Problem connecting to computer

Oliver

Default Problem connecting to computer

I purchased a Nook last week. So far, 100% of the time when I connect it to the computer (laptop), I get a message on the Nook that says "If you want to use your nook, and continue charging, please choose Eject or Unmount from the menu for the nook drive on your computer."

First, this makes no sense as advice - doesn't it have to be connected to be cahrged?

Second, how the heck am I supposed to sync it with files on the computer if it always tells me to disconnect?

FWIW, I left it plugged in overnight and it did charge. And, ignoring the message, I seem to have been able to transfer one free book from a website, and also a handful of audiobooks. However, I can not subsequently find the audiobooks.

This time, I was attempting a firmware upgrade but can't get to that screen because the device won't respond. Apparently, I can register it without connecting it, but I can't upgrade the software?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Problem connecting to computer

Hi Rica!

I get that message on my nook every time I connect to my computer, it's perfectly normal. All it means is that if you want to read while you are charging via USB, you would need to eject first. And I usually charge using the wall plug. It takes less time, and seems to charge to 100% instead of a lesser amount (about 97% by USB).

As far as your audiobooks, I believe they need to be placed in a music folder? I'm not totally sure on this as I don't have any myself, but I know I've seen posts fussing about them being lumped in with music.

For your update, are you able to connect to wifi with your nook? If so, you should be able to check for new content and it should update on its own.

Sue
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Oliver

Thanks for your help. I'm finding there is something of a learning curve with all of this! I bought the nook as a gift for my mom, wanted to preload some audio books before sending it, also some free ebooks. Now I'm told by the staff at the B&N in town that if I unregister it in my name, everything I've downloaded will vanish? They were a bit vague as to whether this would affect non-B&N files.

As to the audiobooks, apparently the file type for listening on my ipod (.aa) is not the correct file type for the nook (.mP3) and somehoe the apparently intuitive free converter software I downloaded last night... doesn't recognize the files either. So I am faced with re-downloading them in a different format then installing them. What the nook does with files it can't read is, pretend they aren't there at all, which is why I can't find them. You are correct that they are stored under "Music," same as in my ipod and also my Droid. Just FYI.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Were you able to get it to update?
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Mowgli

You can't use audio books on the Nook. The Nook doesn't support wma format at this time.

Oliver

Thanks for the inquiry. I did get it to upgrade by downloading the upgrade to my laptop then dragging the update to the nook.

I had thought that audiobooks were mP3 files, am just learning about the difference. This is a major disappointment as the double option was a major selling point for me when choosing to buy my mom a nook instead of an ipod. Oh, well, what's another $150 or so for both.

d'Artagnan

Are WMA audio books DRM'd or can you simply convert them to MP3 using the free version of Switch?
    I believe the free (non-commercial) version handles WMA and MP3 formats.
    peace out...

Oliver

I don't know all the terms you used, but at the suggestion of a B&N employee, I did download a free converter program, which could not recognize the files, so they are protected in some way. I assume that's what you were asking.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Rica
    I don't know all the terms you used, but at the suggestion of a B&N employee, I did download a free converter program, which could not recognize the files, so they are protected in some way. I assume that's what you were asking.
    Yep, that's what I was asking. Sorry bout the techo-babble
    That protection you mention falls under DRM (Digital Rights Management).
    Here's the face I make when DRM doesn't allow me to use things I've purchased:
    peace out...