Nook won't recognize content on MicroSD card - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Re: Nook won't recognize content on MicroSD card

Is there a folder structure for files on the SD card? Should folders be set up similar to on the Nook drive? Does it matter? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cmcginnes
    Is there a folder structure for files on the SD card? Should folders be set up similar to on the Nook drive? Does it matter? Thanks!
    You can create folders on the MicroSD card, but Nook doesn't recognize them; it will display the contents of the card in a flat list in the order in which you added the content to the card. So it's your choice to do that or not.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

chimi

I've discovered what appears to be either a design or manufacturing problem with the microSD socket. On my unit the metal cover does not keep the card pressed against the PCB contacts. Only seconds after proper insertion and the card clicking and locking in place and the cover being closed, the cover pops up and the card is loose. As a fix I cut out a small rectangle of foam left over from the nook's packing and placed it atop the metal cover just before replacing the nook's back cover. It seems to be working reliably now.

Anyone else have this problem?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I'm having similar issues, when I installed the sd card (love the tutorial btw, extremely helpful thanks!) and turned the Nook back on I got nothing. it said looking for new content, and I waited, and waited, the screensaver came on not only no new content but the current book I was reading in my documents wasn't being picked up either.

My B&N stuff was fine, just my documents were gone. Once I removed the card and turned it back on, they were back.

So does content on the card over ride the users documents that are on the nook itself (Not B&N stuff, but our own side loaded content), which I guess would explain my current read disappearing? Also I had preloaded my card with my files, should I have installed it and then added the content either through Calibre or drag and drop? It's a brand new 2g PNY Micro SD card.

Thanks

gsolo

It's is extremely frustrating that NOONE from the Nook development team has weighed in on this problem. And it IS a problem on many levels.

1) There is clearly a bug (either in the Google OS that provides mass storage services to the Nook application, or in the Nook application itself) that makes it completely a crap shoot as to whether or not microSD content shows up for the user. Sorry but if, under Settings, the microSD card appears with an accurate accounting of used and free space on the card then there is no doubt that the card can be physically read by the nook hw. Why the Nook development team does not admit to this and project a patch release date to fix it is beyond me. IF B&N wants to be taken seriously then it needs to act accordingly.

2) The Nook hw supports up to a 16GB microSD card. And you mean to tell me that it is acceptable to expose all of that content in a flat hierarchy ?!? (i.e., without any folder structure) This is insanely stupid, and completely unacceptable!

Am shocked that noone else on this board is as appalled as I am at the lack of disclosure on the part of the nook development team w/r/t bugs, projected fix time lines, and that it is ok to take, for example 16GB of mp3 music and have it all appear in a single listing (assuming that you can get it to appear at all)!!!

I definitely hear you and empathize with your frustration. However nookboards.com is not affiliated with Barnes & Noble in any way so it is highly unlikely that any Nook devs would post anything about their work here. We always encourage folks to report problems to B&N directly via their email contact page.

Being in software development myself I'm not shocked that B&N don't give details about their development process. No software development companies really do, honestly. I would like for them to, but, alas, such is not the case.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by gsolo
    Am shocked that noone else on this board is as appalled as I am at the lack of disclosure on the part of the nook development team w/r/t bugs, projected fix time lines, and that it is ok to take, for example 16GB of mp3 music and have it all appear in a single listing (assuming that you can get it to appear at all)!!!
    I agree with Michael. Realistically, their dev team has internal version release schedules to address bugs and provide the new whizbang features. But even if the developers wanted to make these details public, the manager/execs who are responsible for their work can just say, "nope, B&N eyes only" and we get nada for info. I do wish companies offered version release schedules through their support channel. It would give the community something to look forward to.
    peace out...

gsolo

Michael and Knick Knack,

Thanks for your comments. And I will follow up with B&N using the contact you provided Michael, again thanks. I too work in the high tech industry and while I can appreciate your comments regarding the confidentiality with which they treat their patch release schedule, I think it is an entirely different case, and not unreasonable to expect for them to own up to the presence of a bug or bugs and provide some semblance of customer support, at least in committing to getting identified bugs patched expediently.

And I just cannot understand how ANYONE can accept a solution that flattens 16GB into a single list. Just to highlight the lunacy, if you take 16GB worth of 128Kss MP3 2 channel audio files, this translates to enough mp3 music to fill just over 11 full 24 hour days of non repeated musical selections. Having this many files in a single listing is ridiculous. There must be something very broken in Android's mass storage file system services. Either that or the Nook application is severely broken in this regard. It's like going back to the digital audio player capabilities of a first or second generation Motorola RAZR. (except that they didn't support enough microSD capacity to really drive you nuts,.... think they were limited to 2GB which was insane enough to have in a single list)

If this is the best that B&N can do, then they are going to have their lunch eaten by Apple in no time.

Come on B&N,... is this really what you want your serviceable market to think is the way that your product was designed to function?

Oliver

+1 on the above. I'm not so hyper about them revealing their deep dark secrets but I want this to succeed and I think it'll turn into an orphaned piece of junk if they don't get their heads out of their anal cavities and give us some real software.

The "never-ending" list of books is pathetic and I rake them over the coals in every forum I can think of. I suggest that you also post in the Nook sub-forum of Mobileread.com since that has a lot of people deciding just what ereader to purchase.

If they see what a POS this Nook is with the current feeble software, it may force B & N to come to grips with the fact that right now, this is a loser.

I hang out over on the B&N nook forum too, and believe me, there are lots of people voicing their displeasure over the lack of organizational options for the nook! Not to mention dividing the content into "Ours" (B&N content) and "Everybody Else's" (My Documents). It's sadly funny to read the comments right after the last update about how they gave us Sudoku but no organization.

I currently have less than 100 books on my nook right now, and I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to find something if I were to have ten times that number!

Sue
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast