unable to open epub library books in my documents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default unable to open epub library books in my documents

Hi, I posted this on the help boards also, no suggestions yet, perhaps someone here can help.

I have 3 books in my ADE library: #1 free book from Kobo; #2 & #3 downloaded from Sacramento library. All are EPUB. For the first time today, I hooked the nook to the computer via USB. Opened ADE, authorized nook. Closed ADE. Found the files for all three in my documents/digital editions folder on my computer. Dragged all 3 files to my documents folder on nook. Computer showed all being copied to nook. Properly ejected nook. Went to my documents on nook, checked for new content. All three titles are there. Book #1, no problems. When I try to open books 2 & 3, nook says formatting and goes back to list of titles. If I go to view item details and options, it does offer "read" option. "Read" then goes to "formatting" and back to list of titles. I even deleted the two books giving me problems and went back to re download them from the library. I tried copy and paste instead of drag and drop....totally befuddled. Seems that most formatting issues occur in the B &N library and are resolved by using my documents. The book details and file path are all there, I just can't get to actually reading the books! Any ideas? I keep feeling as though I missed something but the first book opens just fine. Oh, after the first failure I did power down the nook and start her up again, no change. Thanks for any help,

Cheryl

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: unable to open epub library books in my documents

Instead of using the drag and drop using Explore have you tried opening ADE and dropping them onto the nook in ADE? ADE recognizes the nook if it is hooked up when you open the program. You will see it listed on the left hand side as "nook". Once you have them on the nook then see if the find new content finds and opens the books. I suspect that ADE has not "authorized" the books.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply....I was avoiding doing that as earlier posters on the nook help boards indicated that could mess up the nook and recommended the drag and drop or cut and past route to be safe. And the weird thing is that the first one (from Kobo) is fine. I may have to try that though or wait until the update and retry the whole procedure. Fortunately they are library books, but still a bit of a bummer.

Cheryl

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Hi Cheryl - I noticed today that Adobe has issued an updated ADE. You might try uninstalling the current version and installing the latest and see if it will authorize it for the nook but be sure that you have the current versions install file just in case the newest version has even more bugs. (I'm referring to ADE not the nook)

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

I think Kevin is right. It's possible ADE may need to authorize the ebooks to use on your Nook. Alternatively you could also try to drag-n-drop the library ebooks to the "digital editions" folder on Nook. This is a folder that is created by ADE that it syncs to.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

mos

When you look in your folder structur of the Nook in the Explorer, do you have there a adobe digital edition folder? If not, that is probably the reason, why you cannot open the books. I transfered my books via ADE to my Nook and have no problem to open them. But I also have this new folder in my Nook folder structure. Maybe the rights to open the book are in there and the Nook needs them.

Or maybe the books from the library are not suppose to be read on an eReader. Over here, we can lend eBooks in the library, but not all can be opended on a reader. Some are only to be opended on a computer or laptop. It says that next to the books. But I don'T know, if you have theses diffrence in the States too.
    so long,
    mos

Tom Sawyer

In my case, I open the books with ADE and drag them to the nook icon on the left. Then I find the nook on my computer (in my case, I have a mac and the nook icon is on my desktop), double click, find the digital editions folder and drag it to the My Documents folder, then eject. That is the only way I have found to read library books via ADE on my nook.

Good luck
    Well behaved women rarely make history.

Mr. Darcy

thanks everyone, I'm going to try several of your ideas today, but I think Mos may have hit on the problem. I just took a closer look at the library site, there are icons below the Adobe epub line that indicate what the ebook plays on, i.e. pc, mac, ipod, wma, mp3, or burn to cd. I was interpreting those as "downloads to" rather than "plays on". It never occurred to me that there "should" be an ereader icon, since I was downloading to my pc and then moving it to nook. Such a bummer if this is the problem as none of the books I could see have an ereader icon, strange to offer ebooks that can't open on an ereader!

Cheryl

I wonder if there is a workaround for this? Could Calibre help?

Mowgli

I don't know that the ereader icon is the issue. The nook can read Adobe epub files; there aren't different flavors of that (as far as I know). In reading your description of your process, one thing to make sure you're doing (I couldn't tell if this was the case) is that the transfer of the ebooks to your nook on your computer needs to be done within the Adobe Digital Edition program, not using Windows Explorer. It sounded like you closed ADE after you authorized your nook and then did the transfer using Explorer; the library books will not transfer to your nook properly unless you use ADE.

Mr. Darcy

Getting there... A third library book that I had on my request list became available and I downloaded it to ADE. Dragged it within ADE to nook, then as Jennifer said, moved digital editions folder within nook to my documents within nook, ejected, etc. success! Then I tried with the other two library books and when dragged to the nook icon within ADE, I got the message "unable to be copied, no permission to copy document here". Not sure what that means, whose permission? Getting closer, at least I have a couple of freebies to read now!

I really appreciate everyone's help, this is such a friendly forum!

Cheryl

Woohoo! Happy to report its working...since I was having such a problem I had downloaded the books from the library more than once...tried to get them on nook and added and deleted a couple of times. Had to find the right download to move to the nook folder on ADE. Then cutting and pasting from the nook digital editions to the nook my documents worked!!!! Thank you thank you thank you, couldn't have gotten here without everyone's advice, lots of freebies to read now, hooray!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast