum because of this problem - and I just went in to MY COMPUTER and ejected it that way and voila! Thank you. The reason I have to use my computer to charge is because I left my wall plug at a motel when traveling. Any suggestions where to buy a compatible replacement? Walmart has a universal one but I don't know the specs on the original Nook wall adapter so was hesitant to buy just anything. Don't want to fry it. I should probably just buy the whole unit from B&N.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy
    Any suggestions where to buy a compatible replacement?
    I just found out from an earlier post that my cell phone charger charges my Nook. I originally found this out for the car charger, but had thought that using the house wall charger, which is always plugged in, is easier than grabbing the combination wall/USB nook charger. So if Walmart has a universal charger and I think ours came from Radio Shack, hopefully one of those 2 places can help you out.

Oliver

Anyone have an answer for a regular electrical charge? I have my nook color charging with regular plug in wall and the charger Nook provided. When I try to use the nook color while charging, the thing goes berserk! I slide my finger in usual manner on right side and it will turn two or maybe three pages, or maybe it will go back a page or two. It is so frustrating, I read way too much and therefore, need more than one charge a day. Anyone else experience this? Ohhh and I can't even think about going on the web not knowing what will be clicked. When I unplug the charge it's fine. Thus, eliminating the possibility that I'm not turning the pages right or handling the screen correctly. Only does this when plugged in.

Oliver

Anyone have an answer for a regular electrical charge?  I have my nook color charging with regular plug in wall and the charger Nook provided.  When I try to use the nook color while charging, the thing goes berserk!  I slide my finger in usual manner on right side and it will turn two or maybe three pages, or maybe it will go back a page or two.  It is so frustrating, I read way too much and therefore, need more than one charge a day.  Anyone else experience this? Ohhh and I can't even think about going on the web not knowing what will be clicked.  When I unplug the charge it's fine.  Thus, eliminating the possibility that I'm not turning the pages right or handling the screen correctly.  Only does this when plugged in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast