Nook won't recognize content on MicroSD card - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Nook won't recognize content on MicroSD card

Quote Originally Posted by gsolo
    Michael and Knick Knack,

Thanks for your comments. And I will follow up with B&N using the contact you provided Michael, again thanks. I too work in the high tech industry and while I can appreciate your comments regarding the confidentiality with which they treat their patch release schedule, I think it is an entirely different case, and not unreasonable to expect for them to own up to the presence of a bug or bugs and provide some semblance of customer support, at least in committing to getting identified bugs patched expediently.
    While I agree with you in principle that it would be good for B&N to acknowledge bugs and say they are working on them and give a timeline for fixing them, in practice it simply isn't going to happen. The only software development outfits I know of who do things like that are small companies who have a more intimate relationship with their customers. I suggest you take a couple of deep breaths and just let it go.

And I just cannot understand how ANYONE can accept a solution that flattens 16GB into a single list. Just to highlight the lunacy, if you take 16GB worth of 128Kss MP3 2 channel audio files, this translates to enough mp3 music to fill just over 11 full 24 hour days of non repeated musical selections. Having this many files in a single listing is ridiculous. There must be something very broken in Android's mass storage file system services. Either that or the Nook application is severely broken in this regard. It's like going back to the digital audio player capabilities of a first or second generation Motorola RAZR. (except that they didn't support enough microSD capacity to really drive you nuts,.... think they were limited to 2GB which was insane enough to have in a single list)

If this is the best that B&N can do, then they are going to have their lunch eaten by Apple in no time.

Come on B&N,... is this really what you want your serviceable market to think is the way that your product was designed to function?
    I suggest you are asking the wrong question. Instead of how could you let something so poorly designed as the MP3 player on Nook obviously is out the door, I suggest we should be asking why even include it at all? Radical, I know. Even though I know practically every electronic gadget released these days "has" to have the ability to play MP3s I simply don't understand what is the point. I rented a car on a recent business trip and the 3rd party GPS device had an MP3 player built-in. Seriously? Why?

I bought my Nook to read books, not listen to music. I have an iPod, iPhone and home audio system for that. I doubt that there is any deficiency in Android that mandates the poor MP3 player organization in Nook OS. I think it was just a check box on the "required" features list some marketing person with B&N came up with, which then wasn't spec'd out properly, but the engineers had to include anyway.

So if we're going to complain about features, or lack of features, of the Nook (and there are plenty of things to complain about) lets do it about things that really matter to the reading experience. eBook organization, support for tags and folders, universal bookmarks list, power management, etc. Focus your energy, young padawan.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Michael, I agree with you again.

Folks, I use/love my Nook for reading. I do not use it to listen to music or even browse the web (was sorta' (sorta') interesting to me for a day or two to be able to do this, but haven't in a while). I do NOT like the lack of organization on the device itself, but I use Calibre to help me handle things. I do software testing for a living and wish the apps/systems I work on would meet their customer's intended use as well as the Nook does for me and so many others.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Bamrz
    I hang out over on the B&N nook forum too, and believe me, there are lots of people voicing their displeasure over the lack of organizational options for the nook! Not to mention dividing the content into "Ours" (B&N content) and "Everybody Else's" (My Documents). It's sadly funny to read the comments right after the last update about how they gave us Sudoku but no organization.

I currently have less than 100 books on my nook right now, and I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to find something if I were to have ten times that number!

Sue
    The folks over on the B&N boards can get, uhm, passionate can't they?

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by inkonvelvet
    That's one way to describe it.
    indifference-challenged?
    peace out...

Mad Hatter

The occasional link from here to B&N boards usually gives me pause as when I go there there is often times some very 'passionate' (how's that for being PC?) discussions going on... Not my style, but to each their own.

I remember spending a significant amount of time there when I first found out I was getting a Nook as a present - I cannot remember how I got here (NOOKBOARDS), but ever since I've been an avid fan and poster.

Donna

I don't use the mp3 player but only because the jack is on the bottom. The only time I would use it is at the gym. I HATE cardio, so when I do it I need to completely distract myself on all levels. I like to read and have earphones in. But I can't stand my nook on the ledge on the machines with the ear phone jack on the bottom, so I still have to use my phone for songs.
    www.twitter.com/decrescenzo

'The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.' - Ayn Rand

Mad Hatter

(Remember the days of backorders?)
    Yeah... I remember the angst (as I experienced it as well)... I remember people posting minute-by-minute count-downs of when their Nook was going to arrive based on the tracking information they got from UPS... Glad that is over with!

Donna

Mad Hatter

I remember that, too! It's hard to imagine now that nooks are so readily available, but once they were rare.
    Doesn't it make you wish they had serial numbers for issuance we could understand... Maybe we could find a 'first edition' # 1... Wouldn't that be a fun poll if we knew what the SN's meant?!

Donna

beta15

I just spoke with Digital Support, called at their request after email exchange did not resolve this issue for me.

Per the rep I spoke with, the nook has a recognized problem reading high-capacity SD cards (cards marked with "SDHC"). I was told the software engineers are working on a solution.

Guess I'll just leave my SDHC 8gb class 2 card in place until they get it figured out...

Quote Originally Posted by beta15
    I just spoke with Digital Support, called at their request after email exchange did not resolve this issue for me.

Per the rep I spoke with, the nook has a recognized problem reading high-capacity SD cards (cards marked with "SDHC"). I was told the software engineers are working on a solution.

Guess I'll just leave my SDHC 8gb class 2 card in place until they get it figured out...
    That's really strange, since I have an 8GB SDHC (Sandisk) card currently in my nook, and functioning just fine!

I've read that there is a problem once you reach a certain amount of data on the card. Sorry I can't recall the exact amount (I suffer from CRS ), but it's nowhere near the number of books that B&N advertises as the nook being able to hold.

Sue
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast