About Battery Life



Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Tiny Tim
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default About Battery Life

    I read somewhere--in this forum or the BN one--that battery life may improve after several charging cycles, especially if the battery is discharged to around 25% the first few times.

    So I've been trying that. I last charged my nook three days ago, and the battery is presently at 50%. I operate in Airplane Mode, and turn it off only once per day to check My Daily (but don't usually find anything of interest there--maybe later). I also read several times per day, but it's difficult to estimate how much nook time that is.

    I'll be happy if I get five or six days per charge, and perhaps battery life will improve further with a few more charging cycles.

    Has anyone had similar experience?



    Roger Hayes
    -retired federal park ranger
    -writer

  2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Benjamin Button ktrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    There are several other threads about battery life already on the site. You can get more info there by doing a search. But there does seem to be a battery life issue. If you had airplane mode on and got that kind of life I think you're doing good. The consensus seems to be to have airplane mode and off after to you turn off wifi. Try that once and see if it's not even better for you.

    Kevin
    NOW READING:

    STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

  4. #3
    Mowgli odobooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    I've also read that not turning the device fully off (let is go into, or put it into, sleep mode w/ screensaver) unless your going to leave it off for a few days also helps. It takes a pretty big hit on the battery during boot-up, apparently. That seemed to hold pretty true for me over the last week or so...
    - brian

    http://www.twitter.com/odobooks
    http://www.odobooks.com/

  5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Benjamin Button ktrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    Quote Originally Posted by odobooks
    I've also read that not turning the device fully off (let is go into, or put it into, sleep mode w/ screensaver) unless your going to leave it off for a few days also helps. It takes a pretty big hit on the battery during boot-up, apparently. That seemed to hold pretty true for me over the last week or so...
    Oh yea! I forgot to mention that Brian! Thanks for bringing that up. I always put mine into sleep mode and I have only booted mine up once from a shutdown since getting it. The other thing I do is always go back to the main menu where the wallpaper displays and then put to sleep. Doing so I have not lost any bookmarks yet. I'm worried that if I do have to do a full shutdown and reboot I might lose all my bookmarks.

    Kevin
    NOW READING:

    STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

  7. #5
    Mowgli odobooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    Oh yea! I forgot to mention that Brian! Thanks for bringing that up. I always put mine into sleep mode and I have only booted mine up once from a shutdown since getting it. The other thing I do is always go back to the main menu where the wallpaper displays and then put to sleep. Doing so I have not lost any bookmarks yet. I'm worried that if I do have to do a full shutdown and reboot I might lose all my bookmarks.

    Kevin
    In theory, your not supposed to. I've had some problems with mine either locking up or loosing bookmarks after going to sleep or rebooting, but I think that is more a software/book glitch...
    - brian

    http://www.twitter.com/odobooks
    http://www.odobooks.com/

  8. #6
    Tiny Tim
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    Um, I'm either confused or you are, Kevin. I don't think you're saying I'll get longer battery life with Airplane Mode on. It hooks up with Airplane Mode off, which of course takes more juice. (My original post said I "operate in Airplane Mode," which means it's on.

    Like you and Brian, I also employ sleep mode when not reading. That helps, too, of course.

    But I really wondered whether anyone else discharges their battery down to ~25% before charging, and is noticing prolonged battery life.
    Roger Hayes
    -retired federal park ranger
    -writer

  9. #7
    Puck
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    Does the e-ink screen actually use any power when in sleep mode with the screensaver displayed? I wonder if this is causing the draw on the battery. My Sony's screen goes blank when is sleep mode, and it's battery still shows a full charge and it hasn't been connected to my computer (the only want to charge it) since Christmas morning! Maybe B&N should just turn off the e-ink screen while in sleep mode and that might help with the problem...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

    Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

  10. #8
    Benjamin Button ktrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,097

    Default Re: About Battery Life

    Quote Originally Posted by rhayes
    Um, I'm either confused or you are, Kevin. I don't think you're saying I'll get longer battery life with Airplane Mode on. It hooks up with Airplane Mode off, which of course takes more juice. (My original post said I "operate in Airplane Mode," which means it's on.

    Like you and Brian, I also employ sleep mode when not reading. That helps, too, of course.

    But I really wondered whether anyone else discharges their battery down to ~25% before charging, and is noticing prolonged battery life.
    No it's me! I got it backwards. I have wifi off and airplane mode on.

    And as for the e-ink screen draining power Paul, I read somewher that it does not use any power once the page is there. It takes no power to keep showing the screensaver.

    Kevin
    NOW READING:

    STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Similar Threads

  1. Battery life
    By vickikoors in forum original nook
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
  2. 1.5 battery life improvements?
    By dkesterson in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM
  3. NC battery life
    By akfloyd in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
  4. Battery Life Help
    By difeq in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
  5. BAttery LIFE??
    By geckoking in forum nook Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.0