faulty files at B&N's ebookstore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default faulty files at B&N's ebookstore?

Heya,

I think I stumbled on a faulty file: the sample version of Laura Esquivel's "Like Water for Chocolate." When I tried to download it, I made the store force close with the following error:

"Sorry! The application Library (process.com.bravo.library) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Oddly enough, I got that error while I was in "shop," not in "my library." I checked my account and B&N's website, and "Chocolate" is there. But it's not in my library. And if I go back to "shop" in my nook, then try to download the sample, I get a message saying that I've already got that sample and it's in "my library." But it's not. It's not there when I look at "my library" from nook, and there is no file with that name in my nook when I hook it up to my computer.

I've reported this error to "[email protected]," and haven't heard from them.

In the meanwhile...if you guys don't mind humoring me, could you also try to download the sample version of "Like Water for Chocolate" and see what happens?

--Roxie

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mfaine

Default Re: faulty files at B&N's ebookstore?

Quote Originally Posted by RoxieRavenclaw
    Heya,

I think I stumbled on a faulty file: the sample version of Laura Esquivel's "Like Water for Chocolate." When I tried to download it, I made the store force close with the following error:

"Sorry! The application Library (process.com.bravo.library) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Oddly enough, I got that error while I was in "shop," not in "my library." I checked my account and B&N's website, and "Chocolate" is there. But it's not in my library. And if I go back to "shop" in my nook, then try to download the sample, I get a message saying that I've already got that sample and it's in "my library." But it's not. It's not there when I look at "my library" from nook, and there is no file with that name in my nook when I hook it up to my computer.

I've reported this error to "[email protected]," and haven't heard from them.

In the meanwhile...if you guys don't mind humoring me, could you also try to download the sample version of "Like Water for Chocolate" and see what happens?

--Roxie
    It's the device or more precisely the software that is the culprit, not the book. I had this same experience repeatedly yesterday. I eventually had to download the book I wanted from the website and side-load it. I never could get anything to download. I will keep trying but in a way I'm glad to see other people having this issue because maybe it will get corrected sooner.

I also reported the error and will post when I have received a reply from B&N.

On a related note, have you come across any poorly formatted text yet? The book I downloaded yesterday is 99.5% OK but contains the occasional loose line? I'd accept that for a Google book or something free but not otherwise, not even in a DTB.

-Mark

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    It's the device or more precisely the software that is the culprit, not the book. I had this same experience repeatedly yesterday. I eventually had to download the book I wanted from the website and side-load it. I never could get anything to download. I will keep trying but in a way I'm glad to see other people having this issue because maybe it will get corrected sooner.

I also reported the error and will post when I have received a reply from B&N.

On a related note, have you come across any poorly formatted text yet? The book I downloaded yesterday is 99.5% OK but contains the occasional loose line? I'd accept that for a Google book or something free but not otherwise, not even in a DTB.

-Mark
    Actually, I'm not so sure that it was the device itself. I did try downloading two other ebook samples. I downloaded two other things from the Bestsellers section of the store--Dean Koontz's "Breathless" and something from Charlaine Harris. I looked both samples over carefully to make sure they were, indeed, downloaded properly, then deleted them from my account at B&N's website.

I've noticed some typos or formatting errors before in the ebooks-and not just the ones viewed on nook. I've got the B&N ereader on my iPod touch and I've noticed the odd spelling error or formatting error. I end up wishing I could go in with an editor of some kind and fix them, as long as I see them--I've done my share of proofreading in my time, and I abhor spelling/formatting errors. >.<

Don't be so quick to think this kind of stuff doesn't happen in DTB's, though. Case in point: a copy of a reprinted version of Dean Koontz's "House of Thunder." I'd bought it a couple years ago from Borders, and it was the mass-marketed paperback version. I think that the copy I got might've been one of the last ones with the original cover. I bought this book and kept it at work, but never quite got around to reading much past the first chapter, since I'd read the book in high school.

Anyhoo...last week, I loaned the book to a co-worker of mine. He got a bit past the first chapter, then asked me to look at the rest of the book. I did and saw all kinds of odd symbols thrown into the text--the trademark symbol, along with other odd symbols. It's something you have to see to believe. (And speaking of which--I should see about taking a cell phone pic of the book so you can see just what I mean.) I'd never seen a DTB that was that bad before. My foray into ebooks is making me wonder if maybe, the publisher of "House of Thunder" didn't have the original file of this book and had to re-scan it, and then they didn't bother to check the text and just went ahead and printed it instead.

This is making me wonder...what if we happen to encounter ebooks that are just as bad--just as badly formatted or with lots of distracting typos? I know that B&N can't give us refunds, but it won't do to leave us with a bad file, either. Even iTunes doesn't do that with their bad files--and yeah, there's at least one bad music file at iTunes. (Or was--I don't know.) I stumbled on one such bad file at iTunes--I bought an album from "Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings," and one particular track, "Casela Walk," was really bad. It was a 10 minute long file that would play nothing but silence if you tried to listen to it from beginning to end. Yet, if you fast forwarded through it, you'd hear music. And if you rewound it to any other point in the track, you'd hear silence. It didn't matter where you tried to play it, either--it still happened. And as I found out earlier this summer, months after I complained about it to Apple, even their sample worked the same way. Plus, oddly enough, if you tried looking up "Casela Walk" at iTunes to spot it as a single track, the other version(s) of it were about 3-4 minutes long. O.o After complaining to iTunes about it, they returned my $10 to me, which really surprised me. All I had expected was $.99 for it, or a credit for one free song download. I didn't expect them to return my money for the entire album, since the other tracks were okay.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think we'll be seeing this kind of five-star treatment from B&N. (Or Amazon, or any other ebookseller. Not yet, anyway, especially if that's not a policy across the board with anyone selling ebooks.) Just as it took years for Apple to get better with iTunes-related customer service, it's gonna take years for ebookstores to figure out how to give us excellent customer service. And the responsibility isn't just theirs, since they're also at the mercy of publishers and/or authors, too, since they work hand-in-hand with each other, and what one does will affect the other somehow. In order for ebookstores to give us the kind of service we want, the publishers/authors have to be willing to bend a bit more.

--Roxie

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Roxie I think you make some important points about the quality of the ebooks we going to be getting. After downloading a handful of "google books" I've decided that I will just leave them alone. They are terrible. All Google is doing is scanning the books and throwing them on the web with no proof reading or copy editing being done. So what if they are free if the copy is so riddled with mistakes it is unreadable? No Thanks.

I got a couple of books like that from Fictionwise.com and I let them know how distracting the spelling mistakes and copy editing errors were. Their support told me they alerted the publisher, and they offered me a refund.

I plan to let B&N know if I get ebooks with these kinds of mistakes. I expect my ebooks to copy edited and proof read just as diligently as I now most DTBs are. I suggest we all do the same thing. B&N may have to rely on the publishers to provide the ebooks but they don't have to carry the ebooks if they are so riddled with errors they are unreadable. Hopefully B&N will exert this kind of leverage with publishers on our behalf.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mowgli

I'm hoping that B&N takes the same approach as Amazon with regard to refunds. You can return an e-book 7 days after purchase (and I think even for that amount of time there is not a reason required for refund). I've never taken that long to return a book (only returned same day of purchase) but there should be some comparable refund policy for ebooks purchased through B&N (at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

mfaine

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    Roxie I think you make some important points about the quality of the ebooks we going to be getting. After downloading a handful of "google books" I've decided that I will just leave them alone. They are terrible. All Google is doing is scanning the books and throwing them on the web with no proof reading or copy editing being done. So what if they are free if the copy is so riddled with mistakes it is unreadable? No Thanks.

I got a couple of books like that from Fictionwise.com and I let them know how distracting the spelling mistakes and copy editing errors were. Their support told me they alerted the publisher, and they offered me a refund.

I plan to let B&N know if I get ebooks with these kinds of mistakes. I expect my ebooks to copy edited and proof read just as diligently as I now most DTBs are. I suggest we all do the same thing. B&N may have to rely on the publishers to provide the ebooks but they don't have to carry the ebooks if they are so riddled with errors they are unreadable. Hopefully B&N will exert this kind of leverage with publishers on our behalf.

Regards,
    Michael
    Agreed. I have already commented on it before but scanning and OCR-ing is not a substitute for a well produced eBook, even if it is free. Also, If I come across any eBooks that are improperly formatted or that contain errors I will report it to B&N but it may be hard to tell what is a formatting issue with the software and what is an issue with the eBook file.

-Mark

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by mfaine
    Agreed. I have already commented on it before but scanning and OCR-ing is not a substitute for a well produced eBook, even if it is free. Also, If I come across any eBooks that are improperly formatted or that contain errors I will report it to B&N but it may be hard to tell what is a formatting issue with the software and what is an issue with the eBook file.

-Mark

I don't think it'd be too difficult. It helps to get a second opinion--via B&N's ereader app for PC/blackberry/iphone. If the same kind errors show up in any of the other ereader app's, then it could very well be a problem with the ebook itself. Usually, I restrict myself to say that grammatical/spelling errors are ebook typos. It doesn't seem to me that nook (or any ereader) just throws in odd symbols or purposely misspells words on its own. :P

--Roxie

Administrator

I agree that formatting/spelling mistakes etc… that are really bad should be reported to B&N, and I am sure if they get enough reports, they’ll let the publisher know about it. Hopefully the publisher will clean it up. I know this has happened many times with books at Amazon. They will pull the book for a short time, clean it up and re-release it. Though with Amazon you’d have to re-buy the book (have Amazon refund your $, then re-buy) to get the new copy. I wonder if B&N will just let us have the new file straight away without going through that whole thing. Anyway I agree with Roxie that errors in books are 99% of the time on the publisher’s side. They just don’t take the time to really review them. I am reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon right now and I am surprised by the number of errors in it (maybe like only 5-6, but still more than there should be for such a well-known author). But this isn’t Amazon’s fault; it’s not their responsibility to check the files for those kinds of errors.

So far as Google books go, I am not even going to bother. I will be using feedbooks for all my public domain books. They do a GREAT job of checking them and every one I have read through there has had good formatting. (Of course I haven’t read them all, but they seem to be good. )

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

I hope I'm not pulling this thread too far afield, but I had to report the copy of Outlander I bought to Fictionwise.com this morning. The formatting on it is just terrible. I started reading it last night but only got about half a dozen pages in because the reading experience was so bad. There are 2 carriage returns between every paragraph, and no paragraph indentations. On one "page" each sentence was on its own line. Terrible, just terrible reading experience. I was very disappointed at the lack of quality control from the publisher, Bantam Books.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Administrator

Huh I have Outlander on the Kindle from Amazon and that was not the case for me at all. I wonder what the difference is?

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast