flickering lines on lcd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    torange

Default flickering lines on lcd

has anyone noticed very subtle flickering lines (moving left or right) appear when pressing the screen occasionally. It seems like when i try to scroll through cover flow, they tend to appear more often, i wish i could describe the phenomenon better... anyway, I don't know whether to try to replace it or if its a common problem...i wish my local bn had some on display to play with...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: flickering lines on lcd

I've not noticed this, but then I rarely use the LCD Screen while reading... It's kind of slow, so I don't use it unless I have to when I select a new book or have to turn on the receiver to download new content (which I wish you could do with a switch or button on the side rather than having to navigate several screens to turn off Airplane Mode, then turn on wi-fi, then turn off wi-fi and then turn airplane mode back on again!)...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

mikecyber

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58
    (which I wish you could do with a switch or button on the side rather than having to navigate several screens to turn off Airplane Mode, then turn on wi-fi, then turn off wi-fi and then turn airplane mode back on again!)...
    With every Android device I've owned (4, I'm in the Feb 1st shipping group, but thats Ok because I have a shiny new Nexus One), turning Airplane Mode -On- turns off all of the radios (3G/Wifi) and turning it -Off- turns the radios back on. It can take a brief moment to see the radios turn off. If your device's airplane mode doesn't work like this, I would call tech support and let the know about the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

mikecyber

Quote Originally Posted by torange
    has anyone noticed very subtle flickering lines (moving left or right) appear when pressing the screen occasionally.
    That sounds quite possible with the hardware B&N used for the nook. What are your brightness settings?

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by mikecyber
    With every Android device I've owned (4, I'm in the Feb 1st shipping group, but thats Ok because I have a shiny new Nexus One), turning Airplane Mode -On- turns off all of the radios (3G/Wifi) and turning it -Off- turns the radios back on. It can take a brief moment to see the radios turn off. If your device's airplane mode doesn't work like this, I would call tech support and let the know about the problem.
    One would think that it should work like that, but there have been a few folks here who have discovered that you can extend your battery life a bit more by turning off wi-fi before turning on airplane mode. I can't explain why, but maybe wi-fi is only partically tuned off but the wi-fi module is still drawing a bit of power even if transmit/receive is disabled...

Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

My question would be is are you sure it's flickering lines and not the sensors you are seeing. I noticed that if the light was just right I saw what seemed to be moving lines but when I examined more closely I could see very small dots positioned througout the screen. Those are the sensors.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

torange

Quote Originally Posted by Ktrek
    My question would be is are you sure it's flickering lines and not the sensors you are seeing. I noticed that if the light was just right I saw what seemed to be moving lines but when I examined more closely I could see very small dots positioned througout the screen. Those are the sensors.

Kevin
    no these are definitely moving lines and not part of the digitizer (which has an array of dots spaced across the lcd)

torange

Does anyone else notice this or have this problem? I don't know whether I should try to get it replaced...

If you are still experiencing the problem after removing the battery and trying a restart and possibly even a reset, then I would call and try and get a replacement. My LCD does not flicker at all. It's not normal behavior. There may be a loose connection or something.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by torange
    Does anyone else notice this or have this problem? I don't know whether I should try to get it replaced...
    Yes, I believe I see what you are seeing. I think it is a side effect of the capacitive touch screen. The vertical "lines" only appear when I either touch the screen or hold my finger very near it. The effect is most noticeable on the "empty" areas of the screen that have a grey background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast