Strange PC problems when connecting Nook

Mr. Darcy

Default Strange PC problems when connecting Nook

Most times when I connect my Nook to my PC, my monitors go black and won't revert back to the normal screen. I then have to hit the reset button, or turn off the PC completely in order to get back to a normal session. Of course, once I do that and reconnect the Nook, I take a chance that it will happen all over again. It does seem that it happens about 75% of the time. Once it does get connected, everything is fine.

I have no trouble connecting my Ipod, camera, external drives, or thumbdrives. It only happens on my Nook.

Has anyone else experienced this?

FWIW, I run Windows 7 64-bit.

John

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Strange PC problems when connecting Nook

Pretty strange John. It may be a compatibility issue with Windows 7 and the nook's android operating system. It's probably something that should be reported to Tech Support and B&N and see if they can duplicate it on another machine with Windows 7. It should be compatible but you know how these things go. It's often hard to make sure software is compatible with every version out there.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

Can't really help, but wanted to report that I also am using Windows 7 64 bit and haven't experienced any issues with nook connection. I also think B&N tech support is your best bet with this one, hope you can get it worked out. Will be curious to know what you find out.

Cheryl

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

I don't use Win 7 (I'm still with XP on my PC and recently switched to a MacBook), but with the advancement of technology, is it possible there is a setting within Win 7 for an alternate external display device and Win 7 thinks your nook is such a device and is shutting down your primary display?
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson

Mr. Darcy

It isn't a problem with compatibility. I should have noted this happens before it is completely connected. If I am able to get it completely connected with the monitors not blanking out, then it is all good. I am beginning to think it may have something to do with static. It is just strange to me that i don't have any issues with other USB peripherals.

Puck

Do you have another computer you can connect your nook to? Does the same thing happen?
    Also, do you connect the cable to the computer and then plug into the nook, or is the cable already plugged into the nook when you connect to the computer?

If it happens on both computers then it has to do with either the nook or the cable. If it happens when you connect the cable to the computer without the nook connected, it might be a short or open within the cable. If it happens when you connect the nook to the cable with the cable already connected to the computer the problem may lie within the micro usb connector in the nook.

Just trying to think of some basic troubleshooting to try and see if you can isolate the problem to a specific piece of equipment...
    Paul...
    Proud owner of a rare and exclusive autographed copy of the soon to be classic novel: Boomerang, by Alan Hutcheson!

Now reading:
    Man of Steel, by Dave Conifer
    The Murder of King Tut, by James Patterson