Here's a really duh question. Got my Nook today. I cannot figure out>>>>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Here's a really duh question. Got my Nook today. I cannot figure out>>>>>

[size=10pt]how to get to the dictionary or the encyclopedia. I've been playing with it trying to get familiar with everything. I have read the User Guide, but there is no explanation about HOW. It just says to do it. I need 1, 2, 3, steps. Anybody willing to help is appreciated in advance.
    Diogenes
    [/size]

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Here's a really duh question. Got my Nook today. I cannot figure out>>>>>

I don't believe there is an encyclopedia, and the dictionary is accessed by choosing Look up word from the menu and then highlighting a word in the text using the arrows in the menu.
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Here's a really duh question. Got my Nook today. I cannot figure out>>>>>

Thanks, Paul, but I can't find where it says "dictionary" anywhere on my screen. What section is it listed under? I thought it should be settings, but I see nothing except the command to do it. I don't know where I got that there was an encyclopedia--have tried to read about all the e-readers since before Christmas, so I probably just assumed--bad move, as we know what assume does. Anyway, I have put my new Nook to bed for the night. I am somewhat frustrated--so many options. Perhaps, as I walk away from it and start again this weekend, it will be obvious. My husband was reading on his computer trying to find out too because we both read with dictionaries, an Atlas, the internet--whatever we need to stop and discuss places and events depending on the level of the book, so having the dictionary in the Nook will be helpful, if I can ever locate it. I did order a Nook for my husband for Valentine's, so we can have our own. We read some of the same authors, but more often than not, we choose different arenas. Pardon my verbosity--I am a teacher--so talking and writing and especially reading always make me longwinded. Though Shakespeare wrote that "Brevity is the sould of wit..." and I have quoted that often and taught the plays for years, I don't heed Will's words!
    Diogenes

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

You can only access the dictionary while you are reading a book. Once you have a book open, you can find the "look up" option on the LCD screen. Then a little wheel will pop-up on the LCD screen and then you can click on an up, down, right, or left arrow until you highlight the word that you want to look up. Then you press "look up" on the LCD screen.

I hope that helps!

Roxie

Puck

Here are two pictures that may help.

This is what the screen looks like while you are reading a book (while the LCD screen is on).

This is a picture of what it looks like to look up a word while reading a book.

Roxie

Tom Sawyer

That's awesome Roxie.... this is something I hadn't figured out myself, either!

I think what may be hindering Diogenes is that the LCD also scrolls up and down for more options. Some screens have more than will fit on a single page on the LCD. So, just swipe your finger up or down to access other options. The nook is not too difficult once you get used to manuevering by touch screen. And small little taps and swips work the best I have found.

Cool that you're getting your hubby his own. If you put them both on the same Barnes and Noble account you can share any books on that account on both nooks. Otherwise you will have to lend each other books, if they are lendable, and you can only lend once. So, my advice is to register both nooks to the same account.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Puck

I guess I forgot to mention that you can't browse the dictionary on the nook, a feature I think is lacking! What if I want to look up a word that's not in a book I'm currently reading? Guess I'm SOL! LOL!

I also should have mentioned that you have to scroll down on the menu to find the "Look up word" option. It's definetly not the most intuitive menu system, but you'll get it the more you play!

There are a lot of the menus that you have to scroll to see all the options, look for the bar on the right hand side of the LCD Screen, if it's there you have more options available. Scrolling can be a challenge to, more times than not I select an option when I'm trying to scroll! It's frustrating at first, but eventually you get the hang of it...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

Roxie,
    Thanks so much. I did it, but I'm not sure how I got to the "look up" screen. I think I didn't swipe up far enough to find it. When I'm reading, (right now using the free pre-loaded Pride and Prrejudice before I purchase any other books), I'm going to close and go back to My Library and see if I can find the right screen again. Thanks for the pictures; those are a tremendous help. I had no idea what the screen would look like.
    Maybe I'll get better with time. I'm not a tech of the even the slightest nature, just a retired English teacher who loves technology, but I do have to go one step at a time to get my gadgets so that they're easy. Sometimes it takes me longer, but I'll get there with help.
    I appreciate you so much. :whew: I am not quick, so grateful for your time to help me.
    Diogenes

Mr. Darcy

One thing that puzzles me about the dictionary:

On MY B&N on the web site, in My Library, the Merriam Webster Pocket Dictionary was, and still is, listed as one of my free books when I first signed up. It is listed as one of my books when I access my account on my Blackberry. However, it does NOT show up as one of my B&N library books on the nook.

1. Is that because it operates as the dictionary on the nook, and is hidden? And if so:

2. What would happen to my nook If I accidentally deleted it on my account?

3. Is this all explained in the user guide and I was just too lazy to look for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast