Wireless Service

ksfarmgirl

Default Wireless Service

I have had my nook for a couple weeks now and the only issue I really have with it so far is the lack of wireless coverage I am getting. I live in a rural area and according to the map I would be in a "partner area" and I cannot get an answer from BN as to whether I should have service or not. However, the last few days I've had wireless (not wi-fi) service in my house but if I get in the car I have nothing. I have successfully used my wi-fi but would really prefer to just use the wireless. Does anyone know if the partner areas are included in the contract? My kids have nooks and they get coverage always! Maybe it's using my wi-fi in the house, but it's showing the wireless signal when it's doing it. Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wireless Service

Have you tried turning the wifi off? Also, you do know that you will only see the signal strength indicator when you are actually accessing the AT&T network through the Store or Daily options on the nook. There is no reason for the nook to stay constantly connected. I'm also not sure why you would prefer to use the AT&T service and not the wi-fi at home. Your home wifi can access the B&N website and download images etc. far faster than the wireless service can. And contacting B&N to see if you have wireless available in your area would be useless. The service is provided by AT&T and so only AT&T can tell you how far their coverage extends.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

ksfarmgirl

I contacted BN because I was wondering if their contract with AT&T included ALL of AT&T's coverage area or only their 3G areas. I don't believe anyone at AT&T would be able to tell me about what they're providing for them. From what I have read my nook should work but it gets a little murky of course when you get outside of their main coverage areas. I have found the map on AT&T's website and that's how I know I'm in what's considered to be their partner area but would really like to know if I should have coverage.

I'm in the orange area of their map, but this is what I copied from their website about the type of coverage I have:
    PARTNER: The areas shown as an orange stripped pattern represent the coverage of unaffiliated carriers and should have sufficient signal strength for on-street or in-the-open coverage, but may not have it for in-vehicle coverage or in-building coverage. Excessive use of Partner coverage may subject your service to early termination, in accordance with your service terms. Data services may not be available.

Here's the link to the map: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverage...43359375&sci=3

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Well, the nook is only supposed to connect to the AT&T 3G wireless network according to B&N's webpage. So, I would assume that excludes any partner areas. If you are in a partner area and happen to get coverage in some places it's just because the 3G network extends to that area. If you want to see if you have 3G coverage in or near you then you can use this link:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.jsp

Or you can call your local AT&T store, like I did before I bought the nook, to be sure that 3G is available in your area.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

ksfarmgirl

Well that's what I was afraid of. I had read that it used their 3G network, but then I thought I had read that it had more coverage than that. Maybe I just decided not to worry about it since it had the wi-fi connectivity! Oh well even with that little hiccup I still think I like it better than the Kindle! And you are correct about how much more quickly books download over my wi-fi than they would over the wireless anyhow.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!