Touch screen test with hardware buttons or touch screen use

mos

Default Touch screen test with hardware buttons or touch screen use

I was curious, if it uses more battery using the hardware buttons for turning pages or the touchscreen.

I tried it today. First checked the battery status than went to the reading now botton and waited till the touchscreen turned off. Than I turned 100 pages with the side buttons. After that, lighted up the touch screen and went to settings. I used 1% using the side buttons.

I did the same thing with the touch screen than. Same result it used 1% too. That suprised me a little bit. I would have guessed, that it would use more, when using the touch screen.
    so long,
    mos

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Touch screen test with hardware buttons or touch screen use

I'd be interested in seeing the difference in battery consumption doing your test with Airplane Mode on/Wi-Fi off, Airplane Mode off, Wi-Fi off, and Airplane Mode off, Wi-Fi on... Just curious if the Wi-Fi on or off makes a huge difference.
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

mos

Paul, I did the test 2 more times with different setting.

Airplane mode: On
    Wifi: on
    Buttons :1%
    Touch : 1%

Airplane mode: off
    Wifi: on
    Buttons: 1%
    Touch: 1%

So all 3 settings have the same result. I think that the battery is going down so fast, has something to do with the availability of the 3G network. It does not have anything to do with the wifi. setting. That is at least my conclusion. And of course how much and often you use the touch screen. My touch screen setting is Off after 10 sec.

It would be interesting if somenone who lives in the States and in the At&T 3G area has the same results as I have here in Germany where the AT&T network is not available. I turned the pages right after each other, as soon as the screen refreshed, I turned it again.
    so long,
    mos

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

I didn't realize you were in Germany! I'm still surprised that more power wasn't consumed with Wi-Fi and 3G on, even if it didn't connect to anything! I'll have to give it a try tonight and see what happens...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

mos

Make sure, that in both test the touchscreen is off! The thing that uses very much battery is the touch screen I did several other test today. Having the touchscreen on for 5 minutes used 3% off the battery power. It didn't make a big difference, if wifi or flight modus was on. That thing that kills the battery is the touch screen.
    so long,
    mos

Administrator

I think because the tough screen is always on to be ready for a page turn, you're gonna use the same power eitehr way. So you're not saving power by using the buttons because the screen is ready for a swipe anyway. I foudn that turning off my "Automatic Brightness" (or whatever it's called) helped quite a bit with my battery power, I think because it wasn't trying to detect the light outside and adjusting the screen accordingly all on it's own.

Rachel
    Visit the Barnes & Noble Store

Now Reading: As Young as We Feel by Melanie Carlson