I'm missing a chunk of an ebook. Now what? :S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default I'm missing a chunk of an ebook. Now what? :S

Heya,

All righty, so here goes....

I decided to choose Christopher Moore's "Lamb" as my first book read on my nook. I had nook download it, and I've been reading through it. I've run into an odd problem:

When I get to page 412 of this book (in Amasis Medium), the text suddenly jumps to page 424. When I click back once, nothing happens, no matter how long I wait. But if I click back again, the text jumps to page 399.

Thing is, I know that the text of Lamb is complete. I've read this very same ebook from B&N on my iPod touch, mostly, though I've also looked at bits of it on my PC. The text really is all there, but it's missing from my nook for some reason. Is there any way for me to fix this on my end? I really don't know how to fix this. If I could erase "Lamb" from this nook and re-download a new version, I'd think that might help, but yeah...other than that, I wouldn't know how else to fix this. :S

--Roxie

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: I'm missing a chunk of an ebook. Now what? :S

Roxie, I suggest you delete the file from your Nook and download it again. According to the manual the only way to delete a file is via USB. Connect Nook to your PC, navigate to the file and delete. This is on page 116 of the manual. After that download the file again.

If this doesn't help I suggest you contact B&N support and alert them to a corrupted file.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Tom Sawyer

Ahhh, okay--so that's how you delete ebooks. I should hook up my nook right now just to see what the files look like now.

In the meanwhile, uh...I did find another way to solve my problem, but it was a very "brute force" method. I de-registered nook, then reset nook to factory settings, then re-downloaded the book. I can now access the "missing" text in my copy of Lamb, but I don't have page numbers anymore along the top right corners of the pages anymore. I'm wondering if the highlights/bookmarks that I added had messed things up somehow? *big shrug*

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

That is kind of "brute force."

I'm a little surprised there's no way to delete files from the interface.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Tiny Tim

I would have suggested that you change the font, to force it to re-flow the text, and see if that fixed it. I'm sorry you had to go through the whole hard reset thing.

Tom Sawyer

My first nook book has a chunk missing too. I am going to try to change the font and see if the reformatting will help. If not, I will delete and redownload.
    Well behaved women rarely make history.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    That is kind of "brute force."

I'm a little surprised there's no way to delete files from the interface.

Regards,
    Michael
    *snerk* No kidding. At least I really didn't have much to lose at that point. It only was a few hours since I'd unboxed my nook, after all.

Personally, I'm wishing that B&N would let us overwrite files, at least, if we can't delete them. I wouldn't have minded trying to re-download that file so I could overwrite it.

--Roxie

Tom Sawyer

Changing the font and allowing the nook to reformat cleared up my 'missing pages' issue. I hope this doesn't happen again!
    Well behaved women rarely make history.

Administrator

Jennifer, thanks for confirming that that works too. That’s probably the easiest method. I have heard that a few people have had this issue, so it’s good to know a quick way to fix it. Guess I should start a “how-to” from the questions in here now!

Roxie- Did you ever get the page numbers to show up? I noticed when I used an in-store model that when I changed the font size, the page numbers disappeared. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Tom Sawyer

I'm having the missing pages issues with one of my books, and while changing the font style or size fixed it, I can't change it back to Amasis Medium without it reverting to the cruddy, missing pages version. Anybody found a way around this? Should I just delete it and try again?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast