Got my Nook early but it doesn't work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    adria

Default Got my Nook early but it doesn't work

I received my Nook a few days early. I was on the Jan 15 waiting list.

It doesn't work. I downloaded an ebook and opened it. It froze the device after two pages rendering the device unresponsive. I had to reboot the Nook. When I reopened the ebook a message is rendered on screen that says the ebook cannot be opened. This happened with the ebook I purchased as well as the three books that come with the device.

Waste of money and I'm so saddened as I waited with such excitement for my Nook to arrive. B&N is unresponsive to my customer service requests or perhaps I'm just too angry and disappointing to wait for a response. I waited long enough, I don't want to wait any longer for something that's only going to cause problems.

I'm returning it and buying a Kindle. So sad, it had such promise and I really liked the Nook's features more than the Kindle. Oh well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Got my Nook early but it doesn't work

If you want to try to get it fixed we've got some helpful folks around here.

My suggestion would be to turn Nook off, take the battery out, then turn it back on after replacing the battery. Also fully charge Nook before using it for any length of time.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Tom Sawyer

Ug, sorry to hear that. I could understand maybe a bad formatting of a purchased book, but having problems with the included ones are strange. Most people are able to open and read those fine.

A few suggestions (I don't have my nook yet, but am a natural debugger ):

- Have you verified the nook has been update to the latest firmware (1.1.0 or 1.1.1)? If not, I would update it and try again.
    - On the B&N help boards, I read this to help with fixing frozen nooks: remove the battery, leave it out for a minute, then put it back in and let the nook charge for a couple of hours.

It sucks to wait so long and then have it not work. I hope that you can get it up and going.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I agree with the above comments. That's terrible if you got a lemon, and it has happened to a few users. But if you haven't tried just about everything, I'd put a good amount of time in trying to see if I could get it fixed before giving up entirely.
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

I'm sorry to hear that your nook did not work out of the box but it might be a minor problem and not the huge deal you're making it out to be. I would do as suggested. Remove the battery and then reinstall it and boot back up. Charge your battery to full power before trying to do anything with the unit. When it is charged make sure you turn off airplane mode and if you have wifi turn it on and let the 1.1.1 update install. I suspect that you tried to use the nook before the update had completed installation. They also tell you NOT to use the nook without charging to full the first time. So, in other words this could be a "user" problem and not a problem with the nook at all.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

adria

I did charge the Nook all the way before using it as I saw that in the instructions. It did not prompt me to update it though. Although it should be able to read at least the ebooks that came with the device before the updates are made.

Let me ask you guys a question. Could this be a connection issue? The Nook had no problem recognizing my account and it automatically showed the ebooks I purchased. Shouldn't the device have given me a "cannot connect" error instead of a "cannot open this ebook" message? The device showed a WiFi signal on the top menu bar.

Tom Sawyer

I know that everyone else has said it already, but a lot of people have had the same problems and fixed them by removing the battery for a minute (or two!) and putting it back together, and re-charging it. You've probably tried it, but I can't stress enough that that's been the solution to almost every inquiry about these problems. But like I said before, it's also completely possible you got a lemon.
    Now reading: Sula by Toni Morrison, Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes

Puck

I had the same problem the day I got mine. It froze 2 times! I took the battery out and powered it down like everyone said. I noticed the download icon in the right corner and left it alone while it finished. After that it was fine! I wouldn't give up on it, I think you will disappointed! Good luck!
    ~*Stephanie*~

Currently reading on Two-Lu - BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS by Kami Garcia

Bask in my normalcy and read my ramblings on my blog - http://www.rowdysmommy.blogspot.com/

I really do think that taking the battery out and retrying it is the answer. As has been said many others have had a similar problem initially. It does not mean you have a bad nook. The other two things you could try would be to unregister your nook and reset back to factory settings (after you try the battery things). Then re-register and connect either to the wifi or the AT&T network and let it download the update if your unit does not show 1.1.1. If you do already have the update then try archiving the titles on your nook and then unarchiving them. If the problem is not reolved after doing the above then you probably have a lemon and I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to wait but posting all over the board about how bad the nook is won't be helpful because that is only YOUR experience and not the experience of most of us.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

adria

OK, thanks guys for the great free tech. support. The battery was my next step. I want to fix the darn thing just because I'm curious as to why it doesn't work (it's a techie-dork thing). However, I'm not convinced the Nook is for me. The interface is a little clunky and the touch pad is not what I expected. It is also a little slow (but this could be due to the fact that it isn't working correctly). I think I'm willing to wait for better readers to come out with color screens and internet capabilities (browser would be nice for example). By then, we will probably have flat "paper-like" all-in-one devices, that house ebooks and can display your cloud, hosted, computer too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast