Backing up (free or purchased) e-books on our PC

Mad Hatter

Default Backing up (free or purchased) e-books on our PC

I use Calibre and it stores a copy of each e-book that I've put into that software's 'library' on our PC in the Calibre Library folder. Each of the Author folders in that library directory contains a cover pix file as well as the eBook file.

NOTE: A side question I have is - What is the number in parenthesis next to the Author's folder book title's subfolder?

Is there any reason I should also save a copy of each of my e-books in another location on my PC? Is there a chance that Calibre Library folder would be removed or deleted if I were to uninstall Calibre?

FYI: I do backups of our harddrives a couple times a week. If I come across sounding paranoid, that would be pretty true.

Donna

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Backing up (free or purchased) e-books on our PC

I've wondered about that number in parenthesis myself but don't know what it is. It hasn't bothered me enough to find out.

I do suggest also storing your ebooks in another spot on your computer. That's how I do it. When I download a new ebook I import it into Calibre, edit the metadata to my liking, then save the ebook (with the updated metadata) in another directly which also gets backed up when those run.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu
    I've wondered about that number in parenthesis myself but don't know what it is. It hasn't bothered me enough to find out.

I do suggest also storing your ebooks in another spot on your computer. That's how I do it. When I download a new ebook I import it into Calibre, edit the metadata to my liking, then save the ebook (with the updated metadata) in another directly which also gets backed up when those run.

Regards,
    Michael
    Thanks, Michael... That's exactly what I do now and the other directory set is the one I backup.

I like editing the metadata (especially the tags) as it allows me to record what I've read as well as the physical page count - Those are the things that are useful to me right now when I view my Calibre screen.

Also, I save the alternate file formats (as sometimes I find I have to convert files to get them to view/read better on my Nook) of the books that I've got in that other directory set.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

The extra number is just a count that Calibre generates to keep track of books. Say you try to import a different version of a book you already have. Normally you'd have to overwrite the existing copy, or name it something different. But since Calibre adds the extra number you can have multiple copies of a book with the same title.

I don't keep another copy of my ebooks on my computer, but I do mirror the directory over to my file server using Windows LiveSync. Every time a book is added to Caibre on my laptop, the file is copied to the server. Since Calibre keeps it's database in the same folder it also get's copied over when things change. I'm eventually switching that over to a program called rsync, because I've heard it's more efficient when transferring data. At some point I'm also setting up an actual backup schedule for the server.

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Baka no Kami
    The extra number is just a count that Calibre generates to keep track of books. Say you try to import a different version of a book you already have. Normally you'd have to overwrite the existing copy, or name it something different. But since Calibre adds the extra number you can have multiple copies of a book with the same title.
    Thanks for the info!

Donna