Got my Nook early but it doesn't work - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Got my Nook early but it doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by adria
    OK, thanks guys for the great free tech. support. The battery was my next step. I want to fix the darn thing just because I'm curious as to why it doesn't work (it's a techie-dork thing). However, I'm not convinced the Nook is for me. The interface is a little clunky and the touch pad is not what I expected. It is also a little slow (but this could be due to the fact that it isn't working correctly). I think I'm willing to wait for better readers to come out with color screens and internet capabilities (browser would be nice for example). By then, we will probably have flat "paper-like" all-in-one devices, that house ebooks and can display your cloud, hosted, computer too.
    From what you describe it sounds like you have the original nook software and have not downloaded the firmware update. Be sure to get an online connection for your nook if you do NOT have version 1.1.1. This IS important!!! Judging the device without the latest update is a totally unfair appraisal. The great thing about the nook is that the firmware can be updated and it will do it automatically for you but you have to leave it on either in wifi mode or airplane mode off. The more I read from you the less I am sure there is a nook issue as much as you not doing what needs to be done to get it working properly. The things we have suggested are simple and have resolved other user problems in the past. You're not the first to think they got a lemon!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

You might want to check out the B&N boards. There is a lot of information on there for tech support. I wouldn't give up on the nook without checking the threads over there. Unfortunately, I don't have my nook yet, so I can't offer much more than that. If you still decide that the nook isn't for you, then you're right, there are a bunch of new ereaders that look really neat. The Alex seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews. It looks really cool.

adria

Update: I got it working correctly but I'm still not happy with the Nook. The interface is slow and clunky, it flashes every you turn a page or do anything. It's just not the smooth and slick interface I was hoping for. I'm going to wait for the Apple reader to come out later this year because it will be like an iTouch which I love: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/30...ch-in-fall-09/ .

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Ah, if you see the "flash" as a problem, then yes, you should wait for a different product. All of the e-readers currently on the market (to my knowledge) use the same e-paper, from the same manufacture, and they all act the same way.
    Xan

Update: I got it working correctly but I'm still not happy with the Nook. The interface is slow and clunky, it flashes every you turn a page or do anything. It's just not the smooth and slick interface I was hoping for. I'm going to wait for the Apple reader to come out later this year because it will be like an iTouch which I love: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/30...ch-in-fall-09/ .
    The flash is part of the design of eink and it is intentional. Trust me you get used to it very quickly! The flash is the way that the eink refreshes to the next page instead of holding text in memory and scrolling through like on a computer. It's designed to conserve battery life. Sorry you don't like the nook. Perhaps your experience with it will compel you to try the Apple I-Pod Touch before you waste your money again. Personally I think the device will be overkill if you are wanting to read ebooks. It's not going to be designed for ebooks and book readers but will be capable of it I'm sure. The problem has been and will continue to be the backlight eye fatigue. If you don't read for long periods of time it will be no problem. Come back after the Apple comes out and let us know what you think of it. OK? Until then adiós!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

FYI, all rumors point to it being a tablet computer, not a reader, and most estimates have it going for upwards of $1000. Even if it's cheaper than that, it will be considerably more expensive than a nook or Kindle and will probably not be anywhere near as easy on the eyes (as Kevin pointed out).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12