Nook not getting in-store offers - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Nook not getting in-store offers

I've got a bit of news related to this. Yesterday, I visited a B&N near my job and took nook along with it to see if anything would happen--like if it would automatically switch on the wi-fi, as at least one person has reported here at nookboards. (Nothing happened with mine.) There were also no in-store offers yet when I checked "the daily," but that's fine with me, since we aren't supposed to be getting anything till early next year, anyway. But, hey--a girl has to try, right? :P

At this B&N that I visited, there is no nook kiosk, but it looks more like they hijacked their own customer service dept to turn it into a customer service/nook kiosk instead, with one working demo nook. So I went to customer service and talked shop with the folks behind the counter. They said I was the first person to come in with a nook, so they were eager to see what I'd done with it. I showed them my "retro" wallpapers and showed them something new (if you like swiping to turn pages, you can get away with swiping along the bar that the "n" button is on, too, if you don't want to use the LCD screen). One of the rep's told me they'd gotten an internal email about what's going to be in the software update that we'll be receiving soon. She asked me if I'd received any email about this yet, and I said no, I hadn't--so she pulled up the internal email on her computer and read it aloud to me. She ticked off a whole laundry list of things that were going to be changed or added, and one of the things that jumped out at me was something about getting the in-store offers. Apparently, it's not as simple as flicking on some switch in any B&N to just allow us to get offers just yet. There's also some programming-related thing that we need to get in order to enable this, too.

So, long story short: Part of the reason why we're not getting in-store offers is that there seems to be something missing in our nooks, software-wise.

--Roxie

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

edg
    Tiny Tim

I visited the DC B&N Friday just before the snow started falling. I did get the wifi but not the offer. I asked about the cookie and was told it was supposed to be one of the pages for special offers on the Shop screen. When I showed the B&N person my Nook and he saw it wasn't there, he sent me over to the Starbucks and called them. Cookie was worth the ask.

I was told the update would be sent this week but no other details.

Incidentally, there were no Nook accessories in the DC store. Guess I need to check the Malls.

Tiny Tim

I'm guessing the software update had the special offer fix, because when I went to B&N today, my special in-store offers were there. Besides the free cookie, there were free downloads from various authors, from what I can see, mostly 3-5 pages long. These were along the lines of the stuff we are already getting in 'the daily' section of our nooks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by edieb
    I'm guessing the software update had the special offer fix, because when I went to B&N today, my special in-store offers were there. Besides the free cookie, there were free downloads from various authors, from what I can see, mostly 3-5 pages long. These were along the lines of the stuff we are already getting in 'the daily' section of our nooks.
    Hiya!

Where'd you get the special offers? I just stopped by B&N during my coffee break and turned on the wi-fi. I was pleased to see the little B&N in the right top corner, but I didn't have much time to do any looking around. I checked the daily and downloaded a sample of a printed book that caught my eye, but that was it.

--Roxie

d'Artagnan

I've had the same experience. I've taken my nook into two different B&N stores a total of three different times. The people who work in both stores who have the nooks themselves had the offers come up and one of the stores' demo model showed the offer. I do know that it should be in the shop section of your nook. Mine just didn't pull up the special offers, even though it connected to the B&N wifi. They were nice to me and printed the cookie coupon for me to take to the cafe, though! Those are some good cookies!

I read somebody on the B&N help boards took hers in eight times before she got the deals.

djwurm

I have taken my nook into 3 different Barnes and Nobles in the Dallas area. I log on to the B&N Wifi and it tells me to check the shop for special offers but when I go to the shop I dont see anything special. I guess this is something that will be rolled out soon but I thought a big market like Dallas would have at least the free cookie offer...

I've been in several of the Dallas stores myself and have had no problem seeing offers. You do know what to look for right? When you go to Store you should see the large ad at the bottom change to in store offers and then you can use your page turn button on the side to scroll through the offers. It's not the list but the big ad at the bottom of the list. I made that mistake when I first got mine. Also, the cookie offer may be over. I don't know because I have not been back in a store since the initial offer was supposed to have closed.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mowgli

I hope the cookie offer is still good. I haven't been to the store with my nook yet, and I love cookies.
    Matt

http://twitter.com/Gloomy50

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12